No, it's a double post ...
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    No, it's a double post ...
    Slow internet last night is my excuse!
    [in breaking news, Australia has dropped from 30th fastest to 60th fastest broadband (hah) in the three years of our current dunderhead conservative federal government]
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    Stop it. Its making us all hungry.
    Going back today to have a $9 rice-noodle soup with prawns, squid, pork and chicken! Will document the delicious result!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Slow internet last night is my excuse!
    [in breaking news, Australia has dropped from 30th fastest to 60th fastest broadband (hah) in the three years of our current dunderhead conservative federal government]
    Ian, I'm sorry for both 'misfortunes', but at least you're having a geat time with your new lens.
    Btw the post now shows some greenery ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

getting lazy - sooc ...

Bart ...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

getting lazy - sooc ...

Never JPEGs for me! Except as output—at last C1 can now output to final dimensions—I used to use Pixelmator to resize precisely; now I output TIFFs from C1 at 896 px vertically, then increase the canvas size to 900 (my standard online size for MLKSHK) and add a 2-pixel black keyline, in Pm.

On another note, I will sort-of catch up with you in the tele department (halfway at least) as I have just won a Zuiko 50–200 on eBay! Lots of manual focus to come on the E-M5!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Never JPEGs for me! Except as output—at last C1 can now output to final dimensions—I used to use Pixelmator to resize precisely; now I output TIFFs from C1 at 896 px vertically, then increase the canvas size to 900 (my standard online size for MLKSHK) and add a 2-pixel black keyline, in Pm.

On another note, I will sort-of catch up with you in the tele department (halfway at least) as I have just won a Zuiko 50–200 on eBay! Lots of manual focus to come on the E-M5!
    Well, actually I do like the sooc JPEG's quite a lot. Of course given all parameters (sharpness, contrast, exposure, white balance, framing, distortion, etc) are more or less correct.
    And for sooc B/W I find it hard to beat ...

Anyway, congrats with the 50-200, looking forward what it can do in your hands.
    But why 'lots of manual focus', Ian ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ow - now I see, the E-M5 - well, perhaps it's time to upgrade to an E-M1 ?
    They're cheap as dirt nowadays !

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

… congrats with the 50-200, looking forward what it can do in your hands.
    But why 'lots of manual focus', Ian?
    Because it’s a 4/3 lens.

- - - Updated - - -

All the best.
    Not in Australia!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the best.
    They are very cheap, and I might buy a second E-M1 body. I'm not going to pay $2,000 for an E-M1 II or a GH5 anyway, at least not this year, and since I invest so much energy in trying to understand the Olympus menus, I might as well stay with this camera for a while. Maybe I'll have to change to C1 for processing of the RAW files though. C1 is still better than ACR for m4/3 files.
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    They are very cheap, and I might buy a second E-M1 body. I'm not going to pay $2,000 for an E-M1 II or a GH5 anyway, at least not this year, and since I invest so much energy in trying to understand the Olympus menus, I might as well stay with this camera for a while. Maybe I'll have to change to C1 for processing of the RAW files though. C1 is still better than ACR for m4/3 files.
    E-M1s remain expensive in Australia, new or used (on my pension budget, at least). Agree with C1 superiority—I have always found ACR/Ps/Lr to be worthy enough, but very dull in their output.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-M1s remain expensive in Australia, new or used (on my pension budget, at least). Agree with C1 superiority—I have always found ACR/Ps/Lr to be worthy enough, but very dull in their output.
    Prices in Thailand seem to hover around THB 20,000 (AUD 750) now, and will certainly not go up with the prospect of an E-M1 II being released soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Prices in Thailand seem to hover around THB 20,000 (AUD 750) now, and will certainly not go up with the prospect of an E-M1 II being released soon.
    New or used? Used E-M1s in Australia are around $750–800, with outliers in the stratosphere! I bought my E-M5 in January 2015, just before the II came out—a local store was happy to offer me the E-M5 kit for $499 (I had seen them offered online for $499)—I sold the kit lens for $130, making for a pleasing net cost of $369 for the body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

oink oink ...

