The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

ricseet

Hi Ranger, very nice set and I enjoyed it very much.
BTW, with the high IS0 did you experience a nosier background or the lighting on stage was bright enough. Reason I am asking is that I encounter nosier background een with ISO 400 if the background is shaded.
Thank you

ric

R

Ranger 9

Hi Ranger, very nice set and I enjoyed it very much.
BTW, with the high IS0 did you experience a nosier background or the lighting on stage was bright enough. Reason I am asking is that I encounter nosier background een with ISO 400 if the background is shaded.
Thank you
ric
I know what you mean -- images with near-black backgrounds seem more prone to show more noise (and not only with the G1; I see it on underexposed Nikon and Epson photos, too.)

In this particular case, I think there was enough light on the backgrounds that it wasn't really an issue. There's a cyc (backcloth) behind the set, and this had some light on it, so that helped keep the exposure level up.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I suspect that rather than starting out by picking an ISO, a better way to work would be to set the minimum shutter speed and aperture I need for the situation, then adjusting the ISO to get the histogram as far to the right as possible without clipping highlights. That would make sure the shadow areas get the most exposure available. Something else to try...

ricseet

Hi Ranger. that's a good tip and I will start trying that out for the next week. It makes lots of sense and should help. Thank you for the recommendation.

cheers

ric

Leica 77

Here is a wax doll of Chinese Genius Zhang Yimou, Producer of the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. I used a Pentax 40mm f2.8 pacake lens on my Olympus 4/3 SLR - E330. ISO 200. Thanks for viewing. Leica 77.

R

Ranger 9

Eewwww, that is kinda scary! If it weren't for the eyelashes and lack of ear hair, I could easily believe that was the real guy and not a waxwork. The 40/2.8 obviously picks up a LOT of detail.

Martin S

Leica 77

Can u adjust the f stop on the pancake when it is mounted on a 4/3?? I thought that there was no aperture ring on the Pentax pancake lenses.

If so, that's a great shot for a wide open lens!!

Please advise since I have some Pentax lenses and was wondering if they would work on a 4/3, or micro 4/3.

Thanks.

Martin

Leica 77

Hello Ranger 9 and Martin S,
Many thanks for your positive feedback! The pentax pancake 40mm f2.8 that I used is an older SMC M type Pentax lens. It produces pretty sharp images even at f2.8, and I treasure the lens. As you know, with the older one, you can change the aperture. I have been using it on the new Lumix G1 as well. Please see the attached images. Once again, thanks for your kind feedback. Leica 77

Last edited:

scho

A couple of snaps in the mall using the G1 with Canon FD 50mm f/1.2. I'm going on vacation soon and can't decide whether I should take along the Canon FD 50 1.2 or Pan/Leica 25 1.4 as my fast indoor lens. I'll also be packing the two kit lenses. Weight and space argue for the Canon, but the 25 has slightly better image quality and autofocus.

Diane B

Do you think the 'normal' will be of more use for your style shooting--or a longer lens? Also, the AF may be a boon for travel.

I had to look where you lived---in my area, shooting in the mall is verboten.

Diane

scho

Hi Diane, Autofocus is nice, but when shooting with wide apertures I usually get more keepers with manual focus. They haven't kicked me out of the mall yet, but I was told not to use my camera in Home Depot.

Carl

W

wblynch

Hi Diane, Autofocus is nice, but when shooting with wide apertures I usually get more keepers with manual focus. They haven't kicked me out of the mall yet, but I was told not to use my camera in Home Depot.

Carl
haha. Funny part is, anyone using a camera for the "wrong reasons" in a Home Depot (taking down prices?) would be doing it with a cell phone.

I would think a normal lens would be more useful for indoor photos than a tele.

scho

Diane and WB, You are both right that the shorter focal length would probably be better for most situations and I may end up taking the 25. I keep forgetting that I can easily "touch up" autofocus with the G1 using focus assist.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

tonight, I made this "composite" picture :

two exposures (one for hilights and one for shadows) merged with PaintShopPro X2, to get some details in the shadows, while maintaining good brightness in the candles

G1 with 45-200 at 65 (132 eq), ISO 100 at 1/8s & f4.1
on tripod, of course

C U,
Rafael

Last edited:

Leica 77

Fun with Panasonic Lumix G1 with Rollei HFT 85mm Sonnar f2.8 (M42 mount) lens with adapters. Aperture wide open. Thank you for looking. Leica 77

wjlapier

Using the Kern Switar 25/1.4 today. First is I think f/8 or 11. I'm sure I could have used the kit lens, but what fun would that be? Forget about the corners.

R

Ranger 9

Hey, wjlapier, do you happen to know whether your Switar is the standard or Rex version? (Rex is for Bolexes with reflex viewing, standard was for non-reflex Bolexes.)

Rex and non-Rex lenses had exactly the same back focus distance (17.65mm, IIRC) but the Rex versions had different spherical aberration correction to account for the extra glass of the viewing prism. (Not all lenses needed a separate Rex version, so there may not be one for the 25/1.4.)

The reason I'm curious is that in pictures taken with Switar lenses on this thread, I've noticed a difference in the out-of-focus areas: some seem to have blurs that look like little segments of concentric circles, others are normal-looking "blurry" blurs. I'm wondering whether Rex and non-Rex lenses might account for this difference.