The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

J

johnnyhonk

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been watching from afar for about a month now. I have to say that many of you are very talented photographers and so inspired I am by some of your photos that I decided to ditch my old Nikon D70 (which I don't think ever left the Auto Mode) and buy the GF1 with 20mm and the 45-200mm.

So to showcase my lack of talent :) I figured I'd post a couple of shots, that way I have documented proof of my early efforts and later on, it'll be cool to look back on how I've progressed. Ok, so that's the plan anyway :)

These were taken with the Pana GF1 20mm

Since every night shot I've ever done was blurry (not to mention setting that switch to Manual), I was pretty happy with them. No PP done on these yet, still trying to learn how to take a better photograph first :)

Anyway, hello again and thanks for the inspiration.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Johnnyhonk - 2 lovely images, welcome to M43

Leica - you are doing some really good stuff with Flexify. I haven't found the time to try it yet. Perhaps on my cruise :)

Keith

D

Devon Shaw

Not quite a Pelican...
I put this together over the summer to hold my E-P1 with 14-42 and 17mm... I meant to make a little drawer with more nicely cut foam but my lens collection started expanding beyond the size of that box and I never got around to it..

Godfrey

... Wander

Panasonic G1 + Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4 TV
ISO 100 @ ~ f/4 @ 1/25 second

comments always appreciated, thanks for looking.

Godfrey

... Not quite a Pelican...
My gosh, that's the slide storage case that I have all those Stereo Realist slides that my father took on his honeymoon stored in! I haven't seen anyone else with them in 35 years!

Be careful what kind of shock absorbent foam you use. Most of the open cell foam linings are urethane which slowly outgas and degrade, coating optics and internal mechanisms with a not easily removed sticky film. I would strongly suggest buying "pluck to fit" closed cell foam liners from Pelican or other photographic equipment suppliers ... It doesn't degrade or outgas, and is very configurable to whatever shape/size box you want to use as well as to the equipment.

Leica 77

Leica - you are doing some really good stuff with Flexify. I haven't found the time to try it yet. Perhaps on my cruise :)

Keith
Hi Keith,
Many thanks for your kind comments. You must be excited about your upcoming cruise across the Atlantic! Best regards, Leica 77. :)

D

Devon Shaw

My gosh, that's the slide storage case that I have all those Stereo Realist slides that my father took on his honeymoon stored in! I haven't seen anyone else with them in 35 years!

Be careful what kind of shock absorbent foam you use. Most of the open cell foam linings are urethane which slowly outgas and degrade, coating optics and internal mechanisms with a not easily removed sticky film. I would strongly suggest buying "pluck to fit" closed cell foam liners from Pelican or other photographic equipment suppliers ... It doesn't degrade or outgas, and is very configurable to whatever shape/size box you want to use as well as to the equipment.
Oh I had been trying to figure out what that case was originally for. Found it at a garage sale.

As far as my foam choice at the time, I looked into "pluck to fit" foam and other options to purchase but they all seemed rather expensive and having just bought my camera I was broke and so went with the free option of using some foam I had lying around. If I decide to revisit the project though I will be sure to make sure the foam I use won't damage my equipment.

Right now I'm using a canvas bag (similar to those sold by Domke) I found at a military surplus store along with various smaller padded bags to hold individual components within the larger bag. It works pretty well.

Thanks for the useful info!

-Devon

Godfrey

Oh I had been trying to figure out what that case was originally for. Found it at a garage sale. ...
Glad to help.

I've a soft spot for these old cases, always thought they were clever and nicely done. The rails on the sides held in place trays that contain the Stereo Realist slides (two up pairs of stereo transparencies, about 24mm square). If you find you want to toss the case, give me a holler. :)

Tullio

Excellent work everyone. Too much of good stuff to comment individually. John, no need to be so humble!!! Great night shots!