The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

State of mFT today

Brian Mosley

I don't like to project any further than 5 years forward these days - you just don't know what disruptive technology can come along.
Here we go...

From Luminous Landscape...

"Also, as Sigma undoubtedly knows, within the next 18 months one of the major sensor and camera makers is going to release an advanced multi-layer sensor which bypasses the Foveon patents"

Whichever body gets that sensor will get lots of attention. :watch:

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

I would think that would be a Nikon and in APS-C size (sensor).

Brian Mosley

I guess it's the technology we don't know about which will be most disruptive.

Make the most of what you've got, it will be outclassed soon enough :D

Cheers

Brian

dhsimmonds

Sorry Vivek, LL definitely mentions a sensor and camera manufacturer. I thought that Nikon source their sensor's from Sony? That would be my guess but it could also be either Canon or Panasonic. We shall know when it happens but the patent lawyers will get rich first!! :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

I guess it's the technology we don't know about which will be most disruptive.

Make the most of what you've got, it will be outclassed soon enough :D

Cheers

Brian
We have been inundated with "ground breaking", "game changing", "7* (out of a possible 5 :ROTFL:) technologies every other month. So, pretty much this "unknown" technology does not elicit any excitement.

Would it cost the same here as in Japan and the US or would it be $2k more? Nikon can do it. None other can.

So, I hope it is Nikon. :)

iiiNelson

... you guys are talking me back into loving my m43rds system... it is definitely a love/hate thing with me...

:banghead::D:banghead::D
Honestly as far as native mirrorless systems there's Micro 4/3 and nothing else really. Sony has a lot of great bodies/ sensors but really not many great lenses. Fuji has great lenses and a great bodies (even if slightly quirky) but it's just a limited system still. Samsung is mostly non-existent. Canon EOS-M is in it's infancy. Nikon took a half hearted approach with the 1 line so not to cannibalize dSLR sales.

I've personally looked at all the other mirrorless options and pretty much everything leads back to Micro 4/3. Yes you can adapt and that's what I do for my NEX stuff but as far as a complete mirror less system there's Micro 4/3 and nothing else... yet.

I'm probably going to get rid of my Sony Alpha soon as I don't see much advantage anymore. Yes FF is better and I have my M for that but for zooms I want something on the small side so I will probably pick up an OM-D since I still have the G1.

Brian Mosley

We have been inundated with "ground breaking", "game changing", "7* (out of a possible 5 :ROTFL:) technologies every other month. So, pretty much this "unknown" technology does not elicit any excitement.
My point is, we're getting to the pace of change where, if you're prepared to change your system to get the next big feature, there will always be something along shortly.

I had a think about that when I was considering the bleeding edge price of the RX-1 for the novel new technology.

Cheers

Brian

iiiNelson

Hi There
It seems you're using the panasonic bodies exclusively - might I suggest that you beg/borrow/steal/rent and OMD - just for a few days - it might solve your problem?
Agree. I will say up until now I've always preferred the Panasonic bodies by far but the OM-D looks to be a winner... No pun intended.

jonoslack

I've been thinking quite a bit about this as well...
. . . snip . ..
If and when the day comes that there is a larger format system that can match the size and lens system maturity of our current MFT system, then what will be left for MFTs? Size. If some day there can be a Sony NEX full frame camera with a 90mm f/2 lens the size of a current Oly 45/1.8, then there's no reason the Oly lens can't be made even smaller. For me the bottom line is that today's MFTs system meets my image quality and versatility threshold, and the more they can shrink the lenses while continuing to meet that standard, the better.
So nicely put Amin
4/3 sensors are already 'good enough' and the lens system is already in existence.
Job Done!

jonoslack

Honestly as far as native mirrorless systems there's Micro 4/3 and nothing else really. Sony has a lot of great bodies/ sensors but really not many great lenses. Fuji has great lenses and a great bodies (even if slightly quirky) but it's just a limited system still. Samsung is mostly non-existent. Canon EOS-M is in it's infancy. Nikon took a half hearted approach with the 1 line so not to cannibalize dSLR sales.

