The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

monza

Those measurements look ok as long as your Craftsman and your measuring technique are sound. :)

And as long as the diameter of the rear part of the lens is <29.7mm.

M

marknorton

Those measurements look ok as long as your Craftsman and your measuring technique are sound. :)

And as long as the diameter of the rear part of the lens is <29.7mm.
I thought I'd better get out my electronic calipers to measure that rear lens diameter more accurately:

21mm Elmarit ASPH: 29.10mm
24mm Elmarit ASPH: 29.04mm
35mm Summilux ASPH: 29.00 mm

monza

I thought I'd better get out my electronic calipers to measure that rear lens diameter more accurately:

21mm Elmarit ASPH: 29.10mm
24mm Elmarit ASPH: 29.04mm
35mm Summilux ASPH: 29.00 mm
Looks like 1mm or less to spare, in diameter and in flange-to-rear lens distance, but that's enough. :)

V

Vivek

All these discussion about which one hit the shutter is a bit redundant if you look the pics of the adapter posted by Bill.

If a lens fits that adapter, it will fit the camera.;)

monza

Novoflex will have one in February, or, you can use Leica R glass now using two adapters (Leica R --> 4/3 and 4/3 --> µ4/3)

wolverine

Are two adapters like doing an extension tube? I have always thought that the further the lens gets away the closer you focus?

V

Vivek

Are two adapters like doing an extension tube? I have always thought that the further the lens gets away the closer you focus?
Yes, it is. Just like using an extension tube.

However, here, if the lens' infinity focus is preserved in spite (or because) of the adapter, then it would behave like a normal lens. There is no light lost and the focal length of a lens does not change due to smaller or bigger sensors.

The G1 and a Leica M adapter is now a camera that can take Leica M lenses.

The G1 + a Leica M adapter plus a Leica M to LTM adapter makes it a camera that accepts and works with Leica thread mount lenses and so on.

So, this modular approach is even more versatile than Tamron's line of Adaptall design lenses.

M

marknorton

All very interesting. I'm looking forward to a live view through a Noctilux, though presumably, if the adapter restricts the diameter to 29mm, will that cause problems with larger rear elements than that? The Nocti is about 34mm but doesn't project backwards like the wide-angles.

V

Vivek

Some of the shots I posted here were with a Canon 50/0.95.

The rear diameter calculation/confusions left me scratching my head (only briefly).

That lens' (50/0.95) rear element does not protrude outside the lens mount but has a diameter of ~36mm.

monza

Assuming the chart accurately reflects John's post, the Noct would be fine if it extends less than 9mm.

I sold one a few weeks ago, would have been nice to see it on a G1. Although it will be very Dolly Parton-ish, front heavy. :)

M

marknorton

There's no issue about the Noctilux lens projecting too far back. I just wondered what the effect of the 29mm (or so) hole will be when the lens diameter is 34mm (or so).

V

Vivek

It won't cause any problems. As I already said, if a lens fits the adapter, it is ready to be used.

Monza, Dolly Parton?! Are you ancient as well? :ROTFL: