Site Sponsors
Page 130 of 137 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,500 of 6828

Thread: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

No GH3. I did have the GH2 but never bonded with it, so it ended up with my niece. A friend of mine shoots mostly with the GH3 and 12-35, and sees no reason to upgrade his gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even with MFT cameras, I prefer the size and format of a small DSLR style body. While I love the quality of the GX8 EVF etc, I still prefer the ergonomics of the GH line (I had a GH2 before), so I bought a GH3 recently. They are so inexpensive now. The GH3 EVF is nothing like the current state of the art. Amazing how much the EVFs etc have improved in just 3 years. However, the actual images from a GH3 are still pretty good.

Gary

GH3 and 42.5/1.7 converted to B&W with Topaz
    Last edited by bensonga; 30th March 2016 at 00:08.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Anyone here still shooting with a GH3?

Gary

Not any longer, but it's a camera that I miss. I bought an E-M1 yesterday for under $500 and might buy a GH4 later if I can find a very good deal on one. I can recommend the Zuiko 75mm for the GH3. It was my absolute favourite combo.
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, for shots like this one I would like a better camera.
    Camera improvement areas: PDAF, CDAF Focus Speed, High ISO Performance. Did I say Focus Speed?
    The 300/4 lens performance seems fine, provided new cameras deliver much faster focusing with that lens. Focus accuracy seems superb!

Image displayed at half resolution, cropped at the bottom, focus on the nearer Turkey Vulture.

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=6,400, 1/1,000 s.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even with MFT cameras, I prefer the size and format of a small DSLR style body. While I love the quality of the GX8 EVF etc, I still prefer the ergonomics of the GH line (I had a GH2 before), so I bought a GH3 recently. They are so inexpensive now. The GH3 EVF is nothing like the current state of the art. Amazing how much the EVFs etc have improved in just 3 years. However, the actual images from a GH3 are still pretty good.

Gary

GH3 and 42.5/1.7 converted to B&W with Topaz
    I'm surprised you say that about the EVF. I was amazed with the evf on my GH-2. The first time I used I realised that OVF would eventually be consigned to the dustbin of history. I thought seriously about buying a s/h GH3 before acquiring the GX8 - but to be fair it was a sale opportunity not to be repeated that made me plump for the GX8 instead.

I would like a second body but now I am using the 20mpx sensor I am not sure I can go back to a 16mp one.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have never been very impressed with EVFs (vs OVFs) until recently. If I had been coming directly from the GH-2 to the GH-3, I might be ok GH-3 EVF (although several reviews have noted it's problems). But I've been using the Fuji XT-1, Sony A7 and now Panasonic GX-8 EVFs recently and they are a huge improvement over the GH-3. Apparently, part of the problem with the GH-3 is the magnifier that you actually look thru. I've noticed the distortion and color cast that some people complain about. If I move my eye in the least bit off dead center, the outer edges of the viewfinder become distorted.

This was from DPReview.com review of the GH-3:
    "However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel and the corners are fuzzy unless you look straight at them (a problem that gets even worse if you wear glasses). We also found a distinct color cast to the EVF panel, meaning it gave a different (and apparently less accurate) color rendition to the rear screen. No amount of tweaking the fine tune settings in the menu could get the EVF to render greens the way they appear in the final output."

Unfortunately, I do wear eyeglasses, so I'm surely getting the worst possible experience with this viewfinder.

Other that the EVF issue....I like the camera! :-)

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been very impressed with EVFs (vs OVFs) until recently. If I had been coming directly from the GH-2 to the GH-3, I might be ok GH-3 EVF (although several reviews have noted it's problems). But I've been using the Fuji XT-1, Sony A7 and now Panasonic GX-8 EVFs recently and they are a huge improvement over the GH-3. Apparently, part of the problem with the GH-3 is the magnifier that you actually look thru. I've noticed the distortion and color cast that some people complain about. If I move my eye in the least bit off dead center, the outer edges of the viewfinder become distorted.

This was from DPReview.com review of the GH-3:
    "However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel and the corners are fuzzy unless you look straight at them (a problem that gets even worse if you wear glasses). We also found a distinct color cast to the EVF panel, meaning it gave a different (and apparently less accurate) color rendition to the rear screen. No amount of tweaking the fine tune settings in the menu could get the EVF to render greens the way they appear in the final output."

Unfortunately, I do wear eyeglasses, so I'm surely getting the worst possible experience with this viewfinder.

