The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

monza

One more thing I'd like to confirm with one of you knowledgeable G-1 shooters. I believe I read elsewhere that any lens with a rear element protruding beyond the G-1>Leica M adapter is unusable. That means no marriage between the Panny G-1 and my cherished 21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon, right?

Nope!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
One more thing I'd like to confirm with one of you knowledgeable G-1 shooters. I believe I read elsewhere that any lens with a rear element protruding beyond the G-1>Leica M adapter is unusable. That means no marriage between the Panny G-1 and my cherished 21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon, right?
Sad, but true. It would have been so sweet if we could have used the SA on the G1.:mad:

back alley

i hope my zeiss 21/4.5 fits in there ok...

this is pretty exciting really, using my zm lenses on this little digital.

joe

The dangerous thing with the G1 when mounting lenses is the shutter. Since it´s normally open, it is easy to overlook. It closes and reopens very quickly at the start and end of each exposure, and is difficult to actually see (there is a slow-motion film of it somewhere; I´ve lost the link).

I´ve done a couple of measurements on mine with a caliper (very carefully), and enclose a rather blurry picture of the lens mount and innards of the camera. The large, flat surface at point A in the pic is situated 6.5 mm below the plane of the lens mount front; I´d say that´s about the safe limit for anything to intrude into the camera.

The frame seen at B is the shutter window; the blades pass *immediately* below it. That frame is 10.5 mm below the lens mount front surface, and anything intruding more than that means certain disaster at first exposure! I would subtract at least 2 or 3 mm as a safety margin.

The sensor surface itself is several mm below the plane of the shutter window, but I´ll be d*mn*d if I will put a caliper point to it...

Finally the customary disclaimer: I´ve done the measurements to the best of my abilities, but I take no responsibility whatsoever for what might happen if you mount anything on your camera: you have to measure yourself!

I post these results only to help those who haven´t yet access to the camera, but want to get some idea of what lenses may be safely mounted.
I hope that Vivek or Jlm,, or somebody else can fill in with the effective height of the converters; I´m still waiting for mine.

jlm

Workshop Member
the distance between the LTM flange and the G1 flange is very close to .400", (10 mm). if your lens element is less than 1.10" (28mm) diameter, it can extend another .200 (5mm). so a lens with a rear element of less than 1.17" can extend .600" beyond its base flange, assuming the lens is measured at inf focus, and assuming that is where the lens extends the most

if the element is larger diameter, it will interfere the spring-loaded electrical contacts in the body, in the case of a larger, no more than another .12", or .52" total.

for example, the CV 15 extends about .56" and is 1.06" in diameter, works fine
the 12mm CV also extends about .56" and is .87" dia (at the interference end) and works fine

The M to G1 adapters hold the lens flange about .040" closer to the G1 flange, so the numbers get reduced by .040"

for example the WATE extends .420" (.99" dia), that is less than .52 and will work fine
the 28 Cron extends .47" (1.14 dia) and that will work

Last edited:
M

marknorton

I'm not sure I understand John's exaplanation exactly, but I rushed home to measure the three other lenses I might like to use on the G1: 21mm Elmarit ASPH, 24mm Elmarit ASPH and 35mm Summilux ASPH - they all have a rear lens diameter of 29mm (1.142") and a maximum extension behind the flange of 13mm (0.51").

John, will these lenses be OK?

Others, like the Noctilux, 75mm's and 90's are fine. The 50mm f2.8 Elmar is obviously a no-no if you try to collapse it. The 90/4 collapsible Elmar will make a lovely 180mm f4 lens and because it does not project beyond the bayonet will be fine. Judging by the pictures on the Leica web-site, the 21/1.4, 24/1.4, 50/0.95 will be fine as well as their rear lenses do not appear to extend beyond the bayonet. Assuming of course the pictures are of real lenses, not mock-ups.

monza

if your lens element is less than 1.10" (28mm) diameter, it can extend another .200 (5mm). so a lens with a rear element of less than 1.17" can extend .600" beyond its base flange
I'm confused: is the 1.10" in the above paragraph supposed to be 1.17"?

back alley

my most precise measurement tool is a craftsman tape measure...so for what it's worth...

it looks like, on the zm 21/4.5, that the distance from the flange to the rear of the lens is 13 mm - and 12 mm for the 25/2.8