The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

jminor

Thank you for the kind comments JayCee & biglouis. I took a "Walk to Work" on your Flickr page biglouis. Very nice, also enjoyed wandering out in the Fields as well....
John

biglouis

Dan, a couple of nice pictures - especially the Bond.

John, looking at that landscape picture #2, I could almost imagine myself in Hampshire or Sussex in the old country.

Here are a couple of landscapes shot with the GF-1 and my Elmarit 90/2.8.

In fact, I am not so impressed with the results of using my Leica or Voigtlander lenses on the GF-1. In terms of colour, contrast and indeed sharpness (and I do know how to focus a manual lens) it surprises me that the results from the m4/3rds lens by Panasonic are on the whole better.

It could be my Voigtlander bayonet mount - or as I suspect, the tolerances for correct focus/mounting are just not that exact when using a m-bayonet adaptor.

m3photo

Re: Lens Qualities

In fact, I am not so impressed with the results of using my Leica or Voigtlander lenses on the GF-1. In terms of colour, contrast and indeed sharpness (and I do know how to focus a manual lens) it surprises me that the results from the m4/3rds lens by Panasonic are on the whole better.
I agree. Whatever goes on between the camera and its own lenses certainly delivers the goods. Done the usual test/comparisons and if I want edge to edge consistency I have to go for the original Panasonic lens. Shame they don't do more fixed focals ...

biglouis

Re: Lens Qualities

I agree. Whatever goes on between the camera and its own lenses certainly delivers the goods. Done the usual test/comparisons and if I want edge to edge consistency I have to go for the original Panasonic lens. Shame they don't do more fixed focals ...
Glad to find out there is someone else with a similar experience. I also think it depends on the distance of the subject. I have had good results with the CV 50/1.5 for some unknown reason but longer or shorter focal lengths are not impressive at all, including trying my stellar Leica 35-lux-asph.

Here's hoping about some more primes - 4/3rds rumours abounds with tantalising news of possible Panasonic primes. I'm hoping that perhaps Leica might relent and allow a m4/3rds prime like the 45/2.8

LouisB

DavidL

"This sky too is folding under you"
G1, bought it for the colour (Blue)
kit lens and stitched, maybe a little PS

Last edited:

biglouis

Michiel - lovely colours and sharpness. Good composition and presentation. Well done.

One from earlier today, re-emphasising what a great lens the 20/1.7 is (on the GF-1 in this case). f2, iso160.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Louis!

Your photo with the 20mm is very good. It is still on my wishlist.
Lovely colors and paintwork!

You are right as you mentioned earlyer that the M4/3 lenses produce the most sharpness and are very well corrected.
Still though there are many old manual lenses with wich I am capable to take photographs, I cannot make with the standard lenses.

Here is another one from a few days ago on the Normandy coast near Dieppe with the G1 + kitlens.

- Puy -

Leica 77

Michiel - lovely colours and sharpness. Good composition and presentation. Well done.
One from earlier today, re-emphasising what a great lens the 20/1.7 is (on the GF-1 in this case). f2, iso160.
Hi Louis,
The colors are incredibly rich in this wonderful capture! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::)

biglouis

Thanks Leica77 and Michiel. I bought the Gf-1 with the immensley portable 20/1.7 so that I could always carry a camera. This is an example of an opportunistic shot I wouldn't have been able to take otherwise.

LouisB