The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Leica 77

GH2 w/ Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Nokton Aspherical @ f/1.2, ISO 320

Moved the partay inside... GH2 w/ Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Nokton Aspherical @ f/1.2
GH2 w/ Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Nokton Aspherical @ f/1.2, ISO 320
I love this lens! Wonderful damped focusing mechanism.

Hi Don,
These are lovely portraits! Best, :)

DHart

Thank you very much for your comments! I feel fortunate to be able to work with these cool camera and lenses. I look forward to doing much more with this gear as the year moves along. Life is very good. And image-making is such a wonderful pursuit. My best to you all, fellow life passengers and image-makers!

DHart

Thank you, Jorgen! I have not spent much time yet with the 35mm f/1.2 Nokton (nor any of my new legacy primes), but so far, I'm really impressed with it. 70mm f/1.2 (35mm camera effective) is really a sweet spot for the painterly-style portrait work I like to do. Certainly, build quality is very high, focus damping and amount of focus ring turning is wonderful. I'm really looking forward to more use with it as I get more active this season. I have relied solely on the 5D and 5DMkII with the 70-200 f/2.8L shot @ f/2.8 for a number of years for my professional portrait work, but this year, I am going to give a go to using the GH2 and my fast Planar and Nokton primes for some of my professional portrait work. I'm excited to begin trying that kit. I include a 12"x17" framed ArtPrint with nearly every portrait package that I sell and I think the GH2 may be able to give me pro quality images at that size. We shall see if this little kit can rival my well-proven 5DMkII and 70-200/2.8L kit.

Tesselator

The 45 macro as a landscape lens

exif | large
Beautiful image! How do you like the 45? Would you say that DPReview's assessment (below) was generally correct or generally incorrect?

• Sharpness
    Central sharpness is very high wide open, but the corners are notably softer. This pattern persists on stopping down; the highest central sharpness is achieved around F5, with the corners continuing to sharpen up until F8. As is often the case for Four Thirds, the optimum aperture is about F6.3. Diffraction starts to degrade the image significantly at apertures of F11 and smaller, with F16-F22 very soft indeed.

• Chromatic Aberration
    Lateral chromatic aberration is being removed in software so is negligible in these tests. Uncorrected it's very low too.

• Falloff
    We consider falloff to start becoming noticeable when the corner illumination falls to more than 1 stop below the center. There's 1.3 stops wide open here, which disappears rapidly on stopping down.

• Distortion
    The 45mm macro is near-perfectly corrected for rectilinear distortion, with just a trivial amount of pincushion distortion detectable.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_45_2p8_o20/page3.asp

marlof

Beautiful image! How do you like the 45? Would you say that DPReview's assessment (below) was generally correct or generally incorrect?
Thanks. I like the 45 a lot. I usually carry two camera bodies (e-p1 and e-p2), each with a lens fitted, usually the 20 and the 45. Both aren't speed demons in the AF department, but fast enough for my limited needs. Don't turn to me for judging lens quality: I don't test, I just use. All I know is that where I (a not too critical user) noticed corner softness in some focal ranges of the Olympus 14-150, I never particularly noticed this in the 20 or 45.

Godfrey

Communicating #12

Olympus E-5 + ZD 50mm f/2 Macro
ISO 1250 @ f/3.2 @ 1/100 second

thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

turbines

Here is another lens trial made with my latest ebay purchase. Vivitar (Komine) Series 1 200m f3.0 @ ~ 3.2, ISO200, manual fill with Metz 48 AF-1, uncropped. This lens is built like a Sherman Tank and weighs about the same. To my eyes these look just a bit soft at this aperture.

Your comments & suggestions are always appreciated

Tesselator

I think they look ok. You're on the wrong side of the Sun each time tho. I mean if you want the crisp hi-def look.

You nailed the focus on the second one!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Been away for a few days. Travelled on cars, a train, buses, motorbikes, bicycles, my feet and a couple of vehicles that are beyond description. Here's from one of the early stages, the train ride to the Cambodian border.

GH1 with Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4. Jpeg out of the camera with slight curve adjustment in PS.

It's so much fun riding on 3rd class. New friends everywhere :D

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro. Jpeg out of the camera with curve adjustments in PS.

Godfrey

Been away for a few days. Travelled on cars, a train, buses, motorbikes, bicycles, my feet and a couple of vehicles that are beyond description. Here's from one of the early stages, the train ride to the Cambodian border.

GH1 with Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4. Jpeg out of the camera with slight curve adjustment in PS.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/9/gogreen.jpg
Nice, look forward to seeing more photos.

I see this one is using the Zeiss 85/1.4 lens adapted to the GH1. After shooting a few days with the 50+EC14 on the E-5 (70mm f/2.8), I came to the decision that I'd like just a little more reach and speed too. My choice was a pre-AI Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 .. a lens I loved way back in the '60s/'70s when I was shooting with the Nikon F Photomic FTn. It will be interesting to see how this lens does on a FourThirds digital sensor ...! :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice, look forward to seeing more photos.

I see this one is using the Zeiss 85/1.4 lens adapted to the GH1. After shooting a few days with the 50+EC14 on the E-5 (70mm f/2.8), I came to the decision that I'd like just a little more reach and speed too. My choice was a pre-AI Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 .. a lens I loved way back in the '60s/'70s when I was shooting with the Nikon F Photomic FTn. It will be interesting to see how this lens does on a FourThirds digital sensor ...! :)
Godfrey,
I will probably add the Zeiss CY 85mm f/2.8 for travel. I mostly shoot between f/2.8 and 8.0, and the smaller Zeiss seems to be incredibly sharp and is very compact. Not expensive at all. 85mm on 4/3 corresponds more or less to the classic 180mm on full frame, but with a saving in weight and size that make these lenses fabulous for travel.