The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metabones "Speed Booster"

Sorry to be late to arrive at the party!

Am I right in thinking there is no Speedbooster that works with standard Panny or Olly m4/3 lenses?

Tony

greypilgrim

Am I right in thinking there is no Speedbooster that works with standard Panny or Olly m4/3 lenses?

Tony
If you mean standard m43 lenses, then no, that is not how it works. The SpeedBooster relies on the fact that the image circle for full frame and in the case of m43, DX lenses, is much larger than the sensor area. When you use these lenses with a standard adapter, you are essentially cropping optically and throwing away a significant amount of light being gathered by the lens.

Also, standard m43 lenses are already at the register distance necessary to focus on the sensor.

If you are referring to older OM lenses, I am not aware of their plans to produce a SpeedBooster for those lenses or not. You might contact Brian who has been commenting in this thread about their products.

Doug

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Tony
That wouldn't be possible since they are already designed for the small sensor. But how about the Sigma 18-35/1.8? 27-52mm f/1.2 anyone?

greypilgrim

Thought I'd do a "I've been using this for a while" follow up...

The Speed Booster has become a permanent part of my kit. I will often go out with just it attached to the EM5 and a couple of Nikkors rather than my standard kit. For those that liked shooting a camera such as the FM-2, this is the closest that I have come to that experience. And, just as shooting primes can be liberating, so can going all manual focus. It slows you down and allows you to think about focus points, composition, etc..

Anyway, if you have a stable of lenses from another system that you used to really enjoy shooting, I would suggest considering the Speed Booster.

Doug

Here are 4 from yesterday:

28mm f2 in the caves at Pinnacles National Monument

200mm f4 with Canon 500d diopter. An endangered species of frog repopulating the reservoir at Pinnacles.

28mm f2 at the top of the divide between the two sides of the park

200mm f4 with Canon 500d diopter. I'd love to know the species of this plant; it has a very unusual pattern in the seeds that I found appealing.