I've personally looked at all the other mirrorless options and pretty much everything leads back to Micro 4/3. Yes you can adapt and that's what I do for my NEX stuff but as far as a complete mirror less system there's Micro 4/3 and nothing else... yet.

I'm probably going to get rid of my Sony Alpha soon as I don't see much advantage anymore. Yes FF is better and I have my M for that but for zooms I want something on the small side so I will probably pick up an OM-D since I still have the G1.
Hi There
It's what I did (sold the Sony kit) Sadly, because it was really good.
These days I have the Leica stuff (for my FF small DOF penchant) and a couple of OMD bodies and some lenses for the rest.

It makes a grand combination, and it's hard to see how someone is going to supersede it very soon (it's not quick to build up a good lens system). I have to say that, from a system point of view, I feel pretty settled, possibly for the first time since the beginnings of digital.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I have to say that, from a system point of view, I feel pretty settled, possibly for the first time since the beginnings of digital.

Same here, even if we use GH2/GH3 (want video and stills). The only camera that adds to is is the X-Pro1. Here I will test the 18-55mm zoom. But as a system m43 rocks.

iiiNelson

Hi There
It's what I did (sold the Sony kit) Sadly, because it was really good.
These days I have the Leica stuff (for my FF small DOF penchant) and a couple of OMD bodies and some lenses for the rest.

It makes a grand combination, and it's hard to see how someone is going to supersede it very soon (it's not quick to build up a good lens system).
Yeah I really like the results of the Sony kit but I hate the size of the lenses. I've gotten more accustomed to having the M and it takes care of 90% of what I do with a camera now (once I get my MM then I imagine that the 35 Cron will be a body cap for the MM and the 50 Lux for the M9-P.) The OM-D would certainly be sufficient for telephoto from the results I've seen especially with the Panasonic X lenses. That being said the Sony G 70-200/2.8 is an impressive lens in quality and size (for me.) Selling the kit will certainly pay for an OM-D kit and then some as I still have my G1.

ohnri

Yeah I really like the results of the Sony kit but I hate the size of the lenses. I've gotten more accustomed to having the M and it takes care of 90% of what I do with a camera now (once I get my MM then I imagine that the 35 Cron will be a body cap for the MM and the 50 Lux for the M9-P.) The OM-D would certainly be sufficient for telephoto from the results I've seen especially with the Panasonic X lenses. That being said the Sony G 70-200/2.8 is an impressive lens in quality and size (for me.) Selling the kit will certainly pay for an OM-D kit and then some as I still have my G1.
Looks like Panasonic is developing a 150mm f/2.8.

Maybe we are finally getting some very good native m4/3's telephoto lenses.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

ohnri

because you say so, that's a good argument... :toocool:
Okay, I am sorry but you are simply the worst type of pixel peeper. You take a tiny piece of information and expand it into a misleading grand conclusion that is directly at odds with real world results.

This comment "and 7 bit raw files

oh, well... 1 out of 8 sensels is indeed encoded using 11 bit, but 7 out of 8 are 7 bit encoding...

Sony Imaging almost always was able to screw Sony Semi sensors"

is just nonsense and could be misleading to anyone that has not shot with Sony cameras.

Then your later claim that P&S cameras produce robust files?

What is the point of these types of comments?

I am at a loss to understand the reason you would make such posts but I am too busy to spend any time trying.

Best Wishes,

Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

Amin

One of the fascinating sides of m4/3 is that I can take an E-PL5, with the same excellent sensor as the OM-D and a tilting LCD as well, add the 12mm f/2.0, the 20mm f/1.7 and the 45mm f/1.8, all excellent lenses and the whole packaging weighing less than 700g and costing less than $2,500 (Yes, that's less than the RX-1, both figures). Already at this stage, the image quality is good enough for almost any use I can think of, but in a pocketable package...
If I had to pick 1 camera and two lenses for the rest of my life, this would be it:

DSC_2168 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Total weight: 440 grams. Total cost: about $1000.

Last edited:

emr

Regarding the legacy lens support, why hasn't the m43 camp used focus peaking? I suppose it's not a technical reason, but rather about patent cost or something. Has any m43 exec said anything officially?

I'm torn between buying into m43 and NEX and wish there was a format that combined their best aspects.