Bart ...
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New or used? Used E-M1s in Australia are around $750–800, with outliers in the stratosphere! I bought my E-M5 in January 2015, just before the II came out—a local store was happy to offer me the E-M5 kit for $499 (I had seen them offered online for $499)—I sold the kit lens for $130, making for a pleasing net cost of $369 for the body.
    That price is used, but I'm probably getting one for that price with just 2,000 clicks which looks and feels like new. New, they are still THB 44,500 or about AUD 1,700, so prices seem to be similar to Australia then. There would have to be something really special for me to buy a new mirrorless body. Most of them can be had for very low prices after just a couple of years and many of them see very little use before they are sold. Better to let others take that loss. Features that were "sensational" a couple of years ago are more than good enough for me, and I don't want to feed the constant "last year's model isn't good enough" craze.

I used an OM-1 for 30 years without seeing a proper reason to upgrade. In reality, nothing has changed. The viewfinder is still in the same place, as is the shutter release
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All shot with the E-M1/40-150 Pro

Neil
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

tweet tweet ...

Bart ...
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

tweet!

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hard to believe that I have spent the last 28 years of my working life in this building. Mostly 6 days a week. I've been very, very fortunate and I never forget it.

Following the steep plunge in oil prices that began in June 2014, about ~600 people have been laid off here in the past 18 months. It is the biggest lay off of staff since 1999 when oil prices had fallen to about $10/bbl. I'm not sure we've seen the bottom of it yet. Many talented and hard working people are gone. Some good friends.

A few years ago, it was hard to find a spot in the parking lot if you had to leave the office during the lunch hour to run an errand. That's not a problem anymore.

Anyone want to buy an office building? This one is for sale.

Gary

GH3, 20/1.7 lens, B&W conversion with SilverEfex Pro2
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Hard to believe that I have spent the last 28 years of my working life in this building. Mostly 6 days a week. I've been very, very fortunate and I never forget it.

Following the steep plunge in oil prices that began in June 2014, about ~600 people have been laid off here in the past 18 months. It is the biggest lay off of staff since 1999 when oil prices had fallen to about $10/bbl. I'm not sure we've seen the bottom of it yet. Many talented and hard working people are gone. Some good friends.

A few years ago, it was hard to find a spot in the parking lot if you had to leave the office during the lunch hour to run an errand. That's not a problem anymore.

Anyone want to buy an office building? This one is for sale.

Gary

GH3, 20/1.7 lens, B&W conversion with SilverEfex Pro2
    That is a sad story, Gary but reflects the turmoil across the world. I too was shaken out from a profession I liked during a downturn in 2000 but in the end I retrained (as a teacher) and I have had a wonderful second profession. Good luck for the future.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    That is a sad story, Gary but reflects the turmoil across the world. I too was shaken out from a profession I liked during a downturn in 2000 but in the end I retrained (as a teacher) and I have had a wonderful second profession. Good luck for the future.

LouisB
    I survived the cuts and am still here, but I have seen many co-workers and friends leave. Some were close to retirement and happy to get the generous severance package, others still had children to raise and college educations to pay for. I have about 3 years to go before I retire, so unless the global economy falls off a cliff or oil prices collapse (certainly a possibility) I will probably make it. The job I have been doing for the past 18 years is so specialized, there are only 2 of us here that do it. At my age, retraining for another career is probably not in the cards. I would just retire and spend more time taking photos, although I will miss this view of Denali and Foraker from my office.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gary. Great images. And good luck to you.
    May I ask for a one or two sentence description of your job?
    You tickled my curiosity. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Gary. Great images. And good luck to you.
    May I ask for a one or two sentence description of your job?
    You tickled my curiosity. TIA.
    Like everyone's job I'm sure, it is hard to describe in a couple of sentences. I've been at BP for 28 years and during all those years I have worked on one "Super Giant" oil field, Prudhoe Bay on the North Slope of Alaska. It is the largest oil field in North America and twice as large as the next biggest field in east Texas. There are six huge oil processing facilities on the Slope at Prudhoe and the world's largest gas plant. My first 10 years were spent on commercial work, primarily disputes between the State of Alaska which owns the leases and the oil companies and an early attempt to commercialize the Prudhoe gas resource with an LNG project.

