The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Joan

Oooh, I am loving all the kitty pictures! :) I have been catless for such a long time (husband has allergies) and miss them for all of their cunning and crazy ways.

Santo, you don't have to worry ... they let me post pictures here and I am the worst photographer on the forum! :eek: :D

M

mschlapfer

Maybe you have failures with Chicadees but you seem to have done an adequate job with this Nuthatch :D

Panasonic DMC-G1 ,Panasonic G 14-140 mm
1/160s f/7.1 at 140.0mm iso400

I have to accept that my Panasonic G1/GH1 are not designed to capture fast moving birds like Chickadee, based on my personal technique and experience, as proved by my own failure.[/QUOTE]

slau

Maybe you have failures with Chicadees but you seem to have done an adequate job with this Nuthatch :D

Panasonic DMC-G1 ,Panasonic G 14-140 mm
1/160s f/7.1 at 140.0mm iso400

I have to accept that my Panasonic G1/GH1 are not designed to capture fast moving birds like Chickadee, based on my personal technique and experience, as proved by my own failure.
[/QUOTE]

That was what I said and that was why I posed an image of a Nuthatch. But, it seems all viewers think the Nuthatch is a Chickadee, and I did not have the heart to correct them :).

slau

A HDR image with Photomatix Pro and 7 bracketed images:

Our downtown with the Canadian Rockies in the background

Both images were shot with GH1 + 14-140 kit lens on tripod.

m_driscoll

A HDR image with Photomatix Pro and 7 bracketed images:

Our downtown with the Canadian Rockies in the background

Both images were shot with GH1 + 14-140 kit lens on tripod.
Stephen,

Beautiful photos and processing. I just had dinner with my niece, her husband, and two boys, who live in Calgary. I told them that I'd been seeing some great photos by a photographer from Calgary. Thanks for posting. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

PeterB666

I do like a nice cat shot. This is Kris. He is very old and doesn't do much. This is as active as he gets unless he is eating and as he is really a furry pig, that doesn't make for a good photo...

Olympus E-P1 with Olympus OM 200mm f/4 at minimum focus distance of 2.5m. An oldie but a goldie.

I

Infrared-IR

My comment on the Panasonic G1:

Is that my Olympus 4/3 cameras are better at clean sharp JPG's but if your willing to work via RAW, the G1 definitely delivers:

Olympus 'new kit' 40~150 lens on the G1 via the Panasonic 4/3->m43 adaptor.

JBurnett

Here are a few shots with EP-1 and various lenses.

VC Nokton 1.1
Leica 35 Lux
Leica 24 Elmarit
Olympus 17 2.8

Bob
Thanks for posting these, Bob. While one can glean a few things about these lenses from your posted pics, I wouldn't mind hearing any impressions you might have. For example, do you see any of the corner smearing that others have mentioned with "wide" m-lenses? Is there any noticeable "haze" to wide-open shots? What's your impression of the Olympus 17?

[Not that I'm going out to buy a 35 Lux anytime soon, you understand :)]

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks for posting these, Bob. While one can glean a few things about these lenses from your posted pics, I wouldn't mind hearing any impressions you might have. For example, do you see any of the corner smearing that others have mentioned with "wide" m-lenses? Is there any noticeable "haze" to wide-open shots? What's your impression of the Olympus 17?

[Not that I'm going out to buy a 35 Lux anytime soon, you understand :)]
John,

You are correct that the wide lenses have a reputation for softness in the corners relating to the 4/3 chip...I trend not to shoot many subjects that in reality would be affected by this. My other systems are locked down on tripod mirrorless or mirrorup when I am looking for absolutely rigid perspective and sharpness corner to corner.

However I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at just how well the M lenses seem to work on the m4/3 system ... the character of the lens does come through as the files handle light and color so well. Almost all of these pictures were taken in marginal light with fairly slow shutter speeds...the in body IS is such a nice feature. I will take some time to try wide open when an opportunity avails with the Lux and the Nokton...I also want to mount this on a monopod to check sharpness with and w/o IS. I really have little work to do in post to make these files presentable. Colors seem very close to what I visualize and while dynamic range may be a bit lacking compared to some sensors I have little problem working with the files. I do tend to be conservative with regards to blowing out highlights.

There is very little haze - I assume that you may be referring to lack of microcontrast - with the Leica lenses. While the VC Nokton is known as a sharp lens with moderate contrast it appears to work very well on this system. I do correct in post for low contrast with vibrance in raw and localized contrast unsharp masking in final with very mild capture sharpening. This is done as an action for the files and I use it for the majority of the Olympus EP-1 captures but it is not an aggressive sharpening.

The Olympus 17 is a nice walk around lens but I believe that the Pan 20 may be a better choice as it is faster and reputedly a bit better corrected. At the moment that lens is very hard to find and I will wait for a month or two before I pick one up.

The EP-1 was a lark for me...I had hesitated selling off my M lenses and took the VC Nokton into the store and was stunned at how easily I could manually focus with the EP-1. Now that I have fine tuned the system to eliminate some of the screens it is very efficient to manually focus...zoom to fine tune capture and return to a screen with cross hairs to correct for horizon and vertical lines.

In short... what a pleasant camera for semi serious stuff. Looks like I can clear out a couple of my small PS's over the next few weeks.

with regards,

Bob