Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Waiting for the Oly mFT Version....
    Like the chassis more...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Guy, just keep an eye out for the G1HD specs before you pull the trigger - I'll do my best to get any advance info.

Cheers

Brian
    Thanks Brian just googled it and it looks very interesting. The blackout I noticed on Terry's unit is a little bothersome when doing continuous shooting. If they can fix that than they really would be more equal to the DSLR types. What i like about this is size and the ability to take a load of different lenses. Now I will say the one thing I noticed in all of the shots and this comes from shooting a MF system which has the best DR around is the G1 looks a little compressed on the DR side of the house but shooting Raw that can be handled a little better in processing but than you think about the pricing on this thing than you smack yourself in the head and say well for 650 dollars what the heck do you expect and the reality is it really is amazing for 650 dollars. What really is turning my head is a 90 or 100mm Leica or Zeiss fast lens can give me a F2 180mm or a fast 150mm lens can be the equivalent of a 300mm. Now that is really hard to ignore. Besides all that as I mentioned earlier is I can nail focus almost every time with a long lens even without the magnification. I have Terry and Cindy coming over this morning for a lighting class and there both bringing there G1's you know by the time they leave I will be hitting the buy button. LOL I would not mind waiting though but my resistance is very weak.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the big question is whether the Olympus offering will be the same as the tobacco tin mockup (I've read recently on dpreview that it may be completely different)... whether the Oly cam will include in-body stabilisation and an EVF?

If that's the case, then these long lenses will be even more fun to use!

As for the G1HD, I'm interested in how the extra horsepower (necessary for hidef video) may translate to improved IQ... if you have 60fps of data coming off the chip, and can apply some photoacute style processing you could see superresolution, HDR and noise free images coming off that 4/3rds sensor.

Just allow for the fact that, if you buy the G1, you may be looking to add the G1HD within the next few weeks

Kind Regards

Brian

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You think it is that close to release. You don't have to answer that if it is a conflict with Pano and info on release times. I know you are involved with some OEM's like I am with Phase and leica and have to be careful on what we say on future products
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panasonic does a big product release for the PMA show. Usually the announcements are late January with products hitting market March/April. The PMA show is a month later this year vs. 2008 (early march vs last days of Jan) but it seems announcements have been more consistent in timing than the show date.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Waiting for the Oly mFT Version....
    Like the chassis more...

Me too. 4/3rds and Micro 4/3rds are Olympus creations. The panasonic thing is just a (early) blip in the radar.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Me too. 4/3rds and Micro 4/3rds are Olympus creations. The panasonic thing is just a (early) blip in the radar.
    Actually, I am going to disagree with you on this one. All evidence points to Panny being the driving force behind mFT and Oly is much further behind in development.

Post Thanks / Like

Sat here this afternoon i thought i'd have a go at RAW PP. keep in mind i am a complete novice with both interchangeable lens camera's and now RAW having spent the last few years with PAS camera's.

Anyhow here is the pic i worked on, i wanted a warm feel to it as the last of the afternoon sun was streaming through the window but i also didn't want to over do it.

Ok, so C&C please, be completly honest please, dont care how hard it is.

Exif's all there.

Mark.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Actually, I am going to disagree with you on this one. All evidence points to Panny being the driving force behind mFT and Oly is much further behind in development.

What evidence would that be Terry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panasonic does a big product release for the PMA show. Usually the announcements are late January with products hitting market March/April. The PMA show is a month later this year vs. 2008 (early march vs last days of Jan) but it seems announcements have been more consistent in timing than the show date.
    This sounds very feasible to me Terry, and I agree with your assessment that Panasonic seems to be the initial driving force behind m4/3rds.

That's not necessarily a bad thing for Olympus - they can be early followers and profit hugely... let Panasonic take the risk and fine tune their own offering based on the feedback.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking as an enthusiastic user with no commercial gains to be had from any brand of camera gear (and obviously no "connections" or "insider information" and the like), let me say that the m4/3rds also is an Olympus creation.

I will write more on it when I find a suitable format to put that in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, I hope you're not offended by our guesswork (and that is all it is) - I agree that m4/3rds is a co-creation... but Panasonic seem to be spearheading the products.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My goodness, no, Brian!

I am sorry if that post came across to strong, harsh and with any sorts of negative connotations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likewise Vivek

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Such a civil forum--and that's not said with my tongue in cheek.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What evidence would that be Terry?
    Vivek,
    I can go back and dig up the interviews at the launch time. At launch, Panny had a camera ready to go (it was in the hands of reviewers for Previews). They had lenses ready and a lens line-up and time table. They had the EVF sorted out for still photography, and announced they were working on video.
    In addition if you read some of previews, like at DPReview, they had been speaking to Panny about the concept and what they were working on for a while.

I will contrast that with Oly who had zero to show and talk about at the launch. They came up with a non working prototype and no time table at Photokina, haven't discussed anything about an EVF, still have said nothing about a lens lineup. etc.

When you look at the diagrams of the register difference etc. Everything being shown is Panasonic.

So, can I say with absolute certainty that Oly didn't dream it up and are really the leaders here, no but all evidence I have seen leads me to my conclusion.