Other that the EVF issue....I like the camera! :-)

Gary
    That really is interesting. Maybe they got it right with the GH-2 and not with the GH-3? I never noticed any distortion. I am long sighted so I am able to adjust the dioptre to my eyesight and not use glasses.

I am perfectly happy with the EVF on the GX8. I regularly get myself into hot water by contending that in 10 years time people will look back on OVFs the way we do with film. Nice idea but so outdated. :-)

LouisB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi res shot with the E-M5II+Lumix 20/1.7. Click for image that is 50% of original size (64 MP). Sharpening using display output setting of 50% adaptive in NIK Sharpener pro 3 LR plugin.

Last edited by scho; 30th March 2016 at 13:09.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'm surprised you say that about the EVF. I was amazed with the evf on my GH-2. The first time I used I realised that OVF would eventually be consigned to the dustbin of history. I thought seriously about buying a s/h GH3 before acquiring the GX8 - but to be fair it was a sale opportunity not to be repeated that made me plump for the GX8 instead.

I would like a second body but now I am using the 20mpx sensor I am not sure I can go back to a 16mp one.

LouisB
    I've been waiting for an E-M1 upgrade with that 20 MP sensor, but looks like it is going to be the usual long, Olympus wait. I'm spoiled by the Sony camera a month pace.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

That really is interesting. Maybe they got it right with the GH-2 and not with the GH-3? I never noticed any distortion. I am long sighted so I am able to adjust the dioptre to my eyesight and not use glasses.

I am perfectly happy with the EVF on the GX8. I regularly get myself into hot water by contending that in 10 years time people will look back on OVFs the way we do with film. Nice idea but so outdated. :-)

LouisB
    I am fully in the Olympus m43 camp so far, but might get a GX8 just because of the reason to get the 20MP sensor NOW!

I cannot get friend so far with the PenF, a beautiful camera, but I am looking for a practical one to shoot wildlife - and the combo of the GX8 with the 100-400 should just work great for this purpose.

Eventually Olympus will bring the 20MP EM1mark2, but I also fear it will be introduced earliest at Photokina 2016, which means availability not before end of this year Unfortunately Olympus is sleeping again ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carl.
    Very detailed shot. I should use that feature more often.

I wouldn't mind an E-M1.2 soon with 24 MP and better high ISO performance.
    But most important to me would be better focusing speed.
    My cameras are set up to only fire on focus, so Release is set to Off!
    For available light or low contrast situations AF-C simply doesn't work for me.
    So I have been forced to use AF-S, never mind using focus tracking.

My reason for wanting more MP is the ability to crop more heavily.
    The 42 MP of the A7r2 are just marvelous for that.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Carl.

My main reason for more MP is being able to crop as well!

I actually hope that the EM1-2 will also give a huge boost to AFC, even in bad light. I do not care about the HR mode, as I would not like to use this camera from a tripod.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    My main reason for more MP is being able to crop as well!

I actually hope that the EM1-2 will also give a huge boost to AFC, even in bad light. I do not care about the HR mode, as I would not like to use this camera from a tripod.

Now HR mode without a tripod, hmm, that would be interesting, no?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LouisB
    Hi Louis. From what I've read subsequently, it does seem that the GH3 may have been a step backwards from the GH2 re the quality of the EVF. I had a chance to compare my GH3 with a GH4 at the local camera shop today and the GH4 was very noticeably much better.

Camera Ergonomics: Lumix GH3 Review Part 2 Viewfinder Problems ?

I really like the EVF in the GX8.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After the snows of winter (not much this year) and before we see flowers and budding trees of spring, we have a period in Anchorage that locals call "breakup". All the ugliness of the trash which people have discarded over the winter is uncovered. It gives a whole new meaning to the need for "spring cleaning".

Gary

GH3, 20mm f1.7 II lens, converted to B&W with Topaz
    Last edited by bensonga; 30th March 2016 at 23:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Now HR mode without a tripod, hmm, that would be interesting, no?
    Indeed, I would buy that

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are Ravens - not Vultures! The store does very well indeed!

E-M5.2 + LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 @ FL=42.5 mm, F/10, ISO=200, 1/320 s.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Louis. From what I've read subsequently, it does seem that the GH3 may have been a step backwards from the GH2 re the quality of the EVF. I had a chance to compare my GH3 with a GH4 at the local camera shop today and the GH4 was very noticeably much better.

Camera Ergonomics: Lumix GH3 Review Part 2 Viewfinder Problems ?

