Site Sponsors
Page 81 of 137 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,050 of 6832

Thread: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Getting back into Micro Four Thirds. Conspicuousness of the 7D has started weighing me down.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Walking In Guadalupe River Park #7

Olympus E-5 + ZD 50mm f/2 Macro

The above photo is part of a set of seven new landscape works I've posted to flickr.com. Clicking on it will present a slide show.

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Godfrey

wonderful colors - seems the E5 is performing extremely well

I am still in decision mode to go for it .....

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    @ Godfrey
    wonderful colors - seems the E5 is performing extremely well
    I am still in decision mode to go for it .....
    Thanks!

I'm lovin' it, for me it was certainly the right camera to go with. While I'd still like to find that perfect complement in a more compact camera for the limited times I would like to carry less camera, it's a luxury that I don't need. This camera performs beautifully, the FourThirds SLR lenses are excellent :: it just works and gets out of my way.

There's nothing better I can say about a camera than that it "gets out of my way." Equipment so often gets in the way of Photography ... !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Thanks!

I'm lovin' it, for me it was certainly the right camera to go with. While I'd still like to find that perfect complement in a more compact camera for the limited times I would like to carry less camera, it's a luxury that I don't need. This camera performs beautifully, the FourThirds SLR lenses are excellent :: it just works and gets out of my way.

There's nothing better I can say about a camera than that it "gets out of my way." Equipment so often gets in the way of Photography ... !
    I agree to that! I would love a Leica R or S type of behavior as I am a long year Leica shooter, so this would be the camera to go best out of my way. But from my times I used the E1 and even the E3 I know that Olympus comes very close to that level.

And the E5 seems to have overcome all the limitations of the E3.

WRT IQ - how good would you rate that compared to other top of the line APSC DSLRs? And how compared to Nikon D700 (my current setup)? I am not talking (asking) about high ISO performance as the D700 would be the winner here, but general IQ ....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to that! I would love a Leica R or S type of behavior as I am a long year Leica shooter, so this would be the camera to go best out of my way. But from my times I used the E1 and even the E3 I know that Olympus comes very close to that level.

And the E5 seems to have overcome all the limitations of the E3.

WRT IQ - how good would you rate that compared to other top of the line APSC DSLRs? And how compared to Nikon D700 (my current setup)? I am not talking (asking) about high ISO performance as the D700 would be the winner here, but general IQ ....
    100% agree. Although i am still thinking a Leica M camera would be a wonderful addition my E-5 was the right decision and combined with Zuiko lenses it is a "dream come true solution" for me. Now i am still waiting to get a E-Ppro as my "always with me" companion. Otherwise i need to buy a M9 which would be not a bad idea at all but it has no Zuiko lens support and some female resistance and objections to overcome

Klaus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    100% agree. Although i am still thinking a Leica M camera would be a wonderful addition my E-5 was the right decision and combined with Zuiko lenses it is a "dream come true solution" for me. Now i am still waiting to get a E-Ppro as my "always with me" companion. Otherwise i need to buy a M9 which would be not a bad idea at all but it has no Zuiko lens support and some female resistance and objections to overcome

Klaus
    I am actually on the clip to buy a M9 for being able to make again use of all my wonderful M glass in the digital world. Issue why I am still hesitating is, that I was burned so much with the M8 and also the Leica M primes, while wonderful lenses, are somehow limiting when it comes to the flexibility of zoom lenses.

So I kind of consider the E5 and pro grade Zuiko glass as more flexible and useful - for me! Will decide over the next few weeks what to do. That I will sell my Nikon stuff is almost done deal for me, but what to buy from that money is still open ....

I am very intrigued by the E5 and results. And I would love to have a set of the pro grade zooms for it - 7-14, 14-35, 35-100 ..... could not be too much wrong going that direction I guess.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... WRT IQ - how good would you rate that compared to other top of the line APSC DSLRs? And how compared to Nikon D700 (my current setup)? I am not talking (asking) about high ISO performance as the D700 would be the winner here, but general IQ ....
    I'm not particularly good at making comparisons like this, mostly because I think they're irrelevant to me. I haven't seen dramatically significant differences in image quality for my raw workflow and image/print needs since DSLRs with 6 Mpixel sensors became reasonably affordable. It's more what lenses I'm using. The current standard of 10-14 Mpixel cameras in all the various sensor sizes all do a darn good job on image detailing with a good lens and a sturdy tripod.

