The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Rick Waldroup

I want to thank everyone for their kind words about the shot. This is a bit of a departure for me, as I am really a pretty much straight-up street shooter. I hardly ever manipulate my photos at all- just normal processing, etc.

However, I started a new project titled, "Dream City", in which I am attempting to manipulate a lot of the shots "in camera". The only real PP work on this was done in Silver Efrx where I toned it and darkened the corners a bit. Other than that, all of the diffusion and soft focus effects were done in camera using a set of home-made diffusion filters. And these are really crude, home-made filters- pieces of frosted plastic I hold up to the front of the lens, pieces of plastic baggies folded over and sometimes punched with holes to get a certain look. On one shot, I used an opaque bottle cap and screwed it on the lens. Sometimes, I am even slightly jerking the camera during exposure to get a blurred, diffused look. I tried the old trick of smearing vaseline on a filter, but did not like the look, so I started looking around the house for material I could make filters out of.

You can see more of the shots here http://rickwaldroup.zenfolio.com/p605287827?customize=1

I am in the process of moving my shots to a new website, so this site is still under construction, so excuse the lack of photos and content to this new website.

Thanks once again to everyone.

m3photo

Re: Very Cold Day

Mike, I think you overdid lifting the shadows just a little...
Actually, for me it emphasizes the impression of a very dry cold day, the far bank's lightness helps evoke such a feeling; the biting air leaving its icy mark in every nook and cranny where the sun cannot compete.

DHart

Re: Very Cold Day

Actually, for me it emphasizes the impression of a very dry cold day, the far bank's lightness helps evoke such a feeling; the biting air leaving its icy mark in every nook and cranny where the sun cannot compete.
I agree... in person, the eye would see detail in the shadows there, so lifting them brings the image closer to the eye's actual perception. I agree with you too, Brian, I think slightly less lifting of the shadows would be nice as well.

Of course, there's no right nor wrong to any of this... just different viewpoints. For most who make images for the love of it, I believe the best rendition is that which meets the vision of the maker, even if it isn't pleasing to others... because pleasing others is never fully successful.

Brian Mosley

I agree DHart,

it's always good to get another perspective - a good reason to post imho, but the final decision and measure of success (unless you're shooting for a customer) must rest with the photographer.

Cheers

Brian

D

Devon Shaw

Rafael, I really like the swirling surreal feel to your first in the dark forest shot.

D

Devon Shaw

Went elevator hunting in The City yesterday..
First two are with the 17mm and last is with an FD 50mm f/1.4,

f6cvalkyrie

Indoor fun today, as we have very dull weather and smog alert around Brussels :mad::mad:

G1 with Micro-Nikkor 200 f4 IF @ iso 200 f16 ca 2sec

CU,
Rafael

D

Devon Shaw

that last one is just plain cool!!!
Thanks to both of you.
I really love that elevator.
It's in the parking garage at SF State and it is really just the creepiest thing...

Here is that same shot but cropped to show the whole frame.. I think I might prefer it more this way if I print it big.

apicius9

Playing around with the 'new' Contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.4, wide open, minimal PP (jpgs in Picasa). Handles very nicely, I think I like this lens :)

Stefan

monza

Stefan, when you say 'new' do you mean literally new, or new to you? :) I.e., is it a Contax/Yashica 50/1.4 Planar or one of the newer ZE/ZF style?

apicius9

Robert, just new to me, it's the C/Y Planar. I wanted a good manual 50mm that is a bit faster than my Summicron and kept coming back to this one, found a nice copy on ebay.

Stefan

monza

Nice. :) I went for the 50/1.7, and also have the 28/2.8 Distagon and 85/2.8 Sonnar in C/Y. Super lenses, great on Canon, micro 4/3, and of course, film, which I still prefer.

roanjoh

A few to share from the big snowstorm we've been getting here in the east coast (NYC to be more specific). Braved the cold with my umbrella / GF1 and the wonderful 20 pancake!! This lens is amazing and can resolve tons of detail even wide open. I think the m/43rd sensor just excels on muted colors with not a lot of harsh contrast - it creates such beautiful tones to the images.

Roan :)