I really like the EVF in the GX8.

Gary
    I've read the critic about the GH3 viewfinder earlier, but never saw it as a problem with my own camera. Maybe I'm too busy taking photos...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I've read the critic about the GH3 viewfinder earlier, but never saw it as a problem with my own camera. Maybe I'm too busy taking photos...
    I'm already getting used to it and as long as I don't pick up the GX8 again I'll be fine. 😉
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I'm already getting used to it and as long as I don't pick up the GX8 again I'll be fine. 😉
    Gary
    I'm not just saying this but I don't even register any longer that I am using an EVF. So, I agree about the GX8 and to be fair also the A7R/S and Leica Q. The ability to see the impact of +-EV is a major win in EVFs, imho.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had to do a brick wall shot, just to check if the lens was as sharp as I remembered it. It is.

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 17mm and f/5.6

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still think Leica are bonkers for their public stance on m43rds.

Why they don't take the GX8, give it some subtle Leica styling - maybe with a silver version of the 15/1.7, throw in Lightroom and sell it for double the price is beyond me.

They are leaving some serious money on the table, imho.

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

I still think Leica are bonkers for their public stance on m43rds.

Why they don't take the GX8, give it some subtle Leica styling - maybe with a silver version of the 15/1.7, throw in Lightroom and sell it for double the price is beyond me.

They are leaving some serious money on the table, imho.

LouisB
    I am fully with you!

I even go as far saying that they would have done great if they stayed in the m43 camp (with whatever Panasonic camera, now of course the GX8) instead of inventing the T System. Which is really nonsense given the fact they do have now FF (M series and SL) as well as MF (S system). A great m43 system would have been the right complement.

They seem to be stupid ... at least IMHO

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had to do a brick wall shot, just to check if the lens was as sharp as I remembered it. It is.

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 17mm and f/5.6
    I was not familiar with that lens Jorgen. I know of the 14-42 and 14-45, but not a PL 14-50/2.8-3.5. Then is discovered it was a 4/3rds lens, not m43. I often forget that the earlier 4/3rds format existed.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was not familiar with that lens Jorgen. I know of the 14-42 and 14-45, but not a PL 14-50/2.8-3.5. Then is discovered it was a 4/3rds lens, not m43. I often forget that the earlier 4/3rds format existed.

Gary
    It did indeed exist, and some of the lenses are among the best ever made, particularly among zoom lenses. The one above is one of them, sharp from corner to corner at any focal length and any aperture. The Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 is another, and the 150mm f/2, not to mention the 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0. Then there's the amazing 50mm f/2 macro, which seems to defy diffraction, being sharp to f/16 and beyond.

Most of them were rather large considering the small format, mostly because them were designed to be telecentric or near telecentric, which is the main reason for the very even sharpness across the frame. They obviously do fine with no corrections in software, as opposed to the m4/3 lenses that are all (except the Zuiko 75mm and probably the new 300mm) designed to be corrected for distortion in camera or during post processing. In my mind, there's no doubt which alternative gives the best quality results.

I wouldn't mind a 20MP E-6 to use these lenses on

Post Thanks / Like

It did indeed exist, and some of the lenses are among the best ever made, particularly among zoom lenses. The one above is one of them, sharp from corner to corner at any focal length and any aperture. The Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 is another, and the 150mm f/2, not to mention the 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0. Then there's the amazing 50mm f/2 macro, which seems to defy diffraction, being sharp to f/16 and beyond.

Most of them were rather large considering the small format, mostly because them were designed to be telecentric or near telecentric, which is the main reason for the very even sharpness across the frame. They obviously do fine with no corrections in software, as opposed to the m4/3 lenses that are all (except the Zuiko 75mm and probably the new 300mm) designed to be corrected for distortion in camera or during post processing. In my mind, there's no doubt which alternative gives the best quality results.

I wouldn't mind a 20MP E-6 to use these lenses on
    I saw one in the Aperture shop in Rathbone Place the other day and for a few minutes I was puzzled. "What is this?", I thought. Then I remembered that before micro four-thirds, there was of course four-thirds.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I saw one in the Aperture shop in Rathbone Place the other day and for a few minutes I was puzzled. "What is this?", I thought. Then I remembered that before micro four-thirds, there was of course four-thirds.

LouisB
    The E-5 is still a current product, and it's less than 6 years since it was launched:

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod.../e5/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

The E-5 is still a current product, and it's less than 6 years since it was launched:

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod.../e5/index.html
    I bought my E5 back in 2010, this was 6 years ago. Had almost the first one in Austria

It was a great camera, especially with the 2/12-35, 2/35-100 (I absolutely loved this one) as well as the 12-60.