Where camera improvements since 2003 have been significant to me are in responsiveness, sensitivity, noise control and dynamic range. I don't own a half dozen different brands of the latest equipment available to do sensible comparison testing, but with the E-5 I see almost 11.5 stops of DR at ISO 1600 (!) in my tests (with excellent acutance) and very useable sensitivity/noise at ISO 3200 (even at ISO 6400 with some reservations and work). At ISO 1250 or less, noise control is superb.

Color, etc ... that's all a matter of rendering and camera calibration. I have my own set of custom camera calibration profiles and a bunch of Lightroom presets that help me get started when I'm rendering my photographs. What camera I'm using is really a small matter in this regard when working raw image files.

I also like FourThirds' more square image proportions and more DoF with larger apertures. I'm not a participant in the current fad of "ultra razor thin" DoF ... ;-) ... I need enough DoF to actually encompass what I want in focus and having two stops faster shutter speed is useful to me for hand-held work.

--
    I shot with Nikon SLRs and Leica RF 35mm film cameras for many years. They both got out of the way for me. What I'd like is a Leica RF like camera with one, maybe two focal lengths ... the M9 would be delightful but it's a tad pricey for what I really need. The Fuji X100 is looking appealing if I'm willing to give up the longer focal length, the latest Oly Pen with a pair of Noktons (25mm f/0.95 and 40mm f/1.4) might be the ticket too. But the Pens don't have quite the handling joy that I think the X100 will. Time will tell, I'm in no rush at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm not particularly good at making comparisons like this, mostly because I think they're irrelevant to me. I haven't seen dramatically significant differences in image quality for my raw workflow and image/print needs since DSLRs with 6 Mpixel sensors became reasonably affordable. It's more what lenses I'm using. The current standard of 10-14 Mpixel cameras in all the various sensor sizes all do a darn good job on image detailing with a good lens and a sturdy tripod.

Where camera improvements since 2003 have been significant to me are in responsiveness, sensitivity, noise control and dynamic range. I don't own a half dozen different brands of the latest equipment available to do sensible comparison testing, but with the E-5 I see almost 11.5 stops of DR at ISO 1600 (!) in my tests (with excellent acutance) and very useable sensitivity/noise at ISO 3200 (even at ISO 6400 with some reservations and work). At ISO 1250 or less, noise control is superb.

Color, etc ... that's all a matter of rendering and camera calibration. I have my own set of custom camera calibration profiles and a bunch of Lightroom presets that help me get started when I'm rendering my photographs. What camera I'm using is really a small matter in this regard when working raw image files.

I also like FourThirds' more square image proportions and more DoF with larger apertures. I'm not a participant in the current fad of "ultra razor thin" DoF ... ;-) ... I need enough DoF to actually encompass what I want in focus and having two stops faster shutter speed is useful to me for hand-held work.

--
    I shot with Nikon SLRs and Leica RF 35mm film cameras for many years. They both got out of the way for me. What I'd like is a Leica RF like camera with one, maybe two focal lengths ... the M9 would be delightful but it's a tad pricey for what I really need. The Fuji X100 is looking appealing if I'm willing to give up the longer focal length, the latest Oly Pen with a pair of Noktons (25mm f/0.95 and 40mm f/1.4) might be the ticket too. But the Pens don't have quite the handling joy that I think the X100 will. Time will tell, I'm in no rush at all.
    Thanks for that very open answer! I appreciate.

I also tend to see the possibilities of the E5 with some good 43 lenses as a big advantage. If real higher resolution is needed then nothing will top MF, so I have the H3D39 for that. But in the area of 10-24MP I think the E5 (although on the lower end of the resolution curve) seems to be a real winner. In combination with good lenses of course.

M9 seems to be really good, but what you say is right, for the few occasions I would use or need it it is very expensive. I also do not want to warm up the pixel race here, but I somehow have the feeling that a M10 with 36MP (the next generation FF chip which was already introduced by Kodak) would really be a revolutionary step for the digital M line and my stomach tells me that it is not so far out. So investing in a M9 today is maybe a bit of waste of money if it is not really needed for majority of work.

I will give the E5 a try. Will ask my dealer that I can test shoot an E5 for a few days.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cambodia with the GH1 again, but a different set of lenses. I'm getting more impressed with this camera every day. This one has no adjustments whatsoever, except sharpening for web, and even that is very modest, plus perspective. Jpeg from the camera.

