The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

jlm

Workshop Member
Vivek: i'll get back to you...my e-mail was in hell since friday, just got it online again yesterday afternoon

M

marknorton

Thanks for the welcome, guys, and great job Jim on those adapters. I'll be having one of each... It's going to be a revelation using M lenses in a through-the-lens configuration without all the complexity of the Visoflex.

Jono, I'm really pleased how quiet the camera is, how does it compare to the upgraded M8?

J

jinrongshanghai

hello there everyone... I'm quite new... Just got my G1 black in hand yesterday... thinking to get the M-M4/3 adapter as well (adapting from a beat-up OUFRO)...

have a question for the lens registry of M4/3, it only says it's about 20mm, but it's not a precise number, isn't it? Ex. 4/3 lens registry has it as 38.67mm)... I searched, but seems no one has definite answer for that?

Vivek, how you make it with your adapter? (you assume it as 20mm ? if so, does it pre- infinity focus ? meaning it already hit infinity while the lens scale is not at infinity yet?) can you share your thoughts? it's OK for 'pre-infinity' with only the side-effect of the lens scale mis-matched with actual distance.

greetings from SHA :)

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Scott
Vivek has it with the link - I bought mine from this guy, and he was fast and efficient. Be careful though - there are only a few lenses where the autofocus currently works on the G1, and neither of those are it. Mind you, I've been shooting all day with the 50mm macro and manual focusing, it really is very easy and quick . . . just not as quick as autofocus!
The pancake lens does autofocus, as does the 9-18 and a few others.
The pancake 25 sounds like a natural to use with the G1 or the OlyM43-in-the-bush. When I put it on my E3 it just looks and feels awkward. But the 50/2 is such a natural fit to the E3 for certain kinds of shooting, that I don't think I'll go to the trouble of trying it on the simpler platform. And the concept of putting a 50-200 onto an M4/3 body is hilarious. I can see why using the M-adapter to get the CV12 and CV15 would be attractive.

But it looks as if this is leading to a camera with typical widest apertures in the 2.8 to 4 range and a sensor that does good landscape up to ISO 800, then can be used in b/w as a Frank/Klein box at 800 - 3200 (somewhat the way the GX-200 and GR-D are used). So what's the gain?

scott

jonoslack

The pancake 25 sounds like a natural to use with the G1 or the OlyM43-in-the-bush. When I put it on my E3 it just looks and feels awkward. But the 50/2 is such a natural fit to the E3 for certain kinds of shooting, that I don't think I'll go to the trouble of trying it on the simpler platform.
Well, the focusing on the G1 in 'live view' is really accurate and quick, of course, you can do the same with the E3, but it's much slower, noisier and more cumbersome.

And the concept of putting a 50-200 onto an M4/3 body is hilarious. I can see why using the M-adapter to get the CV12 and CV15 would be attractive.
Yes - the 50-200 does look a little silly, and the manual focusing isn't great - so both that and the 12-60 are better off on the E3

But it looks as if this is leading to a camera with typical widest apertures in the 2.8 to 4 range and a sensor that does good landscape up to ISO 800,
Well, I think there will be lots of new lenses - it sounds like Olympus are heading towards the primes - panasonic have already announced 3 new lenses

These are the "14-140mm F4.0-5.6 O.I.S. HD," which will prove to be a very convenient wide angle zoom lens, "7-14mm F4.0" a super wide-angle zoom lens, and the "20mm F1.7" a bright single focus pancake lens.

Panasonic have also said that Leica will be involved to some extent.

so, wider apertures, and of course, with the m lenses you can go very fast - worth mentioning that the manual focusing is splendid, and if you're shooting down to around f5.6 you don't need to use stop down metering as the viewfinder will gain for you automatically.

then can be used in b/w as a Frank/Klein box at 800 - 3200 (somewhat the way the GX-200 and GR-D are used). So what's the gain?

scott
I think it's noise characteristics are a little better than the E3, so comparisons with the tiny sensors in the GX-200 and GR-d are pretty irrelevant (of course, the G1 has a much bigger sensor, and much lower pixel density, but you know that).

The point really, is that the camera is quite a 'new thing', using it one begins to understand the real possibilities with it, notably in that using alien lenses has very little impact on functionality (except for the loss of autofocus). For instance, I find the concept of using an OUFRO and an adaptor to make the 75mm summicron into a tiny 150mm f2 macro lens pretty exciting.

I cordially dislike EVF viewfinders, but with this one, it's such quality and the autofocus and shutter lag are so small . .. . My only criticism is that it could be quieter.

jonoslack

Thanks for the welcome, guys, and great job Jim on those adapters. I'll be having one of each... It's going to be a revelation using M lenses in a through-the-lens configuration without all the complexity of the Visoflex.
I think so too - trying to convince Scott looks tricky though!