If you come up with other info, I can be convinced that Oly is the leader.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In all the excitement of discovering the G-spot...

sorry... i meant to say G1...

but with all the semi orgasmic praise for our new found friend at Panasonic... lets just remind ourselves that some of us are still out shooting with good old traditional Olympus four thirds :-)

a couple from the last couple of days

first a walkpast snapshot from the 9-18 late at night i Paris... really nice lens.. if a tad slow aperturewise

then one from today with an old Sigmatel 135/1.8

all just for fun

K
    Last edited by kevinparis; 30th September 2009 at 23:57.

Post Thanks / Like

As this is the fun with 4/3rd's pic thread i thought i'd have some fun with my wife's chocolate.

G1 14-45 kit lens, pp with topaz adapt filter in CS3.

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark you are a dead man... and your fingerprints are all over the evidence... eat it now before she notices its missing :-)

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we can identify the chocolate thief by those fingerprints. Did you have to touch every piece?
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

is there not a Photoshop filter for fingerprint removal?

K

Bhakti-rider

Mark, I really like that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I will not dispute what you list. However, it still is like saying that Cosina dictate everything to do with 35mm RF gear because they have cameras and lenses that are current. By the same token, Epson should have been the undisputed "leaders" of a digital range finder as well.

BTW, that Lincoln memorial concert is beamed here live. Can't miss the biggest show on TV for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    Mark you are a dead man... and your fingerprints are all over the evidence... eat it now before she notices its missing :-)

K
    Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I think we can identify the chocolate thief by those fingerprints. Did you have to touch every piece?
    is there not a Photoshop filter for fingerprint removal?

K
    Guys, i promise i washed my hands before i sneaked the chocolate out the kitchen

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy

how could you ever steal choco from the kids...?
    Nasty, nasty, nasty....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Terry, I will not dispute what you list. However, it still is like saying that Cosina dictate everything to do with 35mm RF gear because they have cameras and lenses that are current. By the same token, Epson should have been the undisputed "leaders" of a digital range finder as well.

BTW, that Lincoln memorial concert is beamed here live. Can't miss the biggest show on TV for this year.
    I don't think that is what I was saying or intending to say. Pushing a technology forward is my point. That does not mean leader forever.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few mall shots taken with the 25 lux/G1. All ISO 100, f/1.4 to f/1.8.

Chocolate shopper:

Kiddy VW:

Phone Skins:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think that is what I was saying or intending to say. Pushing a technology forward is my point. That does not mean leader forever.
    Hmm.. their (Panasonic's) EVF is from their video branch, camera body looks like a rebadged P&S cam. The standard is from the 4/3rds consortium of that Olympus is the founder, the principal player. As delivered (with the kit zoom) most of us would not be here discussing it at all. I would argue that it is the mount and the register that got many outside the P&S market (no dig against any P&S camera users) got interested in the camera and despite the meager/difficult availability of suitable adapters, fueling the interest in that camera. People (not online reviewers, advertisers, agents or the company itself) are pushing it and the technology will get pushed further because there is interest and money to be made for many of these companies.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, Those are dazzling colors! The lux does well!

Here is one of my snaps.

Panasonic G1, Angenieux 25/0.95, ISO800

another at ISO200 (the lens is quite long and does catch the attention of people).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few close-ups from today: g1 + apo-macro-elmarit-r [all iso320]

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm.. their (Panasonic's) EVF is from their video branch, camera body looks like a rebadged P&S cam. The standard is from the 4/3rds consortium of that Olympus is the founder, the principal player. As delivered (with the kit zoom) most of us would not be here discussing it at all. I would argue that it is the mount and the register that got many outside the P&S market (no dig against any P&S camera users) got interested in the camera and despite the meager/difficult availability of suitable adapters, fueling the interest in that camera. People (not online reviewers, advertisers, agents or the company itself) are pushing it and the technology will get pushed further because there is interest and money to be made for many of these companies.
    We will see how it all plays out However with the Oly design as currently shown all the adapters in the world wont make a bit of difference in the ergonomics of trying to focus a rangfinder lens without an EVF, tilt swivel LCD, or some other way to see the image. If all of the use of alternative lenses was such a surprise it is funny how the firmware from the beginning has the shoot without lens option.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is your set up with the Macro lens? Is this the 90? How close can you focus. I'm assuming the macro adapter is a problem?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If all of the use of alternative lenses was such a surprise it is funny how the firmware from the beginning has the shoot without lens option.
    You can not operate the camera without the kit lens if you do not choose that option (battery will be used as the liveview kicks in all the time, except when power save comes on). Sure they could have tried to cripple the cam to restrict everyone into buying the kit zooms.

Guess what? I would have removed the chip from the kit zoom, implanted it in the cam to fool it permanently that the kit zoom is attached to it.

Nikon should be thanked for teaching all of us as to how to undo their intended sabotage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

guys and gals

can we get back to 'fun with 4/3' aspect of this thread and get away from pointless arguments about who is leading micro 4/3.

