The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Terry

Hmm.. their (Panasonic's) EVF is from their video branch, camera body looks like a rebadged P&S cam. The standard is from the 4/3rds consortium of that Olympus is the founder, the principal player. As delivered (with the kit zoom) most of us would not be here discussing it at all. I would argue that it is the mount and the register that got many outside the P&S market (no dig against any P&S camera users) got interested in the camera and despite the meager/difficult availability of suitable adapters, fueling the interest in that camera. People (not online reviewers, advertisers, agents or the company itself) are pushing it and the technology will get pushed further because there is interest and money to be made for many of these companies.:)
We will see how it all plays out However with the Oly design as currently shown all the adapters in the world wont make a bit of difference in the ergonomics of trying to focus a rangfinder lens without an EVF, tilt swivel LCD, or some other way to see the image. If all of the use of alternative lenses was such a surprise it is funny how the firmware from the beginning has the shoot without lens option.

Terry

What is your set up with the Macro lens? Is this the 90? How close can you focus. I'm assuming the macro adapter is a problem?

V

Vivek

If all of the use of alternative lenses was such a surprise it is funny how the firmware from the beginning has the shoot without lens option.
You can not operate the camera without the kit lens if you do not choose that option (battery will be used as the liveview kicks in all the time, except when power save comes on). Sure they could have tried to cripple the cam to restrict everyone into buying the kit zooms.

Guess what? I would have removed the chip from the kit zoom, implanted it in the cam to fool it permanently that the kit zoom is attached to it.;)

Nikon should be thanked for teaching all of us as to how to undo their intended sabotage. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

kevinparis

guys and gals

can we get back to 'fun with 4/3' aspect of this thread and get away from pointless arguments about who is leading micro 4/3.

Please realise that Panasonic are not building their business plan on the niche market of people who want to attach expensive/obscure lenses to their g1. They are going after a much bigger if less knowledgeable market.

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun

I love seeing the photos you take with your G1's... lets take the other discussions elsewhere

love and peace
K

V

Vivek

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun
Generous. Right. That is exactly what Nikon probably think about their higher priced cams. :ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

Kevin, will you please create a new thread with your post - I have a reply, but I want to follow your suggestion for this thread, so I'll reserve my reply for the other thread.

Kind Regards

Brian

mark1000

There are some stunning shots on this thread, love the VW and phone covers as well as the nice young girl ( B/W ) on the bus.

Mark.

V

Vivek

No crops, Monza. It covers nearly the whole frame (very little in the corners are dark). It is perhaps one of the sharpest/finest lenses I have ever had a chance to use (this I say after only 3 days with it and I have had over ..oh.. I lost count of the numbers of lenses...).

The girl in the tram, the lighting was like that.

scho

Carl, Those are dazzling colors! The lux does well!

Here is one of my snaps.
another at ISO200 (the lens is quite long and does catch the attention of people).
Thanks Vivek. Here in the NE USA we tend to develop a craving for bright colors as the grim reality of a long, gray winter sets in. You are making some excellent shots with that Angenieux.

Regards,
Carl

V

Vivek

Thanks, Carl. It (the lens) is a big burden. Too darned good for me. I try.

scho

There are some stunning shots on this thread, love the VW and phone covers as well as the nice young girl ( B/W ) on the bus.

Mark.
Thanks Mark and I enjoyed your chocolate shot - fingerprints and all.

Regards,
Carl

V

Vivek

Carl, In response to your post (when I absconded) on the 25mm lens question (in this thread), I will talk about it later. It is a manual focus lens.

scho

Re: In all the excitement of discovering the G-spot...

sorry... i meant to say G1...

but with all the semi orgasmic praise for our new found friend at Panasonic... lets just remind ourselves that some of us are still out shooting with good old traditional Olympus four thirds :)

a couple from the last couple of days

first a walkpast snapshot from the 9-18 late at night i Paris... really nice lens.. if a tad slow aperturewise

then one from today with an old Sigmatel 135/1.8

all just for fun

K
Kevin, Very nice B&W work. The portrait shot of the musician is excellent.

Regards,
Carl

peterb

Knorp, LOVE the blue nylon line shot. WOW. The others are equally stunning.

Regarding the discussion about Olympus vs Panasonic and who has the lead, I sorta agree with Terry.

Olympus may have been a principal architect/founding partner of the 4/3s format and that despite the 'mockup' that was revealed at last years Photokina, judging by their prodigious output of incredible optics and hardware they've created for their rather full line of DSLRs, I'd say that's where their primary focus is in terms of time, energy, commitment and R&D. And may continue to be for the foreseable future. And not MFT.

For their part in the 4/3s movement, Panasonic seems to have only token offerings for the 4/3s system (IMHO). So far, just the L1 and the L10 and four Leitz lenses (before Leitz split) and the rest from Olympus. Neither of which, while competent, appear to be roaring successes for them. (True the G1 is also "one" camera too with just two lenses at the moment, but judging by the reaction of the press and people here along with the possibilities of how flexible the concept appears to be vis a vis other optics you can use, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Panasonic must feel they're finally onto something and may want to develop it to the full extent they are capable. Own the format so to speak.)

So it seems to me the MFT format may have presented Panasonic an opportunity to create, for the first time, a real niche of their own. Yeah their research indicated a growing dissatisfaction with weighty DSLRs (even though Olympus has the smallest, true DSLR available for the moment) and that the idea of a smaller camera of some sort with interchangeable lenses may be welcome. But with the possibilities of MFT as an impetus, they had some impressive resources to draw upon to create something truly unique: their HDTV division who had developed highly evolved EVF's (and perhaps even with contrast detection AF) coupled no doubt with their dogged pursuit to develop a respectable processing engine which until now all previous editions had taken quite a beating in the review press for the intolerable noise levels at higher ISOs. And as many on this forum can attest from the images we're seeing, with this Venus HD, they may be finally hitting their stride in that department as well. (The Venus engine powering LX3/DLUX4 was the first indication something good had been achieved. And while noise on the G1 above 800 is still unacceptable for some, under 400 it appears to be a real champ.) So the time was right.

Seeing what they came up with and how quickly they produced a 'full' system I think they may have the lead in this regard. WIth Olympus taking more of a wait and see attitude before investing any more in R&D considering all they've invested already in their own 4/3s system. (Perhaps re-designing and producing some of their super optics in the MFT.)

Of course, I could be dead wrong. But that's my take on it. So we'll have to see.

Peter

Last edited: