The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few G1 shots

simonclivehughes

Bill, very nice, the second last one of the the B&W tree is stunning. Some shots look a little soft to me, are these all jpegs? Makes me want to go back to Japan!

I got my G1 last week and the 45-200 lens just today and I'm praying for better weather to get out and shoot with it soon.

Cheers,

fordfanjpn

Bill, very nice, the second last one of the the B&W tree is stunning. Some shots look a little soft to me, are these all jpegs? Makes me want to go back to Japan!

I got my G1 last week and the 45-200 lens just today and I'm praying for better weather to get out and shoot with it soon.

Cheers,
Thanks for the comment. The shots are all from raw, converted to tiff and tweaked in Lightroom. The B&W was converted with Silver Efex Pro in Photoshop.

I'm finding the images to be a little soft from this camera, and I'm not sure if it's the camera itself or my copy of the lens. I sort of suspect the OIS is not working either. I don't any any other lenses to try with it yet, so I'm waiting for the adapter for the M-mount lenses to come out. I'm wondering it if would be worthwhile to get the four-thirds adapter now and invest in some four-thirds lenses. Is anyone else finding their G1 images to be soft?

Bill

scho

Thanks for the comment. The shots are all from raw, converted to tiff and tweaked in Lightroom. The B&W was converted with Silver Efex Pro in Photoshop.

I'm finding the images to be a little soft from this camera, and I'm not sure if it's the camera itself or my copy of the lens. I sort of suspect the OIS is not working either. I don't any any other lenses to try with it yet, so I'm waiting for the adapter for the M-mount lenses to come out. I'm wondering it if would be worthwhile to get the four-thirds adapter now and invest in some four-thirds lenses. Is anyone else finding their G1 images to be soft?

Bill
Hi Bill, I also like to use Lightroom and until we get raw support I have also been just developing the G1 raws in Silkypix w/o sharpening or noise reduction and exporting 16 bit tifs. Once I have the tifs in Lightroom I adjust the exposure, clarity, and vibrance as necessary and then apply default "landscape" preset capture sharpening. Images for the web are exported as jpegs at 50% of original size, with no additional sharpening. These images seem to be quite sharp and exhibit good resolution. There are a few samples from this workflow here:
G1 Samples
I think that the kit lens does a pretty good job, but I'm also waiting for the M adapter to try some small primes.

regards,
Carl

Brian Mosley

Hi Bill, thanks for sharing some of your first shots - the 14-45 I have is actually very good for a kit lens, but I have the feeling that the sensor is not being outresolved by the glass.

In fact, there's a funny thread on dpreview where someone is outraged by the amount of in-camera correction being applied for the kit lens... personally I think it's an appropriate engineering solution.

I ordered my 4/3rds adapter directly from Japan yesterday (after being told by Panasonic UK that they wouldn't be supplying the UK market until December at the earliest) - and it's already been shipped... I can't wait for it to arrive!

My recommendation would be to look at the ZD 9-18 and the ZD 50mm f2 while you're waiting for your M adapter.

I'll be testing both, along with a whole range of 4/3rds and legacy lenses as soon as my adapter arrives - the results will all go into our report diary.

Kind Regards

Brian

fordfanjpn

Hi Bill, I also like to use Lightroom and until we get raw support I have also been just developing the G1 raws in Silkypix w/o sharpening or noise reduction and exporting 16 bit tifs. Once I have the tifs in Lightroom I adjust the exposure, clarity, and vibrance as necessary and then apply default "landscape" preset capture sharpening. Images for the web are exported as jpegs at 50% of original size, with no additional sharpening. These images seem to be quite sharp and exhibit good resolution. There are a few samples from this workflow here:
G1 Samples
I think that the kit lens does a pretty good job, but I'm also waiting for the M adapter to try some small primes.

regards,
Carl
Carl,

It was actually your shot of the door with the padlock that made me think my lens is soft. Even tripod mounted and using the self-timer, my shots are not as sharp as yours. I think I'll go back to the store where I bought it and see if I can get a different lens to try. Thanks for posting your shots. Very nice.

Bill

fordfanjpn

Hi Bill, thanks for sharing some of your first shots - the 14-45 I have is actually very good for a kit lens, but I have the feeling that the sensor is not being outresolved by the glass.

In fact, there's a funny thread on dpreview where someone is outraged by the amount of in-camera correction being applied for the kit lens... personally I think it's an appropriate engineering solution.

