Site Sponsors
Page 128 of 137 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,400 of 6830

Thread: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

  1. #6351
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Still having fun roaming around with the GX-8 and 12-35
    An excellent combo, Louis !
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #6352
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Montpellier, France
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    110101_greencafebw_1341 by Morris, on Flickr

    one of the first images shot with the 45mm 1.8 as I was picking it up, testing it...and unbelievabley small, light weight lens...

    image processed in Lightroom...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #6353
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Thinking about getting back into m43 again so took the GF1+20/1.7 (all I had left in my kit after selling all of my Oly gear last year) out for a walk along Fall Creek up to Ithaca falls to see how it felt shooting m43 after a long absence.



    Along the way were several signs left by EPA after their last attempt at cleaning up lead contaminated soil in the area.



    The following images were all obtained from 6 shot bursts processed in PhotoAcute 3 for increased resolution.









    I enjoyed the walk and I'm ready to look at another m43 kit - probably the new Pen-F.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #6354
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Lovely stuff, Carl. The 20/1.7 is an extraordinary lens. When I first used mine (also on a GF-1) and compared it to my M8 with a 35/2 pre-asph I was a bit shocked. Not a lot of difference, imho. Well, except for about nine hundred pounds sterling at the time. The GF-1 is also a much underrated camera. I won a national photography competition using mine with a 45/2.8.

    I too am rediscovering m43rds and it has now cost me more than I expected. I tried out the Olympus 7-14/2.8 Pro today, fell for it and bought it.

    My Pana 7-14 never impressed me at the 7mm end (on a GH-2). This Oly lens does. I was distinctly unimpressed by the Sony Zeiss 16-35 on my A7R when I tried it and disappointed that I couldn't therefore have a wide angle zoom for my Sony system. Very bleary, smeary edges.

    The Oly 7-14 is nowhere near either of these two lenses and in fact for all intents and purposes is sharp to the edge at f8. My only other observation is that straight out of the camera (a GX-8) the RAW images are pretty usable. Only minor tweaks needed. If anything the lens draws colour too well and the red and blues are bit exaggerated - nothing that can't be fixed in post.

    7mm and pretty much straight out of the camera. I did have to removed a smidgen of purple fringing but nothing too gross. The red of the bus is to my eye, spot on. Not something I have found with my Sony or even Leica Q.


    14mm but with some relief of shadows


    7mm and with the colour saturation moved down a tad. I also straightened the verticals a tad.
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #6355
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Louis,

    these images from the 2.8 /7-14 look excellent.

    I rediscovered m43 as well again, was almost on the leaving edge, but I am sold again. I might buy this lens in order to complete my 12-40 and 40-150 lineup for my EM1.

    I also tried the PenF at a local promotion event in Vienna - and I was impressed. Key differences (advantages) to the EM1:

    1) camera is nice to hold even without a grip
    2) EVF has same res as in EM1, but is a totally different OLED display (versus LCD or whatever in EM1), which results in complete loss of the green cast of the EM1 EVF, giving perfect colors
    3) color simulation mode dial is superb - I never thought I would fall in love with as I am primarily a RAW shooter, but this is just stunning and fun o use, especially the MONO modes
    4) camera is VERY fast and SILENT !!!!
    5) sensor has the 20MP, which is great, BUT in combination with improved high ISO and DR
    6) the PenF is just a gorgeous camera, sexy if you allow me that comparison!
    7) of course nice to hold with some of the primes (tried it with the 1.8/17 - a lens I love) but also feels well in my hands with the new Pro 4/300 mounted, I was blown away (BTW this lens is another BEAST)

    All this convinced me to keep staying further in the m43 (OLY) land and keep having fun while getting great results!
    Last edited by ptomsu; 8th February 2016 at 01:38.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6356
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Louis,

    these images from the 2.8 /7-14 look excellent.

    I rediscovered m43 as well again, was almost on the leaving edge, but I am sold again. I might buy this lens in order to complete my 12-40 and 40-150 lineup for my EM1.

