The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 VS Oly 520 sort of

jonoslack

Thanks Brian. Then there is yet another adapter that goes from 4/3rds to Leica M, so you combine them to mount M lenses on the micro 4/3rds?
Hi Jack
No - I don't think you can mount an M lens on 4/3 (distance from 'film' plane to rear element is too far because of the mirror).

So this is why it's sooooo interesting, it's the first real opportunity to use M mount lenses on anything other than an R-D1 or an M8.

V

Vivek

Thanks Brian. Then there is yet another adapter that goes from 4/3rds to Leica M, so you combine them to mount M lenses on the micro 4/3rds?

No. That won't work.

Brian is using Konica lenses from the Konica reflex 35mm system and not the lenses from the Hexar or M mount or the LTM.

BTW, the first Konica Autoreflex A body had a half frame/full frame switch that allowed either a half frame or a full frame capture anywhere in the roll. Nice camera. Very loud though.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
...snip

Okay let's be honest i can show up at a gig with the 520 and still look like a Pro but show up with a G1 what do you think folks would think. This does not relate to the hobbyist and i know looks aren't everything but Pro's do have to look Professional with there gear. Not saying the G1 is not but the small size is not normal looking. But that is my issue not yours as a hobbyist
Like Jono said, if you have a MF digital back, I don't think anyone will look twice at your other tool. This is my G1 with the 4/3 adapter and 50 f/2 and the "little" M8 in the background.

antara

I just sold my E510 with 2 kit lenses and the 50 2.0 in order to buy the G1.
I found the 50mm a bit long for my taste for portraits. What would be a legacy "gem of a lens" at around 40mm?
Also can someone list the lenses that will be workable when the adapters arrive?
Thanks,

Antara

Joan

Joan i certainly am getting teased about getting the G1 as our lovely forum members know my serious camera addictions. LOL

But if your sitting on the Oly right now the G1 does buy you some obvious advantages in operation but the files are very close too. Obviously smaller and lighter? did not weigh them. Also the AF , Finder view, Manual focus magnification, Af viewing points, more control and a few other things the G1 has over the Oly would make a good buy just on those improvements and sure I am missing a couple here. Also with adapters you can mount almost anything to it. Than it certainly looks like a smart buy. I wonder though what the micro 4/3rds will be next month or 2 months out from say Oly or someone else. So do you wait? Welli said this to Jack on the phone yesterday for 800 dollars and what it can do for travel and such and if it got stolen dropped or whatever all you lose is 800 dollars worst case it is not a bad thought. I know no one wants to lose 800 dollars but the throw away factor is interesting. Cheap for what you get and it is fun to shoot. For me not sure as a Pro. Okay let's be honest i can show up at a gig with the 520 and still look like a Pro but show up with a G1 what do you think folks would think. This does not relate to the hobbyist and i know looks aren't everything but Pro's do have to look Professional with there gear. Not saying the G1 is not but the small size is not normal looking. But that is my issue not yours as a hobbyist
Guy, thanks for your thoughts on this. I certainly don't have to worry about the "pro" look debate as nobody would EVER mistake me for anything but a snapshooter. :grin: But, I do have a tight budget, so it's more about getting the most for my money.

Thanks again for all the comparison shots. Very helpful!

Diane B

New member here (though I know a few of you from elsewhere) and first post.

I've been following the intro of the G1 with a lot of interest and this thread was terrifically helpful--I've read it from beginning to end. I'm primarily interested in it because of size/weight---I shoot primarily with a 5D but bought a G9 a year ago (dislike shooting with it a lot because of composing with LCD. Bought a Voigtlander 35mm finder and that's fine for 35, but....) and added a used XTi this summer to use as 'small' body prior to the G1 being introduced. Had I known--I would have waited LOL. I usually carry a 28 and 50 for 'small' with the XTi but of course can use any of my Canon mounts with it. I don't have any 'alternative' lenses but I'm open to them since I like to shoot with faster primes and see that that's (so far) the only possibility with it. However, from what I read--the kit lens is very nice with it--and the adaptors open a world of possibilities. Too bad my Canon FD lenses are long gone.

If the economy was different, I would rush out right now and buy one but for now will just watch this forum. I would also like to see the Oly version of this---altho' it won't have the tiltable LCD which is interesting.

Thanks for all the great comparison photos. LL has a little video comparing a Nikon D300 (I think), a Canon XSi and the G1--and that was helpful also.

Diane B

Last edited:

jonoslack

DIANE!!!!
Welcome
Folks - this lady is a really really welcome addition here - she is:

lovely
intelligent
experienced
funny
and a great photographer

just what's ALWAYS required
(sorry about the experienced bit!)
:ROTFL:

Terry

Hi Diane,
Welcome!

When the M adapter comes out, there are TERRIFIC Voigtlander that are very reasonably priced so you can get fast really good primes for the G1. The 35 f2.5 is in the high $200 range. It is a tiny lovely lens.

mazor

G1 shots look very impressive. I think though maybe the cam neds to be set -1/3 EV or something to prevent burnouts of highlights.

From the first images with the Oly against the G1, the G1 shots seems slightly exposed higher but in doing so burns out highlights.

Mazor

Diane B

Hi Diane,
Welcome!

When the M adapter comes out, there are TERRIFIC Voigtlander that are very reasonably priced so you can get fast really good primes for the G1. The 35 f2.5 is in the high $200 range. It is a tiny lovely lens.
Thanks and thanks to others. I'm a totally non-rangerfinder person though I have been tempted ( but more by MF than RF I have to admit). So--I don't 'get' the lenses and am trying to make sense of the names. This is about the best I've found to give me a quick understanding of the names you all sling around so blithely LOL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_M_mount

lI'm excited about the lenses--at first the 35/2 excited me but that's a bit long for me most of the time. But--on second thought--being able to have 70mm in a small light lens is still intriguing --esp. f/2

diane