GH1 with Pana 7-14mm @ 12mm and f/8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one shot at noon under the clear, tropical sky. Slight curves adjustment to reduce the contrast. I suddenly realised that this camera has an almost-Xpan built in. Very convenient

GH1 with Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4 @ f/8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And a portrait in the morning sun.

GH1 with Zeiss CY 50mm f/1.4 @ f/5.6

Post Thanks / Like

Simply stunning. Jorgen, your pictures are so beautiful. I always enjoy them a lot. Wish i could go to Asia for a roundtrip ...

Klaus

Post Thanks / Like

Leg

Olympus E-P1 + Panasonic Lumix 20 mm, no NR
    ISO200 @ f1.7, 1/40 second, 20 mm focal length

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot, Klaus. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, pic-upload.de is still censored here in Thailand, so I can't see your last photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GH1 with OM Zuiko 200mm f/5.0 @ f/5.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More from Cambodia.

GH1 with Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful images Jorgen... I was especially interested in seeing the above pic with the Zeiss C/Y Planar 85/1.4, as I just picked one of these up as my first legacy lens for my GH2/GF1 kit. From the looks of it, I'd guess shot at f/5.6 or perhaps f/8?

I've had the lens for a few days, but the adaptor just came today, so I've been eagerly testing it out tonight on things around the house... driving my wife and my dog crazy with requests to pose for me. ;-) I'm looking forward to see what I can pull out of it. It's ok at 1.4, but crisps up much nicer at f/2 and especially f/4-5.6. I bought it primarily for shallow DOF still and motion portraits with the GH2. Will probably shoot mine at f/1.4 - 2 quite a bit for "the look". I can achieve this easily with my 5DMkII and gear, but wanted to try to achieve the same look with m4/3. Glad to see a fellow Zeiss 85/1.4 m4/3 shooter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, DHart. The last one is probably at f/4. It's cropped a bit, so the distance is longer than what it appears to be. The lens is amazingly sharp from f/2 to f/8, but also f/1.4 is very good. The contrast is much lower when shooting towards the sun, even when the sun is not in the frame. I'm looking for a shade. Will probably buy a generic one, since the original is difficult to find and a bit complicated with a step-up ring for each lens.

Colourwise, the GH1 and Zeiss lenses seems to be a perfect match. I don't do any adjustments whatsoever. The 50/1.4 is very good also, of course, and I plan to buy the 135mm f/2.8 as well. For wider lenses, there are more convenient alternatives around, particularly those from Voigtänder, and obviously the native m43 lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Colourwise, the GH1 and Zeiss lenses seems to be a perfect match. I don't do any adjustments whatsoever.
    Is this a JPEG or a RAW? If RAW, ACR/Lightroom of something else? I do like the colour.

How would you compare the 85/1.4 with the Zuiko 100/2.8 or 85/2, if you have tested them on the G1H?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, DHart. The last one is probably at f/4. It's cropped a bit, so the distance is longer than what it appears to be. The lens is amazingly sharp from f/2 to f/8, but also f/1.4 is very good. The contrast is much lower when shooting towards the sun, even when the sun is not in the frame. I'm looking for a shade. Will probably buy a generic one, since the original is difficult to find and a bit complicated with a step-up ring for each lens.
    Ah yes, I discovered the lens hood dilemma right after I clicked the Buy Now button on eBay. I will use mine with backlit situations mostly and knew I would need a hood for sure. When I went to look for one I realized the problem of hard to find/very high cost. I was able to find a rubber one, however, for $55 which I considered a bargain vs $250 for a Zeiss metal one.

Colourwise, the GH1 and Zeiss lenses seems to be a perfect match. I don't do any adjustments whatsoever. The 50/1.4 is very good also, of course, and I plan to buy the 135mm f/2.8 as well. For wider lenses, there are more convenient alternatives around, particularly those from Voigtänder, and obviously the native m43 lenses.
    I wound up going with a Canon new FD 50/1.4 and Voigt 35/1.2 aspherical for my other legacy lenses. The Canon is ho hum at 1.4 but very good at 2.0 to 8. Color with the Canon is colder than Zeiss. But I only shoot RAW and do all my color work in post. The 35/1.2 is ok at 1.2 but sharpens up very well at 2 to 5.6 very nicely. All of these are low contrast wide open, but that can be dealt with in post.

I found in comparing tests with these three legacy lenses to the 20/1.7 that the little Panny pancake is truly a stellar, must have lens. The sharpness on the little Panny is stunningly superior... Including wide open!

