The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

More from another magazine shoot. I'll repeat the sentiment I posted earlier - the GF1 quickly became my goto camera on this shoot. Don't ask me why, my 5D was there and admittedly I did shoot quite a bit of medium format with a Contax 645 but these GF1 images with the 17mm Oly turned out lovely. What a capable little system!

2 more images to follow...

Thanks Terry. I had a really great subject to work with and some fun Austin locales...That first one was in an awesome "Willy Wonka" style candy store.

Godfrey

Olympus E-1 + ZD 50mm f/2 Macro + EC14
ISO 100 @ f/2.8 @ 1/20 second @ 70mm

Have to say, I'm loving this lens. It's so much more the right stuff for my photography than the 50-200 was.

comments always appreciated.

Brian Mosley

Nice capture Godfrey - I find the 50mm + 1.4x TC + 4/3rds to m4/3rds converter stack a bit bulky...

have you tried the Lumix 45-200mm? any thoughts on that option? you'd get stabilisation too...

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Nice capture Godfrey - I find the 50mm + 1.4x TC + 4/3rds to m4/3rds converter stack a bit bulky...

have you tried the Lumix 45-200mm? any thoughts on that option? you'd get stabilisation too...
This photo was made with the E-1, not the G1. I bought the 50 Macro for use with the E-1 and L1 primarily, both with and without the EC14. For the G1, I use the Olympus Pen F G.Zuiko 70mm f/2 for this focal length: it's much lighter and more compact. Photo ...

I have no interest in the 45-200, although I did play with it at the store. It's too slow, and I don't like working with zooms very much. IS buys nothing for candid people work as it allows extended exposure times, but more than 1/20 second and subject motion will ruin the shot. This one was at the 1/20 second limit.

Brian Mosley

That Pen F G.Zuiko 70mm f2 looks great - do all the Pen F lenses cover the whole 4/3rds frame?

In particular, a fast 60mm Pen F lens would be very interesting... I need to hunt down a source of lenses in the UK.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

That Pen F G.Zuiko 70mm f2 looks great - do all the Pen F lenses cover the whole 4/3rds frame?
The Pen F cameras were half-frame 35mm, an 18x24 mm format, so they definitely cover the 13x17.3 mm FourThirds format with room to spare ... !

In particular, a fast 60mm Pen F lens would be very interesting... I need to hunt down a source of lenses in the UK.
Olympus made a 60/1.5 for the Pen F. I have never seen one in person, they're quite rare it seems and go for a pretty penny when they show up nowadays; Pen F lenses have become collectibles. Last one I saw available was at a shop in Los Angeles in December, and they were asking $750 or thereabouts for it.

Some folks have said the 60mm are even better performers than the 70/2 (which is an excellent performer already), but others have said the reverse is true. It's a toss up far as I'm concerned ... I was happy to find the 70/2 in perfect shape at a reasonable, if not inexpensive, price and I'm very satisfied with its performance.

Helena

Thanks Terry and Helena. The 7-14 is a sweet little lens and although I don't use it as often as the other lenses in my kit it great to have it there when needed.

The cone was already there so I decided to include it in this shot, but you are probably right that it is a distraction and could easily have been excluded.

Regards,
Carl
When people comment on one of my photos I always appreciate it when they tell me what would have made them like it better, so I try and do the same for others.

However, being new at the forum I feel that maybe it was wrong to mention the cone. I should have waited with "criticism" until I had seen what the norm is here. Hope you understand what I am trying to say (it's hard to find the right words in English) and that I haven't offended you.

Btw. when you mentioned that you don't use the 7-14 very much I realized that it'd probably be the same for me. I had a 17-40/4 for my 5D and rarely used it, even though it was great optically, so I sold it. If I'm going to buy another lens for the G1 I'll probably start with a macro, but I have decided not to spend any more money on the MFT system until I'm sure that it's for me. Time will tell. :)

scho

When people comment on one of my photos I always appreciate it when they tell me what would have made them like it better, so I try and do the same for others.

However, being new at the forum I feel that maybe it was wrong to mention the cone. I should have waited with "criticism" until I had seen what the norm is here. Hope you understand what I am trying to say (it's hard to find the right words in English) and that I haven't offended you.

Btw. when you mentioned that you don't use the 7-14 very much I realized that it'd probably be the same for me. I had a 17-40/4 for my 5D and rarely used it, even though it was great optically, so I sold it. If I'm going to buy another lens for the G1 I'll probably start with a macro, but I have decided not to spend any more money on the MFT system until I'm sure that it's for me. Time will tell. :)
Helena,

I truly do appreciate your critique of my image and was not in any way offended by your comments. Please do feel free to make suggestions and comments as you see fit.

Best regards,
Carl

Godfrey

Visual Velocity

Olympus E-1 + ZD 50mm f/2 Macro
ISO 100 @ f/4 @ 1/500 second

comments and critique always appreciated, thanks for looking.

D

Devon Shaw

Driving down the center lane.
Never thought I'd get a shot of that bridge I found particularly interesting.

Olympus E-P1 with Canon FD 50mm f/1.4