The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting Terry came by this morning with her G1 and 75 cron bolted on. Darn who needs the 10x focusing aid. I was nailing everything in sight wide open but what no one mentioned or i missed was the auto EF adjustment when you stop down the EF stays bright , hello that is magic. That's it as soon as my Oly sells i am getting a G1. I waited and let you folks be the guinea pigs for a change. Now it's my turn and this forum will never be the same.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

mazor

Guy Mancuso, so what you are saying, that with the G1, when you stop down the aperture ring, the EVF automatically increases sensitivity to give the same brightness image? or is there a clutch in the adapter that automatically closes the aperture to the desired amount upon depressing the shutter?

Mazor

Welcome aboard Guy! Your presence will make our exploration of the many possibilities the G1 opens up a lot more fun. One thing I'll be curious to see, is direct comparisons of some M and F lenses on the same body in controlled settings, such as the 28/2 from both camps, and my 50 rigid cron vs my zeiss 50/2. best...Peter

lmr

Mazor... trying not to answer for Guy, but yes, the EF adjust itself and stays bright. There are no coupling between G1 & Leica 75 Cron lens. This is a very useful feature to help in Focusing. Another helpful feature is that you can zoom in to focus too. The EF stays bright. I am able to focus my 50M Nocti so much better on the G1 than on my M8 :)

Robert.

Guy Mancuso

Exactly so you can be at your working aperture at all times , so if it is F8 say than the EV still is F2 in brightness. Anyone coming from Canon for example that used leica lenses you worked in stop down fashion open up to focus and close down to shoot. What a pain that was , now you can be at any aperture and the finder is always at the widest aperture of the lens in brightness. This makes using alternative lenses on the G1 a absolute breeze to use. Thanks Robert for answering.

Maybe my first lens to get after the kit lens maybe the Leica 50 1.4 pre- Asph. I feel that Leica tug at me again. LOL

Now not to drift to far off topic but this maybe better at focusing than the M8 which is somewhat a bear with the longer lenses.

Terry

Exactly so you can be at your working aperture at all times , so if it is F8 say than the EV still is F2 in brightness. Anyone coming from Canon for example that used leica lenses you worked in stop down fashion open up to focus and close down to shoot. What a pain that was , now you can be at any aperture and the finder is always at the widest aperture of the lens in brightness. This makes using alternative lenses on the G1 a absolute breeze to use. Thanks Robert for answering.

Maybe my first lens to get after the kit lens maybe the Leica 50 1.4 pre- Asph. I feel that Leica tug at me again. LOL

Now not to drift to far off topic but this maybe better at focusing than the M8 which is somewhat a bear with the longer lenses.
Mr. Farkas has a beauty in the buy/sell forum.

Guy, there is one caveat to the gain up on the EVF. As the sensor gets less light it does get noisier and grainy. So, if you are starting in cr*p light the viewfinder can't do miracles. That being said the M8 isn't a breeze in bad light or a least for me (I have a fair number of misses).

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Terry I should have brought that up but we are really only concerned at focusing and it still did okay.

Paratom

Hi Woody,
more or less my feeling re the G1 too. As I have said before, this is a landmark product and I think we're now only in the stoneage of advanced EVF cameras that will eventually revolutionize the concept of DSLRs. I wonder when Canon & Nikon will enter the game, no doubt they have by now noticed the stir the G1 has caused in the photographic community.
Now we just need a G6 which has a MF-sized-sensor and takes the Lenses from Mamiya 6 and 7 ;)

Brian Mosley

Guy, just keep an eye out for the G1HD specs before you pull the trigger - I'll do my best to get any advance info.

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Guy, just keep an eye out for the G1HD specs before you pull the trigger - I'll do my best to get any advance info.

Cheers

Brian
Thanks Brian just googled it and it looks very interesting. The blackout I noticed on Terry's unit is a little bothersome when doing continuous shooting. If they can fix that than they really would be more equal to the DSLR types. What i like about this is size and the ability to take a load of different lenses. Now I will say the one thing I noticed in all of the shots and this comes from shooting a MF system which has the best DR around is the G1 looks a little compressed on the DR side of the house but shooting Raw that can be handled a little better in processing but than you think about the pricing on this thing than you smack yourself in the head and say well for 650 dollars what the heck do you expect and the reality is it really is amazing for 650 dollars. What really is turning my head is a 90 or 100mm Leica or Zeiss fast lens can give me a F2 180mm or a fast 150mm lens can be the equivalent of a 300mm. Now that is really hard to ignore. Besides all that as I mentioned earlier is I can nail focus almost every time with a long lens even without the magnification. I have Terry and Cindy coming over this morning for a lighting class and there both bringing there G1's you know by the time they leave I will be hitting the buy button. LOL I would not mind waiting though but my resistance is very weak.:D

Brian Mosley

Well, the big question is whether the Olympus offering will be the same as the tobacco tin mockup (I've read recently on dpreview that it may be completely different)... whether the Oly cam will include in-body stabilisation and an EVF?

If that's the case, then these long lenses will be even more fun to use!

As for the G1HD, I'm interested in how the extra horsepower (necessary for hidef video) may translate to improved IQ... if you have 60fps of data coming off the chip, and can apply some photoacute style processing you could see superresolution, HDR and noise free images coming off that 4/3rds sensor.

Just allow for the fact that, if you buy the G1, you may be looking to add the G1HD within the next few weeks ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Guy Mancuso

You think it is that close to release. You don't have to answer that if it is a conflict with Pano and info on release times. I know you are involved with some OEM's like I am with Phase and leica and have to be careful on what we say on future products

Terry

Panasonic does a big product release for the PMA show. Usually the announcements are late January with products hitting market March/April. The PMA show is a month later this year vs. 2008 (early march vs last days of Jan) but it seems announcements have been more consistent in timing than the show date.

Terry

Me too. 4/3rds and Micro 4/3rds are Olympus creations. The panasonic thing is just a (early) blip in the radar.
Actually, I am going to disagree with you on this one. All evidence points to Panny being the driving force behind mFT and Oly is much further behind in development.

mark1000

Sat here this afternoon i thought i'd have a go at RAW PP. keep in mind i am a complete novice with both interchangeable lens camera's and now RAW having spent the last few years with PAS camera's.

Anyhow here is the pic i worked on, i wanted a warm feel to it as the last of the afternoon sun was streaming through the window but i also didn't want to over do it.

Ok, so C&C please, be completly honest please, dont care how hard it is.

Exif's all there.

Mark.

Brian Mosley

Panasonic does a big product release for the PMA show. Usually the announcements are late January with products hitting market March/April. The PMA show is a month later this year vs. 2008 (early march vs last days of Jan) but it seems announcements have been more consistent in timing than the show date.
This sounds very feasible to me Terry, and I agree with your assessment that Panasonic seems to be the initial driving force behind m4/3rds.

That's not necessarily a bad thing for Olympus - they can be early followers and profit hugely... let Panasonic take the risk and fine tune their own offering based on the feedback.

Kind Regards

Brian