The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1/M8

scho

Still waiting for the M to m4/3 adapter so I can make some meaningful comparisons of sensor performance using the same lens on both cameras, but for now here is a scene comparison shot with both the M8 and G1. The M8 shot was taken earlier using the Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon at ISO 160, f/5.6 and the G1 shot was taken more recently with the kit lens at 30mm, ISO 100, f/6.3. The M8 shot was cropped to 4/3 aspect ratio and both images were resized to 2000x1500 pixels.

M8:

G1:

jonoslack

Hi There
I'm not sure about valid comparisons - but that's a great photo!

Seems to me that the G1 isn't so good on the colours :p

They both look very very good.

Well, if you started with the M8, you seem to have used a VERY long exposure :ROTFL:

Seriously, the kit lens seems good indeed, but then I assume you used a tripod. A decent tripod makes any lens at least twice as good...

scho

Actually, I used a tripod for the M8 shot but the G1 was handheld using OIS. It seems as though the AA filter in the G1 is not very aggressive as the sensor seems to be good at resolving very fine detail. Whether or not it is as good as the M8 remains to be seen.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Strange, how the G1 kills off the remaining green plants and makes the shot just that more wintery.
-bob

Actually, I used a tripod for the M8 shot but the G1 was handheld using OIS. It seems as though the AA filter in the G1 is not very aggressive as the sensor seems to be good at resolving very fine detail. Whether or not it is as good as the M8 remains to be seen.
Even more remarkable.... My personal experience with image stabilisation is that it is extremely helpful, but no real match for a sturdy tripod plus mirror lockup.

But, then, by some strange coincidence, both the M8 and the G1 lack mirror lockup modes....:rolleyes:

V

Vivek

The M8 wins hands down when it comes to UV and IR response.

The G1 has no UV or IR response. Bummer.:ROTFL:
Wrong smiley there. Instead of :ROTFL: it should have been :(.

It does work in daylight. IR response (almost none) is about 15~20 stops less (RG780 filter) than a normal CCD with a a feeble IR cut filter on it.

UV response is non existent.:(:(:(