The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Godfrey

Re: Barista

Thanks for the comments!

Hi Godfrey,
I like this and I'm not usually one for selective color. Here it really makes the shot. Was this all (or mostly) done in Lightroom by with the brush tool?
Thanks Terry. This one was rendered entirely in Lightroom (other than the border and annotation, which is automated with a PS script post-export).

Tullio

I agree with both Terry and Brian and would go a step further...crop some of the bottom as well. If fact, I'd say crop more of the bottom than the top. The color you chose worked well with this composition.

Terry

Funny Tullio I just posted about the shot at DPReview when someone said crop it. Here is what I wrote:

"I quite like the dark space at the bottom right because it balances the sign on the top left and they "cancel" each other out leading you back the Barista. If you take out the bottom I think the sign and the Barista compete."

Brian Mosley

I'd either crop a little off the top, or leave it as is... I'm finding the square framing is growing on me - maybe just one of those images you have to spend time to get comfortable with. Not a bad thing.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Reading

Panasonic G1 + Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/6 second

Made this one on Sunday ... I think it was my first exposure with Terry's lens ... and wasn't watching the aperture so it ran too long an exposure.

That said, even with the camera movement flaws, I like the picture. :)

Diane B

The softness really seems appropriate to the image though. I like both this and the barista shot. Her toning seemed to just flow into the mono toning--and I love the toning of both of these (repetitious on that toning LOL--but maybe this way--- her somewhat--to me--desaturated coloring seemed to just flow into the mono toning. And--I do love the warmed mono toning of both of these).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Godfrey,
I like the original barista framing and I love the glow and framing of the second photo. It might not be technically perfect, but it is beautiful.:thumbs:

Godfrey

re: barista & reader

Thanks for all the comments!

Regards the cropping on the barista ... if square was a problem because it seemed too tall, you'd not want to see the original: it was a vertical composition.

While I liked that, it didn't rest my eye as well as it did in the viewfinder, and the square achieved the aesthetic I was after. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: barista & reader

Thanks for all the comments!

Regards the cropping on the barista ... if square was a problem because it seemed too tall, you'd not want to see the original: it was a vertical composition.

While I liked that, it didn't rest my eye as well as it did in the viewfinder, and the square achieved the aesthetic I was after. :)
The horizontal lines that intersect the right edge of the image, form a number of "golden ratios" that would get compromised with cropping.

Lovely image

Keith

f6cvalkyrie

:D:D Anyone for a bike ride with me :confused::confused:

G1 with Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 @ 2.8
Focusstack of 20 images with CombineZM
Enhancement & sepiatoning with PSP Photo X2

C U,
Rafael

slau

First time to walk around with my GH1 & my old Minolta M-Rokkor 40f2 lens. The images with this combination are pretty nice and the little Minolta lens is definitely a keeper on my GH1.

JBurnett

First time to walk around with my GH1 & my old Minolta M-Rokkor 40f2 lens. The images with this combination are pretty nice and the little Minolta lens is definitely a keeper on my GH1.
It's probably coincidental that the first pics you posted with this lens are B&W. However, I find that the G1, along with this 1970's lens, has me thinking B&W a lot more than I ever did with my Canon DSLR.

Yeah, I know, it's all in my head.