The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Vivek - nice street shots. I like the B&W conversions.

hot - your last couple of pages of butterfly shots are fantastic. Nice colors. That 14-140 lens creates a very nice bokeh.

V

Vivek

Mike, Thanks for your kind words. I still need a "real" monitor. I am finally convincing myself that it is not me but my equipment (how far have I traveled!).

and for those "shadow" details, G1 does it reasonably well.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thanks, Keith.

That 100mm lens is one of the "cheaper" ones in the Pen F line up. They are all awesome.

W

wblynch

Since the Oly E-P1 came out, the prices on old Pen-F stuff has gone through the roof. I did manage to get a 40/1.4 that I haven't mounted yet but 20's and 25's seem hard to get (hard as in $$$$).

I really wish they would produce some good old fashioned manual primes for us.

Not everyone wants a 12x Auto-Everything lens. There are too many compromises. (like the old saying, Jack of all trades yet master of none).

But that said, the 14-140 is compelling.

Godfrey

... Train Man

Panasonic G1 + Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4
flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3757431456/

Jim was the docent and very knowledgeable train man at Niles station when I went there for a photowalk two weeks ago. Here he is showing me the sitting room at the front of a business car named "The Oakland", Southern Pacific #131.

Comments always appreciated.

V

vlatko

Re: ... Train Man

Panasonic G1 + Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4
Nice shot, Godfrey.:thumbup: What process did you use to tone the photo?

I must have missed it... somewhere, but how how did you put the Cosmicar on? What kind of adapter?

Godfrey

Re: ... Train Man

Nice shot, Godfrey.

What process did you use to tone the photo?

I must have missed it... somewhere, but how how did you put the Cosmicar on? What kind of adapter?
Thanks!

All the rendering is done in Lightroom, the warm tone is applied as a split-tone preset.

To fit the Cosmicar, I used a C-mount adapter from hawkpeng 2003. The Cosmicar's base flange is too wide to fit, so I machined it on a lathe. I made a mistake, and wanted to retain the ability to undo the lens body securing grub screws, so my fitment is a little unusual in that the center portion of the flange mount is separated from the outer portion. The outer portion is notched right up to the bottom of the grub screw threads to just center it into the mount adapter and then glued in place on the adapter. This sets my infinity registration at f/1.4 to be about 4'. The lens achieves infinity focus by setting the focus ring to infinity and stopping it down to f/9.

Although it sounds weird, it proves to be a kick to work with and does what I wanted. Most of what I photograph with this lens is in the near and close range, opening the aperture gives me very interesting bokeh opportunities. When I want edge to edge sharpness and there's adequate light, I just slam it down to around f/11 where the DOF becomes 2.5' to infinity ... makes the G1 into a point, frame, expose camera. :)