    I also tried the PenF at a local promotion event in Vienna - and I was impressed. Key differences (advantages) to the EM1:

    1) camera is nice to hold even without a grip
    2) EVF has same res as in EM1, but is a totally different OLED display (versus LCD or whatever in EM1), which results in complete loss of the green cast of the EM1 EVF, giving perfect colors
    3) color simulation mode dial is superb - I never thought I would fall in love with as I am primarily a RAW shooter, but this is just stunning and fun o use, especially the MONO modes
    4) camera is VERY fast and SILENT !!!!
    5) sensor has the 20MP, which is great, BUT in combination with improved high ISO and DR
    6) the PenF is just a gorgeous camera, sexy if you allow me that comparison!
    7) of course nice to hold with some of the primes (tried it with the 1.8/17 - a lens I love) but also feels well in my hands with the new Pro 4/300 mounted, I was blown away (BTW this lens is another BEAST)

    All this convinced me to keep staying further in the m43 (OLY) land and keep haven fun while getting great results!
    Talking of beasts the Oly 7-14 is not a small lens. However, for once I actually feel size is justified and the features of the lens, including the 'push-pull' focus (which operates the magnifying window on my GX8 with no problem) are excellent. I actually think you get what you pay for.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #6357
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    I must say that since I got an A7r, then A7r2, my E-M5s aren't getting a lot of use, with the exception of August where I had to send the A7r to the support services to repair a broken shutter. The rest of the time, I used it mostly to get more reach with the 40-150mm plus 1.4 extender.

    But here are two shots I took from my window as I had just received that lens :

    E-M5 and 40-150mm


    Demolition works - click to enlarge - _20150504_100i
    by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr


    Demolition works - click to enlarge - 20150504_096i
    by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #6358
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    ^^^ That is very sharp indeed ^^^

    That is what I was expecting from the FE 70-200/4 but instead I got mush. Very impressive.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #6359
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Lovely stuff, Carl. The 20/1.7 is an extraordinary lens. When I first used mine (also on a GF-1) and compared it to my M8 with a 35/2 pre-asph I was a bit shocked. Not a lot of difference, imho. Well, except for about nine hundred pounds sterling at the time. The GF-1 is also a much underrated camera. I won a national photography competition using mine with a 45/2.8.

    I too am rediscovering m43rds and it has now cost me more than I expected. I tried out the Olympus 7-14/2.8 Pro today, fell for it and bought it.

    My Pana 7-14 never impressed me at the 7mm end (on a GH-2). This Oly lens does. I was distinctly unimpressed by the Sony Zeiss 16-35 on my A7R when I tried it and disappointed that I couldn't therefore have a wide angle zoom for my Sony system. Very bleary, smeary edges.

    The Oly 7-14 is nowhere near either of these two lenses and in fact for all intents and purposes is sharp to the edge at f8. My only other observation is that straight out of the camera (a GX-8) the RAW images are pretty usable. Only minor tweaks needed. If anything the lens draws colour too well and the red and blues are bit exaggerated - nothing that can't be fixed in post.
    [/IMG]
    Thanks Louis. I know what you mean about the cost of re-discovery and have learned a lesson not to sell off really good glass when switching systems. Bodies can come and go but good lenses should remain on the shelf as it is almost certain that I will some day migrate back and want the same great lenses again.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #6360
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I must say that since I got an A7r, then A7r2, my E-M5s aren't getting a lot of use, with the exception of August where I had to send the A7r to the support services to repair a broken shutter. The rest of the time, I used it mostly to get more reach with the 40-150mm plus 1.4 extender.

    But here are two shots I took from my window as I had just received that lens :

    E-M5 and 40-150mm
    The 40-150 is indeed another beast in sharpness and IQ. Love this lens and weight is really something to forget about considering that we are dealing with an effective 2.8/300. And the TC makes it ideal for wildlife zoom, getting a 4/112-420, with no noticeable degradation in IQ.

    The 4/300 is even better to handle as the max diameter is smaller and it is lighter overall. Plus IQ should even top the 40-150, which I have no doubt at all. I am tempted to get this lens as well.

  11. #6361
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    The 40-150 is indeed another beast in sharpness and IQ. Love this lens and weight is really something to forget about considering that we are dealing with an effective 2.8/300. And the TC makes it ideal for wildlife zoom, getting a 4/112-420, with no noticeable degradation in IQ.

    The 4/300 is even better to handle as the max diameter is smaller and it is lighter overall. Plus IQ should even top the 40-150, which I have no doubt at all. I am tempted to get this lens as well.
    I must admit that I am beginning to wonder if I should sell my 12-35/2.8 and get the 12-40 pro. The sharpness of the 7-14 is a real eye-opener, as are Anna's crops from above of the 40-150.

    LouisB

  12. #6362
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I must admit that I am beginning to wonder if I should sell my 12-35/2.8 and get the 12-40 pro. The sharpness of the 7-14 is a real eye-opener, as are Anna's crops from above of the 40-150.

    LouisB
    The 2.8/12-40 is in the same league WRT sharpness as the other Olympus PRO lenses, maybe sharper than the 12-35/2.8 Panasonic. But keep in mind that the size is also a huge bit larger.

