The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 raw file weirdness

fordfanjpn

I have noticed with the G1 raw files that if you try to use highlight recovery, instead of recovered highlights, you get nasty looking, blocky garbage. I have never seen this with Nikon or M8 files, or the DP1 either. But as far as I can tell, at least with my G1, if the highlights are blown, I'm better off leaving that way than trying to recover them. Has anyone else noticed this with their G1?

Bill

V

Vivek

Hi Bill, In Silkypix, with the highlight slider, it is a problem. Use it with caution (i think you mentioned it to me earlier). Also, in Silkypix, set the sharpening to 0 (none). There is other kind of sharpening going on even with the RAW files. You can play around with the contrast settings but set the sharpening part to zero.

Edit: another thing you need to watch out (Silkypix) for is the available memory. If it is stretched, the images literally fall apart into primary colors.

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

Hi Bill, In Silkypix, with the highlight slider, it is a problem. Use it with caution (i think you mentioned it to me earlier). Also, in Silkypix, set the sharpening to 0 (none). There is other kind of sharpening going on even with the RAW files. You can play around with the contrast settings but set the sharpening part to zero.

Edit: another thing you need to watch out (Silkypix) for is the available memory. If it is stretched, the images literally fall apart into primary colors.
Vivek,

Thanks for the info on Silkypix. I have been using the full version of Silkypix for some years and never had this problem, but it does seem that the problem I'm having now with highlight recovery with G1 files is related to the SE version of Silkypix. Even if you save the file as a tiff and open it in Lightroom, the problem seems to follow the file. I tried the same thing in CS4 with the new Camera Raw and the results are much better. So I guess I'll stick with Camera Raw for processing my G1 files from now on. Thanks again.

Bill

fordfanjpn

Now I'm not so sure anymore. I did a quick test with a G1 file and a DP1 file, and the G1 file quickly turned to garbage when I tried to recover highlights, while the DP1 was very resilient. I could apply extreme amounts of highlight recovery to the DP1 file and it still looked good. I'll try to set up some kind of test so that I can have similar files from each camera to experiment with. If I get any useful results I'll post them here.

Bill