The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Terry

I was walking around last night down in southern California....never thought about taking fish pictures at night. Used this in my picture a day....just working off my small laptop and it could use some more careful processing but I kind of liked it.

GF1 + 20mm ISO 800 f1.7 1/30

Godfrey

Nice, Terry! I think I'd crop little tighter on this one, all that business at the top of the frame distracts a little, but I like the idea.

Godfrey

Monkey & Sheep

Panasonic L1 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 100 @ f/2 @ 1/200 second

made this little still life while visiting friends in colorado last year. monkey has been their mascot on trips to south africa, europe, the british isles, katmandu, japan, across the us, canada, mexico and throughout south america. a well traveled little guy. his friend sheep stays home, doesn't like to travel.

;-)

enjoy

Terry

Hey Godfrey,
Last night I was working on a crop for it but liked the fish in the bottom right. So, to get out the top I was then working with a pretty odd aspect ratio. So, I just went in as tight as I could preserving the top of the grass on the left and the fish at the bottom. I'd love to see your take on a crop (and you can repost the crop here).

Terry

Brian Mosley

Re: Monkey & Sheep

Panasonic L1 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 100 @ f/2 @ 1/200 second

Delightful! :thumbs:

It would be interesting to read your thoughts on how the Lumix 20mm f1.7 compares with the PL 25mm f1.4... this image is a bit special!

Brian

Godfrey

Re: Monkey & Sheep

Delightful!

It would be interesting to read your thoughts on how the Lumix 20mm f1.7 compares with the PL 25mm f1.4... this image is a bit special!
By and large, the way I describe it is that the Lumix 20/1.7 is 95% of the Summilux 25/1.4 in performance at 40% of the price.

- The 21% difference in FoV due to focal length and concomitant change in DoF associated with that helps produce more blur in backgrounds with the 25 at the same aperture.

- Bokeh from both is very pleasing, at least most of the time. (You can always find some situation where any lens will produce nasty gobblies in blurs.)

- The 25 has less 'specular highlight blooming' when capturing point light sources at night compared to the 20.

- Both lenses benefit nicely from Panasonic's inclusion of lens correction metadata: the 20 gets a solid improvement on geometric and zero chromatic aberration correction, the 25 has little geometric to deal with but again shows zero chromatic aberration when the files are processed with Silkypix or Lightroom/Camera Raw (for the 25, only when used on the G1 body).

Beyond that, and in the premeditated absence of doing specific resolution chart exercises which become so much blah blah blah numbers and specs nonsense in conversation, I'm pleased to say that the 20 performs as like to a slightly wider version of the 25 as I'd hoped, at a much lower price and package size/weight cost. The only negative point to the 20 for me is that I like working with the Summilux' aperture ring on the G1 and L1, and wish the 20mm had an aperture ring too.

Godfrey

Hey Godfrey,
Last night I was working on a crop for it but liked the fish in the bottom right. So, to get out the top I was then working with a pretty odd aspect ratio. So, I just went in as tight as I could preserving the top of the grass on the left and the fish at the bottom. I'd love to see your take on a crop (and you can repost the crop here).
Well, in a search for simplicity, I went further than that

as there was some undesireable bokeh on the top right even cut back to the limits of the main reed plant. I also thought "maybe cloning the bottom right fish a little more to the left" might work and result in a square composition.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Godfrey, the 20mm f1.7 is 33% of the way to my perfect set of lenses for m4/3rds... just a wide angle prime and a short telephoto and I'll be in heaven!

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

the 20mm f1.7 is 33% of the way to my perfect set of lenses for m4/3rds... just a wide angle prime and a short telephoto ...
On that metric, it's 25% for me; I see my need for four lenses total. Wider prime or zoom, short tele and longer tele in addition. I don't use the longer tele or wider lens as frequently as the 20 and short tele, but I do need them.

Brian Mosley

Keith, that's stunning...

On that metric, it's 25% for me; I see my need for four lenses total. Wider prime or zoom, short tele and longer tele in addition. I don't use the longer tele or wider lens as frequently as the 20 and short tele, but I do need them.
Yes, I'm already covered on the long end - the Hexanon 135mm f2.5 is a beauty.

Cheers

Brian

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Now, those spectacles are stunning. When I was in Istanbul, I searched all over for a pair like that.
They seem to serve a double purpose in keeping the hair in place

:thumbs:

Keith

My 2.5 years old grand doughter. I never like the flash photos, but this was nice.

Seyhun

Godfrey

Falling

Panasonic L1 + Olympus ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/15 second

comments always appreciated, thanks for looking!

So, I was doing a magazine shoot yesterday and brought along my usual suite of gear that includes a 5D, Contax 645 and some Polaroid stuff. For kicks I threw in the GF1. I was surprised when it quickly became the goto camera throughout the shoot. The 4:3 aspect is almost perfect for full page verticals in a magazine layout.

This was shot with the Oly 17mm and my only criticism of the system is the flash sync speed - 160. It was fine for this shot but I would like the ability to have more flexibility when selecting my f-stops.

Godfrey

Nice work!

If you use the Olympus FL36R or FL50R flash units, they support "FP" (high speed synch) operation, I believe even in auto and manual exposure modes. That nets much more flexibility for daylight fill work, particularly with the FL50R.

Nice work!

If you use the Olympus FL36R or FL50R flash units, they support "FP" (high speed synch) operation, I believe even in auto and manual exposure modes. That nets much more flexibility for daylight fill work, particularly with the FL50R.
Thank you.

The problem here is that I'm using off camera flash with transmitters. The GF1 body just doesn't let you select anything past 160 once you have that transmitter in your hot shoe.

Good to know about the Olympus Flashes though...

Godfrey

Thank you.

The problem here is that I'm using off camera flash with transmitters. The GF1 body just doesn't let you select anything past 160 once you have that transmitter in your hot shoe.

Good to know about the Olympus Flashes though...
That's true ... Panasonic (and Olympus, for that matter) is certainly not up to the dedicated flash system that Nikon has. I'm doing one-light solutions using the Olympus flash units with a long dedicated cable, otherwise running non-dedicated. ND filters help.