The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

ricseet

Hi Robert, could you please your thoughts about this lens. I am thinking of getting one to go with the GH1 for birding. Can you please provide a link where I can view these birdie images at larger size.
I am interested if it is sharp/detail and does it have a narrow DOF with a nice bokeh?

thank you

ric

Trying out newly-acquired Canon FDn 400mm f/4.5. American Goldfinch, G1, f/8, 1/125, ISO 100.

Tullio

... and my beloved 5D stays at home more and more often...
And eventually you might do what my co-worker did after he bought his GF1...sell it!

Great shots BTW. I actually like the fact that the focused berry is not the upfront one.

Scott G

Thanks Brian! Unfortunately that is the only angle I shot, the background was too busy for any others. I might be in DC again this week, so maybe I'll try for more.

Scott

D

Devon Shaw

Re: Wine Label

The second image is a good starting point. I think cropping it to give more importance to the building will at the same time remove too much of the trees either side which at the moment seem to engulf it and also eliminate some foreground and sky which in excess does nothing to the image. Also as the label will be on a curved surface (the bottle) it is most important to have all lines parallel so in cropping make sure of this. The actual black and white/HDR work is very pleasing and adds the timeless feeling which vineyards invoke.
Another shot of the same idea would be advisable to get the building perfectly centered with regard to the lamp posts and a little closer at the same time to remove said trees and get more lettering in from the façade, the converging verticals you'll get can easily be corrected in PP. But that's just me.:D
Thanks for the input Michael,
if the committee likes it there is a good chance I will end up reshooting it with your composition tips in mind. I am actually going to have to clone out the lettering on the facade since we're supposed to have a design that represents the high school without actually showing the name or any of the students...
-Devon

jonoslack

Played around with various different crops of this shot. I decided that this one might be more interesting than the one I posted as my picture of the day. Link below.....

I love it when there is a low ribbon of fog on the bay. Also loving the view from my new apartment :D
Wonderful Terry . . . even if it isn't from your bathroom window!

Terry

Thanks Jono,
I went out to play around with some night shooting on the street. As I pulled into a parking spot at the marina I noticed that my headlights gave some great illumination on the boats....

scho

Thanks Jono,
I went out to play around with some night shooting on the street. As I pulled into a parking spot at the marina I noticed that my headlights gave some great illumination on the boats....

Nice shot Terry and interesting way of lighting the scene. I remember doing something similar many years ago when I was still shooting film. Set the camera to bulb on a tripod and walked around the dock lighting the boats by popping a hand held flash.

Helena

Thanks! :)

And eventually you might do what my co-worker did after he bought his GF1...sell it!

Great shots BTW. I actually like the fact that the focused berry is not the upfront one.
Thank you! Wow, he sold his 5D? I'm not quite ready to do that (it's still my favourite camera to use), but G1 is mighty impressive and so small and light. We'll see what happens - I have only had the G1 for five weeks.

Love this shot!
Thank you!

I really like this series, especially #2. Great work.

m3photo

Re: Input

I am actually going to have to clone out the lettering on the facade since we're supposed to have a design that represents the high school without actually showing the name or any of the students...
-Devon
You're most welcome. I'd always use a tripod for this type of work and if need be, use ND filters to blur out any "stray" students, it's easier than having to choose the quiet times of the day that coincide with the light you want or getting those "uncooperative" folk to move the "hell outta the way" ;)

scho

Steamboat Landing. G1+Lumix 7-14 f/4. Had to do a little dodging, both when taking the picture :ROTFL: and in post processing.

Terry

Carl,
I like the shot and the more work I see from the 7-14 the more I love it. I think us m4/3 go ultra wide more often because it is one of the few ultrawide lenses that isn't a pain to carry and keep in the bag.

Helena

Nice photo! I think would have liked it even more without the cone though.

Yes, the 7-14 is very tempting! Especially since I don't have anything wider than 24mm for my 5D, and my plan is to avoid overlap as much as possible and still have two very usable kits by themselves.

My favorites for 5D are 24/1.4, 50/1.2 and 100/2 (I'll sell 450D and two older lenses, but keep the 70-200/4IS). I'm thinking that G1, 7-14, 20/1.7 and maybe the 45/2.8 macro would go really well with the Canon kit. 7-14 will give me more width and I'll have a macro which I don't now.

scho

Thanks Terry and Helena. The 7-14 is a sweet little lens and although I don't use it as often as the other lenses in my kit it great to have it there when needed.

The cone was already there so I decided to include it in this shot, but you are probably right that it is a distraction and could easily have been excluded.

Regards,
Carl

scho

Thanks Terry and Helena. The 7-14 is a sweet little lens and although I don't use it as often as the other lenses in my kit it great to have it there when needed.

The cone was already there so I decided to include it in this shot, but you are probably right that it is a distraction and could easily have been excluded.

Regards,
Carl
Another view of the landing from just outside the pavilion.