The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

State of mFT today

biomed

Technology is moving along at such speed that what we buy today is obsolete almost before we get it out of the box. I just purchased a new MFT body and am completely thrilled with it. I am not going to mention the brand or model because it seems that doing so invites many responses telling me that I made a very intelligent choice or that I am a fool.

I have chosen to use MFT cameras because I like them. I have a friend who is a is a technophile. He upgrades his smartphone and tablet everytime a new model comes out. He often waits in line for long periods of time to be one of the first people to own the new model device. Perhaps this is what he enjoys doing. I enjoy my photography with what ever camera I happen to have with me. The MFT system allows me to carry a decent amount of gear with minmal weight. One of my favorite kits is the GF1 with 20mm and 14mm lenses. The MFT system is a very complete and versatile and meets my needs.

There are so many quality options available to photographers today. Find a system that does it for you then go out and photograph! I apologize for this being somewhat off topic.

bennettk

One of my favorite kits is the GF1 with 20mm and 14mm lenses. The MFT system is a very complete and versatile and meets my needs.
Yup, agreed on both counts. Shot for ten days in France with exactly that kit and didn't want anything else.

A new G5 just showed up from Amazon, bought used/LN from Warehouse Deals for <$400US with the kit zoom. This replaces my wife's original G1. The feature set is very similar, but the image quality improvements are significant -- high ISO looks better than my GH2 at first glance. Heck, I think I'm jealous -- I don't need the video features of the GH2, so the little G5 looks pretty good to me.

I do have the occasional twinge about the Fujis or maybe the Sony RX1, but given what we shoot, the MFT system works very well. Being able to choose a very compact and light prime lens kit (adding the 45/1.8 Olympus lens) makes it a no-brainer for carrying a camera pretty much all the time. Using the high quality zooms makes it perfect for travel photography. I'm even using it at work when I don't need or want the big cameras. Overall, it's been a very satisfying system.