I ordered my 4/3rds adapter directly from Japan yesterday (after being told by Panasonic UK that they wouldn't be supplying the UK market until December at the earliest) - and it's already been shipped... I can't wait for it to arrive!

My recommendation would be to look at the ZD 9-18 and the ZD 50mm f2 while you're waiting for your M adapter.

I'll be testing both, along with a whole range of 4/3rds and legacy lenses as soon as my adapter arrives - the results will all go into our report diary.

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian,

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess since I'm in Japan, I should just go and get the adapter and check out those lenses you mentioned. I'm looking forward to your report on the legacy lenses.

Bill

Martin S

I have taken perhaps 100 shots with the G1 and 14-45 mm lens, and the shots do not appear soft. Color rendition appears excellent.

I haven't notice any camera vibration when I turn the camera on, or off that might indicate that the SSF is working. Anyone else notice this??

I also simply convert RAW images in Silkypix, and then export to CS3 for a little tweak, and printing.

I am also waiting for the 45-200 mm lens, and the 4/3 and M adapter.

Martin

fordfanjpn

I haven't notice any camera vibration when I turn the camera on, or off that might indicate that the SSF is working. Anyone else notice this??
I was wondering about that too. I can't find anything mentioned in the manual, and the brochure only mentions the Supersonic Wave Filter briefly. So does it work every time you turn on the camera? There doesn't seem to be any way to turn it on or off, or to force it to shake if you have a dust problem. It's a rather mysterious feature.

Bill

Brian Mosley

No, it does seem to be either incredibly quiet or rarely activated...

The kit lens is also beautifully silent - presumably some kind of silent wave motor in there.

Kind Regards

Brian

Martin S

I'm glad that other G1 users have not heard the SSF function. I was beginning to be concerned about my hearing.

Also, the lens focussing is very quiet. This camera seems to be a good PJ camera when u don't want to be noticed (especially with the fold-out LCD).

Brian, I must start to send u some additional impressions for ur G1 study.

Martin

Brian Mosley

That would be really great Martin - I'll be looking to pull together our initial report in just over a week's time (after my 4/3rds adapter arrives)... I keep getting my Hexanon 57mm f1.2 out, holding it up to the m4/3rds mount and dreaming! sad, I know - but this thing is going to be a DREAM COMBINATION!

Kind Regards

Brian

fordfanjpn

I redid one of the previous shots using PK Sharpener to sharpen the image. I posted a full size image so you can see it large. I haven't tried printing this yet, but I suspect it might print well. The uploaded version was sharpened for the web, so I'd have to resharpen for print. In any case, it does seem that the G1 files take the PK Sharpening fairly well, but they do require sharpening. Now I'll have to go back and look at the other images too.

Bill

http://flickr.com/photos/fordfanjpn/3032625241/

scho

Hi Bill, That looks like a bit too much sharpening. Try doing no sharpening in SilkyPix when exporting the tif file and then only apply the capture sharpen (Landscape) in Lightroom. The parameters for the latter are Amount 40, Radius 0.8, Detail 50, and Masking 0. If you use Clarity=50, that should give a boost to local contrast and then you shouldnt need any output sharpening for the web.
Regards,
Carl

fordfanjpn

Hi Bill, That looks like a bit too much sharpening. Try doing no sharpening in SilkyPix when exporting the tif file and then only apply the capture sharpen (Landscape) in Lightroom. The parameters for the latter are Amount 40, Radius 0.8, Detail 50, and Masking 0. If you use Clarity=50, that should give a boost to local contrast and then you shouldnt need any output sharpening for the web.
Regards,
Carl
Thanks Carl. I'll give that a try.

Bill

jamriman

The weather has been kind of crappy here in Tokyo lately, and work has been rather hectic, but here are a few quick shots with the G1. I'm looking forward to the M-mount adapter which is supposed to be coming out next month, so I can try some of my M glass on this camera.

Bill

http://flickr.com/photos/fordfanjpn/sets/72157608727434301/
Hi Bill,
You sold me on this little guy. especially since I have a ton of M glass. One day I have to take my 5yr old to Tokyo. He really wants to meet Godzilla. Thanks for the pics.

fordfanjpn

Hi Bill,
You sold me on this little guy. especially since I have a ton of M glass. One day I have to take my 5yr old to Tokyo. He really wants to meet Godzilla. Thanks for the pics.
Always glad to help someone spend their money! :rolleyes:

I'll let Godzilla know you'll be stopping by.

Bill