    I never regretted to own and use the 12-40. Remains my workhorse lens on the EM1 and maybe future whatever Olympus m43 camera

  13. #6363
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    A 3 shot focus stack in Helicon Focus. Panasonic GF1 with Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar @ f/5.6. I should have set ISO to 100, but forgot and AUTO ISO used 640.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #6364
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    What an excellent result, Carl !
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #6365
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Scotland
    GF3 +14mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	738.4 KB 
ID:	116395
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #6366
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    This must be the Glenfinnan Viaduct ? Steam train coming from Mallaig heading for Fort William ?
    Bart ...

  17. #6367
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    A 3 shot focus stack in Helicon Focus. Panasonic GF1 with Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar @ f/5.6. I should have set ISO to 100, but forgot and AUTO ISO used 640.

    That is a lovely still life. On the screen the noise appears as fine grain. When you pixel peep it is more visible. I wonder how this would print and at what size the noise would actually be visible?

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  18. #6368
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    That is a lovely still life. On the screen the noise appears as fine grain. When you pixel peep it is more visible. I wonder how this would print and at what size the noise would actually be visible?

    LouisB
    Good point Louis. I just made a 12x16 inch print, without any resampling, and it looks good with no visible noise at normal viewing distance.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #6369
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    A 3 shot focus stack in Helicon Focus. Panasonic GF1 with Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar @ f/5.6. I should have set ISO to 100, but forgot and AUTO ISO used 640.

    Nice product shot. Interesting how much grain is visible at ISO 640. I would have thought that the stacking of images may have helped reduce some of that noise.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  20. #6370
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Nice product shot. Interesting how much grain is visible at ISO 640. I would have thought that the stacking of images may have helped reduce some of that noise.
    Yes, but in fact the fine grain noise is greater in the stack image compared to the originals. I don't know the details of what Helicon Focus is doing under the hood.

    Edit: I tried using the weighted average method instead of focus map and resulting stack image was slightly better in terms of grain.
    Last edited by scho; 8th February 2016 at 19:06.
    Carl
    Gallery

  21. #6371
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    thats true, I have had a few "plays"with my E-M1's new focus bracketing and in camera stacking. Seems pretty impressive. Not sure why Olympus released such amazing updates so long after it was released.

  22. #6372
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I must admit that I am beginning to wonder if I should sell my 12-35/2.8 and get the 12-40 pro. The sharpness of the 7-14 is a real eye-opener, as are Anna's crops from above of the 40-150.

    LouisB
    I got the 12-40mm, after looking carefully at their respective performances. The 12-35mm is slightly lighter which attracted me. But I compared their respective sharpness at DXO and while at the longer end the Panasonic has a sharper center, the 12-40mm offered better uniformity with sharp corners. That is a lens that is good from wide open up to F8 and at all the focal lengths, performances are slightly lower at 40mm, but then the Panasonic doesn't offer it either.

    I own the Panasonic 7-14mm F4 since a long time and so didn't get the Olympus version. There are drawbacks to the Panasonic, especially the fact that it produces big blue/magenta blobs quite easily on Olympus bodies when the sun or a bright light is near of the frame, but in matters of sharpness the reviewers always said that the Panasonic was better. Although as for the 12-35/12-40mm it may depends for what you are looking for : which focal lengths and whether you care more for center sharpness or for frame uniformity. The 7-14mm Panasonic is better at the short end than at the long end from what I remember.

    I was also tempted to add the 35-100mm because it has a very good reputation and would make a lighter alternative to the Olympus 40-150mm, but in the end I preferred to get more reach. Also since I'm shooting less with the E-M5 nowadays, I decided it wasn't worth spending for that.
    Last edited by Annna T; 9th February 2016 at 13:32.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #6373
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    A 3 shot focus stack in Helicon Focus. Panasonic GF1 with Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar @ f/5.6. I should have set ISO to 100, but forgot and AUTO ISO used 640.

    I updated Helicon Focus to latest version and ran the 3 source images through a new workflow, starting with the raw image files and exporting to DNG instead of TIFF. I think noise is much better controlled.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #6374
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    ^^^^ Carl, really nice ^^^^

    I am having a blast with the Oly 7-14. At last, a lens that is actually worth the money I paid for it(!).



    I've also cracked and bought back from ebay a 20/1.7 first version (ridiculously under-priced lens) and the PanaLeica 45/2.8 which was a great favourite of mine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    OT: but do I take it that there are no lens profiles for Olympus in Lightroom current version?

    Seems a bit odd.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #6375
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    ^^^^ Carl, really nice ^^^^

    I am having a blast with the Oly 7-14. At last, a lens that is actually worth the money I paid for it(!).



