The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Brian Mosley

Thanks Bill, Rick... I'm not sure the processing did full justice to the scene - the VW was really glowing in the direct sunlight after a rain storm.

Here's another attempt...

E-620 + PL 14-150mm
1/640s f/5.6 at 74.0mm iso200

Kind Regards

Brian

iiiNelson

The first was taken about a month ago with the Lumix 14-45mm. The last two were taken over the Memorial day weekend with the Lumix 45-200mm.

Helicopters

Stadium Preparations

Street Photography

iiiNelson

Thank you again. I didn't see anything in metadata but I checked a few settings I generally use with my G1 and they are set up pretty close to what I have setup in my D-Lux 4. I generally use Dynamic Color or Dynamic B&W for everything. I use Smooth B&W then PP for when I want a IR-like effect. I limit the Color Presets to ISO 800 on D-Lux 4 and 1600 on the G1 in good light. I limit the D-Lux 4 and G1 to ISO 1600 in B&W except for web-centric media in which I will let the G1 go to 3200 at times.

The G1/ D-Lux4 actually works out well for me for a good walkaround small combo system until a smaller Micro 4/3 is released. The menus are almost identical and the color reproduction is extremely close from both cameras. I often have to check the metadata to tell which image came from which camera which isn't a knock against the G1 but a compliment to the D-Lux 4/ LX3 RAW files.

I used this combo this weekend (and during a Napa trip last month) during the Rock and Walk Walkathon over the Memorial Day weekend in Sacramento. D -Lux 4 covered the wide stuff (24-60mm) and the G1 had the Lumix 45-200mm (90-400mm) on it. It worked out well for me although I didn't take as many longer shots as I thought I would. Everything was obviously handheld. There's more stuff I took in the Small Sensor section and my gallery for a direct look.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Nice capture Godfrey... do you use the kit lens much? I can't wait for the 20mm f1.7 and whatever Oly will bring to m4/3rds. The E-620 is a much better option for 4/3rds native lenses imho - very compact, great build quality and IS built in.

Kind Regards

Brian

Michiel Schierbeek

Late in the evening from my hotel room hanging out the window with some strange tripod improvisation.
Shot with G1 and the 200mm f4 Meyer Orestor.
Michiel

Godfrey

Nice capture Godfrey... do you use the kit lens much? I can't wait for the 20mm f1.7 and whatever Oly will bring to m4/3rds. ...
Thanks!

I find myself using the kit lens mostly when I want to work with wider than normal FOV and don't feel like carrying the much larger 11-22. Manual focus and manual iris control don't bother me with this camera at all.

Diane B

Thanks!

I find myself using the kit lens mostly when I want to work with wider than normal FOV and don't feel like carrying the much larger 11-22. Manual focus and manual iris control don't bother me with this camera at all.
I've done the same. I wonder if I will carry the 9-18 that much now--I know I rarely carry the 12-24 with the 5D because its almost too wide for me and when I get to the longer end, I have other options.

I, too, have no problem at all with manual focus or manual iris control--in fact find MF lenses on most of the time. My problem is that I have no fast option in the 20 FL range. I've looked at the FD 20 f/2.8-not as fast as I'd like and its pretty hefty, relatively--and I've not seen anyone using it on the G1. I understand that some other 'wide' lenses have issues with the G1 (m mounts in particular)--so I am waiting for the Panasonic 20 f/1.7--or perhaps Olympus will offer something tempting. I do have an FD 24 f/2.8 which is quite nice--and have thought about the 25 f/1.4, but have decided I am willing to wait for the 20, which I would prefer.

Diane

jonoslack

Here are a couple of tests from today playing about with an E620 in the garden:

this one with the 14-42 kit lens

this one with the 50 macro

I had the chance to try one out properly - it's certainly lovely to use, Olympus really seem to have got the interface sorted out.

These were processed in capture one

Godfrey

I've done the same. I wonder if I will carry the 9-18 that much now--I know I rarely carry the 12-24 with the 5D because its almost too wide for me and when I get to the longer end, I have other options.

I, too, have no problem at all with manual focus or manual iris control--in fact find MF lenses on most of the time. My problem is that I have no fast option in the 20 FL range. I've looked at the FD 20 f/2.8-not as fast as I'd like and its pretty hefty, relatively--and I've not seen anyone using it on the G1. I understand that some other 'wide' lenses have issues with the G1 (m mounts in particular)--so I am waiting for the Panasonic 20 f/1.7--or perhaps Olympus will offer something tempting. I do have an FD 24 f/2.8 which is quite nice--and have thought about the 25 f/1.4, but have decided I am willing to wait for the 20, which I would prefer.
I'd enjoy having the 9-18, just can't afford it right now. Maybe sell off some other stuff ... and then I have to decide whether to go for it or for the 7-14 for ultraultrawide. ;-)

My advice is to wait on the 20mm. I have a Nikkor 20/3.5AI which works very nicely on the G1 (and E-1, L1 ... although it's infinitely harder to focus on the SLRs vs the G1!) ... but something closer to f/2 would be grand. I'm sure that Olympus will offer new lenses and the Lumix G 20/1.7 is due up within just a couple of months.

I did buy a Cosmicar 12.4mm f/1.4 and C-mount adapter. At less than $70, it should be fun regardless of whether it is any good or not... and it's small, light, fast.