Jono, I'm really pleased how quiet the camera is, how does it compare to the upgraded M8?
I was actually slightly disappointed, and I hope that the Olympus showing is quieter. I'd say it's about the same volume as the upgraded M8, but shorter, and less metallic.

jonoslack

Novoflex Adaptor in the UK:

novoflex micro 4/3 adaptor

I was sent there by Novoflex, they're expecting delivery next week.

FWIW

Scott - I see you are not to be convinced!
Maybe a nice little Olympus version with some primes would convince you, but you'll have to wait until PMA. (at least).
I'm afraid that lens roadmaps need to be take with more than a small pinch of salt!

monza

They really need to get the 20/1.7 out quickly. But even then, that's just a relatively fast 40mm equivalent. I'd *really* like to have a wide angle prime. The kit lens is good at equiv. 28mm/3.5, but I'd really like something in the 20mm range, even f/4 would be great. I'm generally not a fan of zooms...

V

Vivek

There seems to be only one option for the 10mm range- the Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8 lens.

It is big, ugly and weighs a ton (Very expensive as well. A new sample in arri mount is more than the current Noctilux).

But it does the job very well.:)

monza

Yes, I have seen. ;) They had to really rub it in by calling it a 9.8mm, they could have just rounded up to 10mm.

V

Vivek

Every tenth of a mm in that focal range counts.

There are 5.9mm, 5.8 and 5.6mm lenses as well.

These might or might not cover the whole of the M4/3rds.

monza

I'd love to try those out, Vivek, and let you know if they cover the sensor. But I haven't heard anything back from our c-mount supplier. :(

scott kirkpatrick

Scott - I see you are not to be convinced!
Maybe a nice little Olympus version with some primes would convince you, but you'll have to wait until PMA. (at least).
I'm afraid that lens roadmaps need to be take with more than a small pinch of salt!
I'm interested, but we have 3 Ricohs. 2 E-x's, 3 M8's and too many lenses right now, each of them anxious to go out and shoot, and what I have been shooting lately is most often f/1.4 at ISO 640 (800). So waiting to see the Olympus thingy is not a hard decision.

My feeling about the E-3 is that supporting live view cost them a stop in dynamic range, and for some reason which I hesitate to even think about they put a stronger AA filter than I've come to like into the mix. I hope their pendulum swings back to the other side, but since M4/3 is supposed to bring the great unwashed out of their caves, waving dollar bills, this may not happen.

But in the meantime, I can use all sorts of stuff outdoors, but only the Leicas indoors. And it's winter, restaurant season.

scott

jonoslack

They really need to get the 20/1.7 out quickly. But even then, that's just a relatively fast 40mm equivalent. I'd *really* like to have a wide angle prime. The kit lens is good at equiv. 28mm/3.5, but I'd really like something in the 20mm range, even f/4 would be great. I'm generally not a fan of zooms...
Hi there
Well, there will be the 7-14, and also the existing Olympus 9-18, which is small, works very well on the G1 including autofocs, and is excellent quality (although it's f4)

As I understand it, having designed a WA prime, all you have to do is to move a group back and forth, and you have a zoom, without compromising the design at either length. So there isn't likely to be a huge advantage in primes for that focal length range.

I can thoroughly recommend the Olympus 9-18 as a stopgap. It has very little distortion, sharp corners and focuses pretty close.

jonoslack

I'm interested, but we have 3 Ricohs. 2 E-x's, 3 M8's and too many lenses right now, each of them anxious to go out and shoot, and what I have been shooting lately is most often f/1.4 at ISO 640 (800). So waiting to see the Olympus thingy is not a hard decision.

My feeling about the E-3 is that supporting live view cost them a stop in dynamic range, and for some reason which I hesitate to even think about they put a stronger AA filter than I've come to like into the mix. I hope their pendulum swings back to the other side, but since M4/3 is supposed to bring the great unwashed out of their caves, waving dollar bills, this may not happen.

But in the meantime, I can use all sorts of stuff outdoors, but only the Leicas indoors. And it's winter, restaurant season.

scott
I quite understand . . . my only small camera (other than the M8) was the GX100, which gets used occasionally.
My instinct with the G1 is that, like the L10, the AA filter is considerably lighter than the E3 - the dynamic range is at least as good, and the noise about the same.

monza

Hi there
Well, there will be the 7-14, and also the existing Olympus 9-18, which is small, works very well on the G1 including autofocs, and is excellent quality (although it's f4)
The 7-14 will be an f/4 also, correct?

Here is the Oly 9-18:

jonoslack

The 7-14 will be an f/4 also, correct?

Here is the Oly 9-18:

:eek::ROTFL:
You had it already?
you don't want it?

it IS around f4 at 20mm.

the 7-14 will also be an f4 I think.

this 9-18 is good on the G1 though (at least, I think so).