    I've also cracked and bought back from ebay a 20/1.7 first version (ridiculously under-priced lens) and the PanaLeica 45/2.8 which was a great favourite of mine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    OT: but do I take it that there are no lens profiles for Olympus in Lightroom current version?

    Seems a bit odd.

    LouisB
    Thanks Louis. That 7-14 is looking really good. Are you having early spring this year? I also wondered about the lack of Oly lens profiles in LR.
    Carl
    Gallery

  26. #6376
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Yes, a very early spring. Mind you the temperature has dropped but I seriously doubt we will see hard frost, or even any frost in London this winter.

    LouisB

  27. #6377
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    ^^^^ Carl, really nice ^^^^

    I am having a blast with the Oly 7-14. At last, a lens that is actually worth the money I paid for it(!).

    OT: but do I take it that there are no lens profiles for Olympus in Lightroom current version?

    Seems a bit odd.

    LouisB
    You don't need to add a profile for MFT lenses : they are applied automatically by LR thanks to the info contained in the raw. This means one can't choose not to apply the profile however.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  28. #6378
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Last summer, as I was playing with the new Olympus 40-150mm and testing it on a few paragliders, I suddently heard a highpitched rumbling noise :


    20150626_094i
    by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

    there was someone flying and swirling a model airplane around the paragliders. I'm not sure they appreciated.


    20150626_100i
    by hhh rrr, sur Flickr


    20150626_094i
    by hhh rrr, sur Flickr


    20150626_087i
    by hhh rrr, sur Flickr
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #6379
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    This must be the Glenfinnan Viaduct ? Steam train coming from Mallaig heading for Fort William ?
    yep! took that a little while ago on a family trip. highly recommended for those who can spare the time and don't mind some unburnt coal on the front of the lens LOL

    One more here:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	116435
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #6380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    This must be the Glenfinnan Viaduct ? Steam train coming from Mallaig heading for Fort William ?
    Is it still this train?



    The picture was taken with my long-gone E-1 and the 11-22 lens at 11 mm, in 2004.

    scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 10th February 2016 at 23:54. Reason: can't spell my own name
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #6381
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    A couple more with the Oly 7-14 on a GX8. I can't emphasise enough how sharp this lens is. For a zoom it is unbelievable. I've always accepted that a zoom will give me convenience over image quality. I also like the colours and contrast. Both of these shots have only minor changes in LR.

    This is taken inside an old Jewish cemetery in Whitechapel, London.


    This is in Brady Street, which is right in the heart of Whitechapel.
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #6382
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    I decided to pass on the Pen-F for now and instead picked up another E-M5II (replacement for one I sold last year). Can't get out to shoot yet because of the polar vortex that moved in last night and dropped wind chills into the -20's. Tried a few snaps around the house and through windows with the M5II attached to an old Canon FD 4L in a gimbal mount. Hoping that Olympus will put a new 20MP sensor into an M1 body which is due for a refresh (or is it just going to be perpetual firmware feature updates?).











    and one more of the silver maple above using the 1.4x extender to yield 420mm (840mm 35 equiv.)

    Last edited by scho; 13th February 2016 at 14:29. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #6383
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    I like the 4th and the last two. Did you use the high res mode for some of the shots ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I decided to pass on the Pen-F for now and instead picked up another E-M5II (replacement for one I sold last year). Can't get out to shoot yet because of the polar vortex that moved in last night and dropped wind chills into the -20's. Tried a few snaps around the house and through windows with the M5II attached to an old Canon FD 4L in a gimbal mount. Hoping that Olympus will put a new 20MP sensor into an M1 body which is due for a refresh (or is it just going to be perpetual firmware feature updates?).





    and one more of the silver maple above using the 1.4x extender to yield 420mm (840mm 35 equiv.)


  34. #6384
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I like the 4th and the last two. Did you use the high res mode for some of the shots ?
    Thanks Annna. Yes, 1, 2 & 6 were shot in high res mode.
    Last edited by scho; 14th February 2016 at 06:06. Reason: correction
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #6385
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    I know comparisons are always dangerous but...

    GX8+20/1.7 (first version) wide open - today



    Leica Q 28/1.7 wide open - last weekend
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #6386
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I know comparisons are always dangerous but...

    GX8+20/1.7 (first version) wide open - today



    Leica Q 28/1.7 wide open - last weekend
    To be honest I prefer the GX8 version.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #6387
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Personnally, I prefer the Leica Q version : may be because the composition is more interesting because we are seeing more flowers in a better arrangement : I prefer the horizontal twig. But that is not the only thing. The colors look better too and the transition to the OOF areas. In the GX8 picture, the twig/branch itself is very sharp, but rather distracting. Where in the Leica Q image, they are out of focus and the flowers are brought forward better.

