The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

V

Vivek

Oh, I meant what I said. Here is a portion of the hired photogs/video folks covering the event.

and this is all I can show for the Angenieux 25/0.95. Heavenly voices singing a hymn.

Leica 77

Inspired by Keith (Woodmancy), I decided to photograph the bokeh produced by my Honeywell Pentax Takumar 17mm f4 M42 lens on the G1. ISO 100. The following images were produced: :)

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Inspired by Keith (Woodmancy), I decided to photograph the bokeh produced by my Honeywell Pentax Takumar 17mm f4 M42 lens on the G1. ISO 100. The following images were produced: :)
Hi Leica:
The effect is there, but I fear your lens may be too wide and of too small an aperture to get the best results. I'm going to try a couple of different lenses today on the same subject.
What I learned about the Takumar 50mm was:
F1.4, focus roughly 12 inches from your OOF background (better if the background is a single plane (the ground)) Camera at minimum focus condition.
Post processing helps emphasize the bokeh. Contrast, saturation, mid tone correcting and sharpness (but no image manipulation)

Leica 77

Hi Leica:
The effect is there, but I fear your lens may be too wide and of too small an aperture to get the best results. I'm going to try a couple of different lenses today on the same subject.
What I learned about the Takumar 50mm was:
F1.4, focus roughly 12 inches from your OOF background (better if the background is a single plane (the ground)) Camera at minimum focus condition.
Post processing helps emphasize the bokeh. Contrast, saturation, mid tone correcting and sharpness (but no image manipulation)
Hi My Friend Keith,
Thank you very much for your informative reply. Your Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens has produced outstanding results. I agree with your insights that the Takumar 17mm lens is too wide and, furthermore, the aperture of F4 is another limiting factor. In the near future, I shall try my vintage Zeiss Opton 50mm Sonnar F1.5 with an adapter. I will look for a suitable single plane and shoot at a minimum focus condition as you have recommended. As per your wise suggestion. I will also do some post processing to enhance some aspects of image quality -- contrast, saturation, mid tone correcting and sharpness. All the best! :)

Diane B

The post above with the Nikon mount Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro inspired me to get mine (EF mount) out this morning and try a few with the G1. I had just experimented with it when I got the EOS adaptor, but I find that its quite nice on the G1. Of course you have to change that aperture on an EOS body, but, for now, I can live with that as most of my macro is done on my own farm--with several EOS bodies nearby LOL. I do have other macro choices for the G1--extension tubes on FD lenses being what I've used a bit in the past.

G1/EOS adaptor to m4/rds with Tamron 90 f/2.8
f/10.0 ISO100 1/40s on tripod
It has a bit of oversharpened look due to the little white dolallies on the seedhead, but its only sharpened lighly in Lightroom. Notice that little critter down in the bottom right--very interesting at 100%--not sure what it is.

An echinacea head--just left for the Goldfinches
f/5.6 ISO400 1/320s

And--for good measure, while shooting around yesterday with my huge Sigma EF mount 20 f/1.8 on the G1 (more or less being sure I loved the fast 20 on an m4/3rds).
20mm f/1.8 ISO100 1/800s (handheld)

Keith, I love your bokeh shot above.

Diane

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, I love your bokeh shot above.

Diane
Diane, as usual lovely images. In 2 and 3 you can see the bokeh in there ready to be exploited. I've started to process my images with equal emphasis on in-focus detail as well as OOF.
With OOF I selectively increase saturation, contrast, mid tone sharpening etc. I'm getting more interesting pictures than I used to. But that's only since I have discovered quirky lenses :lecture:

Keith

L

lambretta

My first trials with the EP-1 and the 14-42 kit zoom. Played a bit with the art filters and find it very interesting. Some impressions from Tuscany, Italy with the Grainy Film Filter. Didn't rework on the pictures, just JPG out of the cam.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
My first trials with the EP-1 and the 14-42 kit zoom. Played a bit with the art filters and find it very interesting. Some impressions from Tuscany, Italy with the Grainy Film Filter. Didn't rework on the pictures, just JPG out of the cam.
Great images - wonderful presence

Keith

V

Vivek

Thanks. I think stopped down to f/1.4 or so.

Interestingly, only after buying the Olympus-D 17/2.8, I realized what sort of corner lightening (vignette control) I should apply in the post to get the maximum out of this beast. It covers almost the entire frame but for a tiny corner mechanical vignetting (I think that will also vanish if I change the front element's thick retaining ring to a thinner one).

Another note: There were a team of pro photogs shooting with big EOS cams (the Nikon D90s were used exclusively as video cams)at that event. I just saw a sample from them today. Colors were flat (and unnatural) compared to mine.

Photomorgana

Thanks. I think stopped down to f/1.4 or so.

Interestingly, only after buying the Olympus-D 17/2.8, I realized what sort of corner lightening (vignette control) I should apply in the post to get the maximum out of this beast. It covers almost the entire frame but for a tiny corner mechanical vignetting (I think that will also vanish if I change the front element's thick retaining ring to a thinner one).

Another note: There were a team of pro photogs shooting with big EOS cams (the Nikon D90s were used exclusively as video cams)at that event. I just saw a sample from them today. Colors were flat (and unnatural) compared to mine.

Retaining ring? who needs retaining rings!!! :) Actually it is very interesting theory, I will play around with mine and see what happens.

I know, thats the thing about good cine lenses, they give you true colors, and natural skin tones. Quality control on those lenses was tremendous. No one wants to waste 1000s yards of film just to find out later that colors were crap. (all those lenses had to be matched too, so 25mm and 75mm for example, should produce the same results)

V

Vivek

Caution: I would not touch any rings unless it is the Type M2 Angenieux 25/0.95 (I am yet to do it on mine.. so..)!

Leica 77

Congratulations on your first trials with the EP-1 + Kit Zoom. Your images bring back great memories of my visit to Tuscany a few years ago. Grazie! :)

V

Vivek

Bokih test for the Navitar 75/1.3. What YBH III told me offline about this lens, I find it to be true. Pretty sharp wide open.