Post Thanks / Like

waiting for spring

Post Thanks / Like

Hullo to you all, I'm new to this thread having just obtained an Oly E-PL1. I am on the small sensor forum with my GX100.
    I have had the camera two weeks now and enjoying it immensely, although a little perplexed about the RAW files not working in RawTherapee. Solved by converting them to DNG.
    A first post- Bruxelles Grand Place using the E-Pl1 with the manfrotto mini.

I held the camera against a plastic screening using the Manfrotto mini and delayed exposure.

This camera is a replacemnt for my C5050Z, which died due to a bug crawling in and shorting things out...

Best rgds to all
    paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    Is this a JPEG or a RAW? If RAW, ACR/Lightroom of something else? I do like the colour.

How would you compare the 85/1.4 with the Zuiko 100/2.8 or 85/2, if you have tested them on the G1H?
    These are jpegs straight from the camera. The two portraits have no adjustments except sharpening for web, but even that is minimal. The Zeiss 85/1.4 is much sharper than the Zuiko 100/2.8, which I have used extensively. The Zuiko needs to be stopped down to at least f/4 and preferably f/5.6 to be really sharp.

The downside with the Zeiss is obviously the size and weight. Although it's not a particularly large lens, it's much bigger than either Zuiko, and it feels like it's made out of one massive chunk of glass. Zuiko 100/2 and 90/2 Makro would probably be closer in quality to the Zeiss, but also in size/weight, and they are very expensive, easily twice as much as I paid for the Zeiss.

The Zuiko 85/2 is an interesting alternative which I have almost bought on numerous occasions. Not as good as the Zeiss it seems, but much smaller, reasonably priced and a stop faster than the 100/2.8. Another lightweight alternative is the Pentax 77/1.8. It's an AF-lens, but better to focus manually than most other AF-lenses, and at just 270g, it's really lightweight. Rather expensive though, but then it's a better portrait lens than most others out there.

jamessp

I've been stalking this forum since thinking about a jump to m4/3 and I've really appreciated the images and thoughts of many people here in my decision to go small. I had been lugging around what felt like hundreds of pounds of Canon equipment and I just couldn't take it anymore (literally). So I dumped all my Canon gear to finance a GF1, 7-14, 20/1.7, Zeiss ZM 50/2, and a Contax G 90. Some shots by Ray Evans tipped me over the edge on the 90, and I love the shots taken by Louis Berk with his 7-14--they were superb enough to spend $600. Thanks guys! So the equipment trickled in during the past week and here's one I took today of my son with the Contax 90 off a gorillapod (love that the timer is easily accessible on the GF1).

Post Thanks / Like

Just received this lens and today, beginning my testing with it. This image made with GH2, ISO 320, Zeiss C/Y 85/1.4 Planar T*, shot at f/1.4, the background is a wooded pergola and weed field on my rural property. I bought this lens specifically for shallow depth of focus still and motion portrait work. I think it's going to work well for me.

Here's the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical, again, shot on the GH2, ISO 320, shot at f/1.2 with the same pergola background as the above image.

The post to the right side of the image is about 4.5 ft. away from her and that's a wisteria vine winding it's way around and up the post of the pergola.

Clearly, great subject isolation with major BG bokeh is easy to get with these fast lenses when shot wide open and close to minimum focal distance. Perfect receipe for the style of portraiture that I often do. My usual kit for portrait work is the 5DMkII with 70-200 f/2.8L, shot at f/2.8, so using this little GH2 kit is a real hoot for me! I'm likin' it! Not sure how my clients would respond to my use of such non-professional appearing gear, but the results are not bad.

These lenses are not at their best IQ as I used them, wide open, but I like the resulting look and for portraits, a little softness is often a more pleasing rendition.

I'm looking for a "painterly art" from these lenses, not ultimate sharpness.

Also, these were about a stop under-exposed (corrected in LR3 from RAW captures), which I have found the GH2 doesn't like... the built in metering of my GH2 tends to under-expose by about 1 stop. I've found that if I give the sensor an extra stop over what the meter says (depending on subject matter, of course), the IQ is noticibly improved.