    To sum up : the composition is so different between the two that it is difficult to compare and draw any conclusions concerning those two cameras.

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I know comparisons are always dangerous but...


    Leica Q 28/1.7 wide open - last weekend
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #6388
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    I agree with Anna, the Leica Q image has just a bit more "artistic" feel to it. To be fair though they are both excellent images and the differences are so close it doesn't really matter in the real world. However, when looking at the capital investments involved, the GX8 wins hands down!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #6389
    Senior Member mediumcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I know comparisons are always dangerous but...

    GX8+20/1.7 (first version) wide open - today


    I just sold my 20mm Lumix v1 (and a 30mm Sigma) to help pay for a new 25/1.7 Lumix—unfortunately they are all a tad ‘nervous’ in the bokeh department.


    Leica Q 28/1.7 wide open - last weekend
    The 28mm is definitely smoother (creamier?) in OOF areas, but given the sensor differences, the little µ43 guy does a very good job!

    Best value? Ha!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #6390
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    To be honest I prefer the GX8 version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Personnally, I prefer the Leica Q version : may be because the composition is more interesting because we are seeing more flowers in a better arrangement : I prefer the horizontal twig. But that is not the only thing. The colors look better too and the transition to the OOF areas. In the GX8 picture, the twig/branch itself is very sharp, but rather distracting. Where in the Leica Q image, they are out of focus and the flowers are brought forward better.

    To sum up : the composition is so different between the two that it is difficult to compare and draw any conclusions concerning those two cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I agree with Anna, the Leica Q image has just a bit more "artistic" feel to it. To be fair though they are both excellent images and the differences are so close it doesn't really matter in the real world. However, when looking at the capital investments involved, the GX8 wins hands down!
    Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    ...


    The 28mm is definitely smoother (creamier?) in OOF areas, but given the sensor differences, the little µ43 guy does a very good job!

    Best value? Ha!
    Thanks, all. I'm not about to divest myself of the Q which was a personal reward for a long working life (thanks to the tax free sum on one of my pensions) and a camera which is rewarding to use but I have always admired the 20/1.7 from the time I originally got one bundled with a GF-1 and I was curious to try and compare the results as I was able to (almost) recreate the shot even though it was a week apart.

    The fact that you can buy a 20/1.7 second hand off ebay for around 150 quid is to my mind almost criminal.

    There is no doubt in my mind, though, that the DNA is shared between the Leica Q and GX8. The sensor is obviously a lot different but I am sure Panasonic have tuned it to give a Leica-like look. The fit and finish of the GX8 is very good indeed. And the 20/1.7 is a most obvious rip-off of a Summicron.

    Why on earth Leica do not re badge the GX8, throw in a free copy of LR and/or bundle it with the 15 or 25 'Leica' DG lenses is beyond me. They could even call it the Leica CL. They'd sell tons to the more-money-than-sense brigade.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #6391
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    First chance to really play with the 2.8/45 Macro Elmarit I bough s/h from ebay, on the GX8.

    I was really surprised to see this hover fly inside a crocus collecting pollen. It is the coldest day so far in London this winter.

    iso200 f8 1/250th

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #6392
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Bedraggled. This little Chickadee was soaked from the mixed cold rain and sleet. Shot through kitchen window with E-M5II + 40-150 F/2.8 Pro.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #6393
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    two for my E-M1 with the 12-40/2.8

    Reflections ...


    Crossroads ...


    CU,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #6394
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    two for my E-M1 with the 12-40/2.8

    Reflections ...


    CU,
    Rafael
    What a great shot, Raf ! Wonderful !
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #6395
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    What a great shot, Raf ! Wonderful !
    +1 Beautiful composition.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #6396
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Sweet barter. I gave my neighbor permission to tap our sugar maples in exchange for some syrup. Olympus E-M5II+40-150 Pro.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #6397
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    What a great shot, Raf ! Wonderful !
    +2 Really superb!

  48. #6398
    Member teeraash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    A short walk at a local market just before dawn. GX8 and Nocticron.

    [IMG]_1030562-Edit.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]_1030556.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]_1030545.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #6399
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    Flag in our city park was lowered to half staff today as a tribute to Supreme court justice Scalia. Olympus E-M5II + 12-40.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #6400
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

    First real attempt to use the GX8 for interior shots. This is St Dunstan's Stepney Green, the oldest continuous church in London (AD 952) and commemorated in the nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons - "When will that be, say the bells of Stepney".
    iso640 f8 1/60 7-14/2.8

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •