The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8

ThePhotoSoup

On a OM-D, at F4 or F5.6 can this lens replace the Oly 45/1.8 and the Oly 75/1.8
I own both the 45 and 75 now and shoot them both at F4 95% of the time.

Or are the Oly primes still sharper?

Steven
I'm a new photographer so take this with a grain of salt. Everything I've read and learned so far has taught me that most of the time a prime will win the sharpness war against a zoom. These new Panny zooms are really really good though. I guess you'll just have to look at the images from this lens and decide for yourself. One thing I do know, that Oly 75mm is in a league of it's own. I've only been able to shoot a couple of pics with the 45mm but it seemed real nice too. I actually have a non-professional comparison of the 35-100mm vs. 75mm with a bunch of comparison images on my blog. The link is in my signature.

biglouis

I'm a new photographer so take this with a grain of salt. Everything I've read and learned so far has taught me that most of the time a prime will win the sharpness war against a zoom. These new Panny zooms are really really good though. I guess you'll just have to look at the images from this lens and decide for yourself. One thing I do know, that Oly 75mm is in a league of it's own. I've only been able to shoot a couple of pics with the 45mm but it seemed real nice too. I actually have a non-professional comparison of the 35-100mm vs. 75mm with a bunch of comparison images on my blog. The link is in my signature.
Although I generally only use primes with my m43rds kit - one thing which may be turning the notion of the superiority of primes over zooms on its head is the in camera correction done in software. I'm beginning to wonder if the future is more to do with processing than glass?

LouisB

ThePhotoSoup

Although I generally only use primes with my m43rds kit - one thing which may be turning the notion of the superiority of primes over zooms on its head is the in camera correction done in software. I'm beginning to wonder if the future is more to do with processing than glass?

LouisB
You may be on to something there. I think right now Panasonic and Olympus are busy trying to produce lenses which can perform as good as or better than the full frame counterparts. The goal is to steel customers from that market right? I think we are going to see amazing lenses coming soon as well as, like you said, innovations in in-camera processing. The OM-D and the GH3 are really what stole me away from that market. I was dead set on Sony's A99 till I learned of the OM-D and GH3. The image quality I was seeing was astonishing. The GH3 just took the cake.

bennettk

I have the Panasonic 12-35, and I'm about ready to get the 35-100. At that point I can shoot some significant portion of my work assignments with the Micro 4/3 system. A quarter? Half? Not sure, but it's going to be a huge help for my poor old aching back. I'm already shooting all my stitched panos with the GH2 and the 12-35 using the smallest (and lightest) Nodal Ninja model. Nice little kit, and the results are excellent.

Braeside

Managed to find a used lens at a very fair price, so jumped at it.

So far I am very impressed with it. It seems to focus fast enough for most things.

This is a crop taken at f2.8 on the OM-D.

A little while later the weather changed:

ceklund

Every year from about Feb 15 to the end of Feb, Horsetail Falls, on the face of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park lights up at the end of day if it is not cloudy in the Central Valley. If the falls are really going it looks like a lava flow. This year, not much water, but a nice light and a good environment for the 35-100. The second picture is Bobcat hunting voles at dusk also in Yosemite.

View attachment 70361

View attachment 70362

monk

Queensland Water-lillies. New flowers recently installed in our meditation-billabong-converted-swimming-pool. Mid-day sun with Lumix 35-100 @ 100mm

Its neighbor.

ThePhotoSoup

If you haven't yet heard of the Brenizer Method, you must YouTube it. Here's my first attempt. Not bad, but I definitely didn't capture the essence of the effect. Shot with the GH3 & 35-100mm @ 100mm f/2.8. This is a before and after to show the difference.

kuau

Workshop Member
I am seeing some really nice images on this thread while using the 35-100/2.8 lens.

Are there any limitations when using this lens on a OM-D as opposed to the GH-3 in terms of functionality, focusing, etc.

Thanks
Steven

ThePhotoSoup

I don't own an OM-D or have every used one, but from my understanding. Any lens made natively for the m4/3 system should work like normal on any m4/3 body. Case in point, I've used Olympus lenses on my GH3 flawlessly. The only thing you're going to want to do is turn the 'in-lens' stabilization off since the OM-D has it's own in body.

toobacat

I'm considering this lens, and Panasonic has it discounted by $300 (in the US at least). I'm just wondering if the folks that own this lens are happy with it and would purchase it again? I have the 12-35 and it's my favorite lens.

Thanks,
Charles