For the past 18 years I've been doing the production accounting for Prudhoe. So I keep track of all the oil, water and gas production and injection from about 1,500 wells, 6 processing facilities and 2 gas plants and then prepare all the monthly reports for the regulatory agencies and the oil companies, so everyone can book their revenue and pay the royalty and taxes due on the production. To do that, I'm regularly in touch with the plant operators on the Slope, the automation engineers, the petroleum, drilling and reservoir engineers and commercial groups, plus the co-owners and the Alaska regulatory agencies. It's been a fascinating job and one I have never tired of doing. For a guy who left college with a BA degree in philosophy 40 years ago and virtually no job prospects, my working life has gone in a direction I never would have expected.

When I told my wife 18 years ago that my job had changed and I was now going to be the Prudhoe "volume accountant", she was doubtful that I could do it. When I asked her why, she gave me two reasons: 1) I'm not a "real accountant" (she is) and 2) I'm "terrible at volumes". I asked what she meant about point 2. According to her, I could never pick the right size container to put any leftover food in. I was apparently always picking a container that was either too small or too large. After a few days on the new job, I was able to reassure her that this would not be a problem....I didn't have to fill the barrels of oil, just count them on a computer screen. I've been happily doing it ever since. :-)

Gary

http://petrowiki.org/Prudhoe_Bay_field
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gary. Fascinating, simply fascinating! That seems to be a really important operational job with responsibilities at so many different levels. Thanks again.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Gary. Fascinating, simply fascinating! That seems to be a really important operational job with responsibilities at so many different levels. Thanks again.
    Working with people in so many different parts of the business (operations, measurement, reservoir management, drilling, finance, commercial, legal etc) both within BP (who is the operator of Prudhoe), at the other oil companies who own a share of Prudhoe and with the State regulatory agencies has made this job more interesting and challenging that I ever expected it would be. Even so, I'm looking forward to the day when I have more time to get out and take photos. :-)

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Like everyone's job I'm sure, it is hard to describe in a couple of sentences. I've been at BP for 28 years and during all those years I have worked on one "Super Giant" oil field, Prudhoe Bay on the North Slope of Alaska. It is the largest oil field in North America and twice as large as the next biggest field in east Texas. There are six huge oil processing facilities on the Slope at Prudhoe and the world's largest gas plant. My first 10 years were spent on commercial work, primarily disputes between the State of Alaska which owns the leases and the oil companies and an early attempt to commercialize the Prudhoe gas resource with an LNG project.

For the past 18 years I've been doing the production accounting for Prudhoe. So I keep track of all the oil, water and gas production and injection from about 1,500 wells, 6 processing facilities and 2 gas plants and then prepare all the monthly reports for the regulatory agencies and the oil companies, so everyone can book their revenue and pay the royalty and taxes due on the production. To do that, I'm regularly in touch with the plant operators on the Slope, the automation engineers, the petroleum, drilling and reservoir engineers and commercial groups, plus the co-owners and the Alaska regulatory agencies. It's been a fascinating job and one I have never tired of doing. For a guy who left college with a BA degree in philosophy 40 years ago and virtually no job prospects, my working life has gone in a direction I never would have expected.

When I told my wife 18 years ago that my job had changed and I was now going to be the Prudhoe "volume accountant", she was doubtful that I could do it. When I asked her why, she gave me two reasons: 1) I'm not a "real accountant" (she is) and 2) I'm "terrible at volumes". I asked what she meant about point 2. According to her, I could never pick the right size container to put any leftover food in. I was apparently always picking a container that was either too small or too large. After a few days on the new job, I was able to reassure her that this would not be a problem....I didn't have to fill the barrels of oil, just count them on a computer screen. I've been happily doing it ever since. :-)

Gary

http://petrowiki.org/Prudhoe_Bay_field
    Interesting job Gary and I am glad you could survive the latest round of layoffs. I hope you can overcome the next few years till retirement and then take more time for photography.

I am myself at the retiring doorstep, having worked for the last 32 years in the Internet business, 20 years of that with Cisco, where we also had these many ups and downs as everyone gets aware of when the next layoff round is coming. But after all that time one gets used to it, as sad as it is.

