The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sensor Issue OM-D E-M5

wuffstuff

I have just purchased this camera (new)within the last week and have noticed some marks on the few images I have taken. Below is typical of the marks, which appear on all images (this is at ISO 1600). Although it appears to be a sensor problem it could be dirt. Has this been seen before? Any ideas anyone?

ggibson

Maybe banding? Though usually that is horizontal.

What lens is this? I recall the 20mm having some banding with the E-M5.

Try upgrading the firmware and see if it fixes the issue.

wuffstuff

Thanks for your reply.

This image was taken with the kit zoom, 12-50. These 2 stripes appear even if no lens is fitted and there are only 2 stripes that reach from the top middle to the centre of the image. The camera is using firmware 1.5.

pophoto

This wont answer your question, but I would say exercise your exchange rights! You won't be able to do this when too much time passes and the camera should be in good supply!

wuffstuff

This wont answer your question, but I would say exercise your exchange rights! You won't be able to do this when too much time passes and the camera should be in good supply!
You are of course correct. It is only lethargy that has stopped me so far. Arranged exchange for next week.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Good Luck
Certainly it's not something I've seen before - I guess that all cameras have occasional failures.
all the best

V

Vivek

Good Luck
Certainly it's not something I've seen before - I guess that all cameras have occasional failures.
all the best

Indeed and the new mirrorless ones are exchanged for newer and the faulty units (presumably after a fix) sold as "refurbished" pretty quickly.

wuffstuff

For reference these tramlines, of which there are only two, travel from top to bottom slightly off centre and at a slight angle. They are extremely difficult to spot and only a bit of luck in post made me pick them up. At low ISO and wide open they are not easily visible. Only above f8 and with the grain of high ISO (1600) can they be seen at all.

Thanks for the advice.

jonoslack

Indeed and the new mirrorless ones are exchanged for newer and the faulty units (presumably after a fix) sold as "refurbished" pretty quickly.
Vivek - so cynical, and from one so young :p

Actually, maybe this one just needs a good swab with sensor cleaner - still, if it's new.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, I am neither.

Isn't it a fact that they get taken in and sold back as refurbished?