Please realise that Panasonic are not building their business plan on the niche market of people who want to attach expensive/obscure lenses to their g1. They are going after a much bigger if less knowledgeable market.

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun

I love seeing the photos you take with your G1's... lets take the other discussions elsewhere

love and peace
    K

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sure they have been kind enough to allow the facility to add older lenses... but that is not their focus if you excuse the pun
    Generous. Right. That is exactly what Nikon probably think about their higher priced cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin, will you please create a new thread with your post - I have a reply, but I want to follow your suggestion for this thread, so I'll reserve my reply for the other thread.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

There are some stunning shots on this thread, love the VW and phone covers as well as the nice young girl ( B/W ) on the bus.

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

brian... new thread created as you requested... its called is the G1 made for us !!

K

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, the Angenieux is covering nearly all the sensor or is that cropped?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No crops, Monza. It covers nearly the whole frame (very little in the corners are dark). It is perhaps one of the sharpest/finest lenses I have ever had a chance to use (this I say after only 3 days with it and I have had over ..oh.. I lost count of the numbers of lenses...).

The girl in the tram, the lighting was like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2 with the zeiss ikon 21/4.5

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, Those are dazzling colors! The lux does well!

Here is one of my snaps.
    another at ISO200 (the lens is quite long and does catch the attention of people).
    Thanks Vivek. Here in the NE USA we tend to develop a craving for bright colors as the grim reality of a long, gray winter sets in. You are making some excellent shots with that Angenieux.

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    2 with the zeiss ikon 21/4.5
    Joe,
    Nice, crisp B&W shots with that Zeiss 21 on the G1.
    Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Carl. It (the lens) is a big burden. Too darned good for me. I try.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1000 View Post
    There are some stunning shots on this thread, love the VW and phone covers as well as the nice young girl ( B/W ) on the bus.

Mark.
    Thanks Mark and I enjoyed your chocolate shot - fingerprints and all.

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, In response to your post (when I absconded) on the 25mm lens question (in this thread), I will talk about it later. It is a manual focus lens.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In all the excitement of discovering the G-spot...

sorry... i meant to say G1...

but with all the semi orgasmic praise for our new found friend at Panasonic... lets just remind ourselves that some of us are still out shooting with good old traditional Olympus four thirds :-)

a couple from the last couple of days

first a walkpast snapshot from the 9-18 late at night i Paris... really nice lens.. if a tad slow aperturewise

then one from today with an old Sigmatel 135/1.8

all just for fun

K
    Kevin, Very nice B&W work. The portrait shot of the musician is excellent.

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Knorp, LOVE the blue nylon line shot. WOW. The others are equally stunning.

Regarding the discussion about Olympus vs Panasonic and who has the lead, I sorta agree with Terry.

Olympus may have been a principal architect/founding partner of the 4/3s format and that despite the 'mockup' that was revealed at last years Photokina, judging by their prodigious output of incredible optics and hardware they've created for their rather full line of DSLRs, I'd say that's where their primary focus is in terms of time, energy, commitment and R&D. And may continue to be for the foreseable future. And not MFT.

For their part in the 4/3s movement, Panasonic seems to have only token offerings for the 4/3s system (IMHO). So far, just the L1 and the L10 and four Leitz lenses (before Leitz split) and the rest from Olympus. Neither of which, while competent, appear to be roaring successes for them. (True the G1 is also "one" camera too with just two lenses at the moment, but judging by the reaction of the press and people here along with the possibilities of how flexible the concept appears to be vis a vis other optics you can use, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Panasonic must feel they're finally onto something and may want to develop it to the full extent they are capable. Own the format so to speak.)

So it seems to me the MFT format may have presented Panasonic an opportunity to create, for the first time, a real niche of their own. Yeah their research indicated a growing dissatisfaction with weighty DSLRs (even though Olympus has the smallest, true DSLR available for the moment) and that the idea of a smaller camera of some sort with interchangeable lenses may be welcome. But with the possibilities of MFT as an impetus, they had some impressive resources to draw upon to create something truly unique: their HDTV division who had developed highly evolved EVF's (and perhaps even with contrast detection AF) coupled no doubt with their dogged pursuit to develop a respectable processing engine which until now all previous editions had taken quite a beating in the review press for the intolerable noise levels at higher ISOs. And as many on this forum can attest from the images we're seeing, with this Venus HD, they may be finally hitting their stride in that department as well. (The Venus engine powering LX3/DLUX4 was the first indication something good had been achieved. And while noise on the G1 above 800 is still unacceptable for some, under 400 it appears to be a real champ.) So the time was right.

Seeing what they came up with and how quickly they produced a 'full' system I think they may have the lead in this regard. WIth Olympus taking more of a wait and see attitude before investing any more in R&D considering all they've invested already in their own 4/3s system. (Perhaps re-designing and producing some of their super optics in the MFT.)

Of course, I could be dead wrong. But that's my take on it. So we'll have to see.

Peter
    Last edited by peterb; 18th January 2009 at 17:58.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one from yesterday, G1 with kit 14-45 lens.

Attachment 10975

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 12th July 2009 at 14:37.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So many nice photos here.
    Kevin, love the noodle crowd!