The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

nostatic

Yeah, I tried leaving a little more, but it was too hot. I also tried closer but it didn't feel balanced. I did keep the same aspect ratio...if it is ok to change that it can be a little more creative. But it is what it is. I do agree about the dog's expressions.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Monza, The dynamic range is just too great in this shot for the G1 (or most SLR's) to handle. There is a lot of color noise in the shot where there was underexposure and the chair fabric color is blown-out near the window. My solution was to blend two (one overexposed and one underexposed) together and then convert them to black and white. I also added some vignette.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here it is in color. I think all of the toning down of the highlights made the fabric look off-color. That is why I converted to black and white.

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Bill, I agree with your post, just wondering what is possible to get the best out of this photo. :)
Two minutes with Lightroom; a -4.0 graduated filter to the left hand side, and a +1.0 overall exposure increase gives this;

as Cindy said, the range from hightlights to shadows is too great for the camera, and the PP doesn't reveal real details in the blown hightlights -- because there is no detail there; and I expect the shadows will become noisy with the PP exposure increase.

I don't know what metering modes are available on the G1; it might be more appropriate here to use a spot or centre mode.

Ben Rubinstein

This is a few minutes with the local correction brush in ACR, don't know how I survived without it! I've also warmed it up a bit and added some local clarity to the dogs themselves.

Personally now I would apply the original 4/3 crop back to the image..

Brian Mosley

Took these on the way home this morning, from the school run...

Panasonic G1 + 4/3rds Adapter + ZD 14-35mm f2
1/320s f/8.0 at 24.0mm iso100

1/100s f/11.0 at 29.0mm iso100

1/500s f/6.3 at 14.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

monza

Brian, those are excellent. :) When we have a bit of snow like that around here, the schools close down. :D

Thanks everyone for the assist on these. I too like the antique look...

I've since determined that I accidently had exposure compensation dialed in on the G1, accounting for the underexposure. This is actually too easy to do on the G1; I'll have to pay more attention to the display and histogram.

Since I had the LCD closed, I wasn't aware of it til I brought the photos over to the Mac...

Took these on the way home this morning, from the school run...
Brian, if this is your everyday home environment, I´m VERY envious...:eek:

But then of course, a good photographer can make most places look great.

I´ll have to comfort myself with a nice well-peated malt tonight! :D

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Brian, those are excellent. :) When we have a bit of snow like that around here, the schools close down. :D

Thanks everyone for the assist on these. I too like the antique look...

I've since determined that I accidently had exposure compensation dialed in on the G1, accounting for the underexposure. This is actually too easy to do on the G1; I'll have to pay more attention to the display and histogram.

Since I had the LCD closed, I wasn't aware of it til I brought the photos over to the Mac...
Monza, Watch the histogram. The dynamic range was just too much for the sensor. If you would have increased the exposure, then more of the left would have completely blown out. You would need to frame the shot so that you exclude the very bright highlights. The other solution to a high dynamic range scene is to bracket the exposures and blend the shots with software. That usually requires using a tripod.

I've since determined that I accidently had exposure compensation dialed in on the G1, accounting for the underexposure. This is actually too easy to do on the G1....
Indeed, it happens all the time with the G1! My "pet peeve"....:mad:

It´s that pesky wheel that gets pressed all the time, then turned. In fact, tere is a remedy... but really not: The shifting between EI comp and aperture/shutter/program shift can be moved to the EVF/LCD button out of harm´s way; good idea!

Only, they botched it. When selecting this custom function, the wheel press shift still stays on.....:cussing:

(Brian, you´ve heard me before on this subject on the Olympus group...).

Let´s hope Panasonic will fix it in the next FW update....

Brian Mosley

Per, I got some feedback from Panasonic today... and a request for more ideas - I'll be sending your comments tomorrow + other suggestions from our review team.

I've realized why I don't get the same problem - I hold the grip below the wheel with my middle two fingers, little finger curls around bottom of camera and index finger rests over shutter release button. I drop my index finger down to rotate the wheel.

Cheers

Brian

jklotz

I hope I'm not making anyone jealous, but I was in the Florida Keys for the holidays. Shorts and flip flops! :D Here is a shot with the G1 and kit lens, iso 100, at 14mm. Enjoy

peterb

Brian,

Amazing lens. Amazing shots. Amazing eye! Thanks for sharing.

JKlotz...oh how I wish I were down by your neck of the woods. Thanks for sharing, too (and rubbing it in to us Northerners.) :)

Peter

btrancho

Between the holidays, the weather and family responsibilities it's been tough for me to get out with my new G1 since it arrived last week, but I was able to get out for a few hours in some nice, clear weather the other day.

Kit lens, 14mm, 1/160 sec, f/16, ISO 100 - converted from RAW in Silkypix, post-processed in PS - geese resting along the Hudson River near Schuylerville, New York

Kit lens, 14mm, 1/500 sec, f/11, ISO 100 - converted from RAW in Silkypix, post-processed in PS - abandoned farm near Gansevoort, New York

Kit lens, 14mm, 1/160 sec, f/11, ISO 100 - converted from RAW in Silkypix, post-processed in PS

I'm waiting for delivery of the 45-200 - hopefully tomorrow - but then it's supposed to snow for the next day and a half. Hopefully we'll have a clear weekend.

scho

Very nice shots btrancho and happy to see another "upstater" in the forum.

Regards,
Carl