The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 Image Stabilization Modes

E

edslaughter

I've just gotten a G1. The manual is a little terse. In the menus there are three different settings for the image stabilization: Mode 3 is for panning, which I understand. Mode 1 says the stabilizer is on whenever the camera is in REC and Mode 2 turns on the stabilizer only when the shutter button is pressed.

I don't understand why one would need to have the camera in Mode 1. Presumably it uses up the battery faster. And I would think, given the speed at which the stabilizer has to be able to move the lens element, that it can come on very quickly and so shouldn't make a noticeable lag in Mode 2. Certainly I can't tell the difference in responsiveness between the modes.

Can anyone help me understand why one would use Mode 1 (which is the factory default)?

All I can think of is that it has nothing to do with actually making the photograph but rather in keeping the viewfinder image still--which isn't a problem with the 14-45 lens. Perhaps is would be with the telephoto.

All I can think of is that it has nothing to do with actually making the photograph but rather in keeping the viewfinder image still--which isn't a problem with the 14-45 lens. Perhaps is would be with the telephoto.
Well, it IS a problem when fine-tuning focussing manually, with a magnified view of the image center. If you try to keep a model´s eye in view (at 45, i.e. 90 mm effective f.l., times 10x magnification = 900 mm!) while simultaneously holding a half-press on the shutter release and turning the focussing ring, you´ll see the problem rather clearly...

That said, I do use Mode 2 for normal shooting. But there are times when Mode 1 is good to have.

E

edslaughter

Thank you. That makes sense.

I had mostly used the lens on autofocus for outdoors shots while hiking.

Regards,

Ed