Finally it had to go as the size/weight difference to FF Nikon with the lenses I had was only minor and the D700 I bought instead was just dancing circles around the IQ of the E5. Mind you that both the E5 and D700 had 12MP.

At this time it became soon evident that Olympus and Panasonic would go the m43 way and this would mean a complete replacement of 43 lenses.

What I still do not understand that Olympus is not bringing some of their Pro 43 lenses like the 2/150 or the 2.8/90-250 - I would buy the m43 incarnations of these lenses in a heartbeat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-M1 with 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5.6

And my 3 year old daughter insisted that I add this:

The 7 year old demanded democracy and insisted on this one:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carl.

I'd like any E-M1 mark II, whether it has 16, 20 or 24 MP, as long as it improves on the noise.
    Really, I found the E-M1's output a step backwards compared to the original E-M5.
    DXO's Lens Metric Scores seem to confirm this as the same lens always scores higher on the E-M5 ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I'd like any E-M1 mark II, whether it has 16, 20 or 24 MP, as long as it improves on the noise.
    Really, I found the E-M1's output a step backwards compared to the original E-M5.
    DXO's Lens Metric Scores seem to confirm this as the same lens always scores higher on the E-M5 ...

I think it is due to the hybrid AF and the sense points added for phase detect on the sensor, or the current needed to read these points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-M1 with 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5.6

And my 3 year old daughter insisted that I add this:

The 7 year old demanded democracy and insisted on this one:
    Glad to see you back here. I was missing your pictures.

One more for each of your daughters :
    AnnaT or rrr_hhh at Flickr
    My facebook page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart ...
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another 'spring has sprung' shot. GX8+DG 2.8/45 Macro.

-----
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PEN-F + M.Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Leica M240, Sony RX1R, Fuji X-Pro2, Sony RX100 IV, Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 15mm 4.5 III, Zeiss Biogon 28mm 2.8, Voigtländer Ultron Asph. 35mm 1.7, Leica Summilux-M 50mm 1.4 Asph., Leica Summarit-M 90mm 2.5, Fuji XF 35mm 2.0 WR, Fuji XF 18-55mm 2.8-4.0

Post Thanks / Like

PEN-F + M.Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8
    Leica M240, Sony RX1R, Fuji X-Pro2, Sony RX100 IV, Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 15mm 4.5 III, Zeiss Biogon 28mm 2.8, Voigtländer Ultron Asph. 35mm 1.7, Leica Summilux-M 50mm 1.4 Asph., Leica Summarit-M 90mm 2.5, Fuji XF 35mm 2.0 WR, Fuji XF 18-55mm 2.8-4.0

Post Thanks / Like

Gary
    I have a Zuiko 14–54 f/2.8–3.5 (4/3 mount) which I have adapted to μ4/3—excellent at all apertures and focal lengths. Focuses well-enough on the Olympus E-M5; not so well on the Lumix G3.

Post Thanks / Like

PEN-F + M.Zuiko 12-40mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some people take photos of their cats with a new camera or lens. I don't have a cat, but I do frequent my favorite coffee shop on a regular basis.

The original 20/1.7 lens used on my G1 and GH-2 was always one of my favorite lenses. I'm glad to see that version II is just as good.

Gary

GH-3, 20/1.7 II lens, ISO 200, 1/25th at f1.7

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 'hipster' thing: Hanbury Street, Spitalfields.

GX8+Oly Pro 7-14/2.8

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what they say: an apple a day ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why the model seems to turn her face to Nikon and Canon with huge zoom lenses
    GX8 & Noc1.2 at 1.2

[IMG]P1020056.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Again GX8 and Noc1.2 wo.

[IMG]_1030989.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pale colours in Norway these days.

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more shots from my trip to France in 2012. Staircases in the Palace of Versailles. I printed the first of these for a May B&W print exchange on Ilford Gold Mono Silk. There is talk in the group of doing a "staircases" theme print exchange in the future, so I'll have to search thru my photos from France and Holland for a few more candidates. There are not many interesting staircases in the buildings here in Anchorage.

Gary

GH-2 with the 12-35mm f2.8 lens at 12mm

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    Again GX8 and Noc1.2 wo.

[IMG]_1030989.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]
    That is a very good looking beagle teeraash!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 14m and f/5.6

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like