Hope to see lot of exciting work from you here on the forum!

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

berryssimo ...

Bart ...
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Digging up ancient cameras from dusty places. Sorry for the lack cool, interesting subject matter, but work and family is all I do for the time being, and you don't want to see my office

GH1 with Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 @ 75mm and f/4

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A young Jersey bull trying to be a 'tough guy'...

E-M1 40-150p
    Last edited by neilvan; 3rd July 2016 at 20:17.
    Neil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cottontail rabbit enjoying an evening snack of clover. E-M5II + 40-150/2.8

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Great Tit, GX8+Lumix Leica DG 100-400

-----
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be alone on this thread...

GX8+Oly7-14/2.8 Pro

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I seem to be alone on this thread...
    Sorry Louis, I've got only silly things to show for: like this ...

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Or even this ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm om this road as well, but have a hard time getting images from the camera on my computer. Not a technical problem, but a motivational.

OOC JPEG
    Last edited by marlof; 16th July 2016 at 00:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Either a juvenile or female Great Tit - in the background another one is on my fat ball feeder flexing its wings. GX8+PanaLeica 100-400.

-----
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The vertical grip for the E-M1 arrived today. Suddenly it's a totally different camera. Much better!

E-M1 with Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 @ 90mm and f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

A cold beer

Olympus E-M5 12–32 OOC JPEG (resized to 900px high)

Post Thanks / Like

A warmer beer

Olympus E-M5 Lumix 12–32 at 12mm 1/50 f/4.5 ISO 400
    ORF file processed in Capture One

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, I can imagine many prefer a COLD beer on a warm summer's day, but this time I guess it's the WARMER beer that's more appealing ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The vertical grip for the E-M1 arrived today. Suddenly it's a totally different camera. Much better!
    Pffff - of course it's much better, Jørgen. Much more like your behemoth now ...
    But seriously, the grip is a necessity and makes all the difference.
    Still, when using my 'tiny' 15/1.7, I can easily do without.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Pen-F and 20 1.7 II; lovely combo

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, the grip is a necessity and makes all the difference.

Funny, I have grips for all my cameras, but don't use them since they negate the small size that made me love m43.
    To me, the EM1 handles fine as it is, even with the 40-150 PRO. The EM5 ditto. The Pen-F needs a grip with larger lenses, but even with grip I don't like that body with larger lenses. It's made for small lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Jump!

Not Abbey Road

Post Thanks / Like

Now, I can imagine many prefer a COLD beer on a warm summer's day, but this time I guess it's the WARMER beer that's more appealing ...
    Maybe taming the highlights a bit might make the COLD beer slightly more appealing as well

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Maybe taming the highlights a bit might make the COLD beer slightly more appealing as well
    My point was that “taming the highlights” in a JPEG inevitably leads to tears before bedtime. I imported the JPEG into the same Session and copied/pasted adjusted parameters from the Raw conversion, with the result seen below. Certain adjustments such as layer data were not transferred, but I did ensure that the CT was the same 9931°K, and exposure reduced 0.5 stop as was done in the “David” layer. This exercise convinced my friend David (yes, the very same!) to download the free C1 for Sony to use with his RX100.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Frivolous eBAY purchase

Olympus E-M5 w/14–54 Zuiko at 35mm 1/80 f/5.6 ISO 800 (handheld)

Post Thanks / Like

Frivolous eBAY purchase

Olympus E-M5 w/14–54 Zuiko at 35mm 1/80 f/5.6 ISO 800 (handheld)

Throw the metal thing on top away, fill the red bag with rice, tie it closed and use that as a camera support.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My point was that “taming the highlights” in a JPEG inevitably leads to tears before bedtime. I imported the JPEG into the same Session and copied/pasted adjusted parameters from the Raw conversion, with the result seen below. Certain adjustments such as layer data were not transferred, but I did ensure that the CT was the same 9931°K, and exposure reduced 0.5 stop as was done in the “David” layer. This exercise convinced my friend David (yes, the very same!) to download the free C1 for Sony to use with his RX100.
    Agree, jpg's are fine when "close". Too much tinkering never becomes them well.