Of course, IQ with both of these lenses improves significantly when shot at f/2, up to f/5.6.
    Last edited by DHart; 29th January 2011 at 19:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I think it's going to work well for me.
    It does indeed

Post Thanks / Like

The downside with the Zeiss is obviously the size and weight. Although it's not a particularly large lens, it's much bigger than either Zuiko, and it feels like it's made out of one massive chunk of glass.
    I couldn't find the size of the Zeiss. How would you compare its size and weight with those of the Nikon 105/1.8, which I had briefly and fund too big for my taste?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both. The Nikkor is slightly larger, but not heavier. Not much anyway. I haven't tried it on the GH1 yet, but have the converter, so I'll give it a go for my next photo excursion. The Zeiss is probably a better allround lens. The Nikkor is at its best at portrait distances at large apertures (2.8 and larger). Stopped down more, these two lenses are so sharp you could cut stone with either.

The best allround telephoto lens for m43 would probably be the Pentax 70mm f/2.4, very compact and sharp all over. But it doesn't have an aperture ring, so can only be used wide open, and I can't really see Pentax joining the party here. That would be fun though; all the Limiteds in m43 mount

There's another candidate also: the Zeiss CY 85mm f/2.8. It's only 230g and apparently sharp as a tack. Seems to sell for $400 or less. I might have to buy one (and another dry cabinet... ). Then there's the Nikkor 105mm f.2.5, a proven performer and available for small monies, even as low as $200.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not able to edit my post above, but I thought I might mention that this is the look of a woman whose son (Sgt. Elijah J. Rao, US Army) was killed in Afghanistan, by IED, a year ago. Google will lead you to much about Elijah. She is only now just starting to emerge, a little bit, back into life. His sudden and extremely violent loss has taken a heavy toll on her.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you buy fish from that woman?
    Karl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Friedel View Post
    Karl
    Looks like someone isn't enjoying her job very much! I would pass on the fish from her.

Post Thanks / Like

Karl
    Those are great! Did she break your camera after that sequence?

Post Thanks / Like

Karl
    Nope! But by the look on her face I'd say the beef must be very good!

Assuming it's actually beef and not the ill-fated customers that went missing the week prior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This picture came out of a misaligned HDR trial, but I like the effect, so I share it with you

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Punts in Cambridge UK, EPL1 and Panny 14/45

Post Thanks / Like

Deckitout... great lines and rich tonality... I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Tokina AT-X 80-400mm f/4.5~5.6, ISO 640, GH1, @ 400mm F/5.6, 50% crops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Simply stunning. Jorgen, your pictures are so beautiful. I always enjoy them a lot. Wish i could go to Asia for a roundtrip ...

Klaus
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Tesselator, the Kingfisher is outstanding.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today's Snowmometer
    Attachment 40010
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Punts in Cambridge

Quote Originally Posted by deckitout View Post
    Punts in Cambridge UK, EPL1 and Panny 14/45
    Brings back a few memories does that.

Very nicely processed, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Tesselator, the Kingfisher is outstanding.

LouisB
    Yes he was.

I invited him inside to take a seat and share a hot chocolate but he only chirped and dove for more fishes. The rude bird, I swear!

hehe... seriously tho, thanks man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photos with the Tokina, Tesselator. Which version of the lens is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Tess

Great images, I envy your manual focus ability

Post Thanks / Like

deckitout,
    Thanks! Simple as turning a tube tho - nothing to it. I'm not special in that regard. I dig those boats too! Is that a digital filter, your WB, or was that the Sun filtering it's light?

Young Master Udvang,
    Thanks, I wish I knew exactly. There are about 4 or 5 versions of it. It's one of the newest two. I think it's the newest one but the newest two look identical when I see pics of them. The person who sold it to me said it was the newest version. <shrug>. I think the only difference between the two newest ones is that the AF speed increased in the newest one. Errr... maybe. Further back I read that the optical formula has indeed been changed/tweaked.

I totally dig your Cambodia Zeiss 85/1.4 shots BTW! Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Ref the boats very little done to that, played a bit in ACR with tonality ect, didn't look anything special at the time but got it home and liked it

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    deckitout,
    Thanks! Simple as turning a tube tho - nothing to it. I'm not special in that regard. I dig those boats too! Is that a digital filter, your WB, or was that the Sun filtering it's light?

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet Bonbon

Sweet surprise

for both the same settings
    Olympus E-5 + Summilux 25mm, no NR
    ISO400 @ f1.4, 1/250 second, 25 mm focal length

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! this is sharp! i mean - Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post

Tokina AT-X 80-400mm f/4.5~5.6, ISO 640, GH1, @ 400mm F/5.6, 50% crops