The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So, I was sitting at a cozy, little café at the shores of Mekong River early this morning, having breakfast, when I was approached by an armada of children, trying to sell me all kinds of stuff that I neither need nor want. They need the money, of course, but saving all street children in Cambodia is far beyond my means.

One of them was particularly persistent though, so I offered her 500 Riel if I could take her photo. 500 Riel is around $0.12, not much, but it will buy her some food at the market. She doesn't look too happy with the deal, does she? Still, I got my photo and she got some money. Can't be all bad.

GH1 in Xpan-mode with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro

Godfrey

I will probably add the Zeiss CY 85mm f/2.8 for travel. I mostly shoot between f/2.8 and 8.0, and the smaller Zeiss seems to be incredibly sharp and is very compact. Not expensive at all. 85mm on 4/3 corresponds more or less to the classic 180mm on full frame, but with a saving in weight and size that make these lenses fabulous for travel.
Looking at the two Zeiss lenses and at the Nikkor I've ordered, I think the Nikkor is right between them in size/weight/etc. Hopefully it will work as well on the digital sensor as it did on film ... it was a wonderful lens when I did portraits when I owned it. That mix of speed and FoV for FourThirds is exactly what I'm after.

Yes, somewhere between f/4 and f/8 is my normal range for lenses at this length too, but it's darn nice to have f/2 available when the light gets dim. :)

usw
Godfrey

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice series, Godfrey. Some of them, those that involve computers, are a bit scary though. Are some people losing the ability to communicate without the help of electronic devices?

On the other hand, maybe they were never able to in the first place, so that doing it through small plastic things is actually progress...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: Communicating #17

Olympus E-5 + ZD 50mm f/2 Macro
ISO 640 @ f/4 @ 1/100 second

Yet another in my "Communicating" set. To view the whole set in a slideshow, 17 photos at present, here's a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/sets/72157625844414410/show/
flickr.com's set slide show requires flash. if you have aproblem with it, just remove the "show/" at the end of the link.

enjoy
Great shots Godfrey!

I see that the 2/50 is one of your preferred lenses :)

Godfrey

Re: Communicating #17

Thanks Jorgen and Peter!

Great shots Godfrey!
I see that the 2/50 is one of your preferred lenses :)
These four lenses (11-22, 25, 35 and 50 Macro) along with the EC14 comprise my primary kit, so I guess you can say that. I've sold the other FourThirds lenses I had that I wasn't using enough to warrant keeping.

The 50/2 Macro is a marvelous lens. :)

I also own the ZD 25/2.8, a Konica 40/1.8 and have ordered a Nikkor 85/1.8. Don't know how well the Nikkor will work out yet, I hope it does well. The other two are more 'occasional use' and most of the time just stick with the E-1 body as a compact grab'n'go kit.

DHart

Godfrey... I think your soon to arrive Nikkor 85/1.8 will be a good addition. Pretty darn fast and still fairly small and lightweight.

When shooting that focal length and not wanting super shallow DOF, shooting at 5.6 to 11, I much prefer the auto focus and IS benefits of the various native lenses which give super sharp results.

But for that shallow DOF portrait work and such, the fast legacy primes reign supreme. I have the Carl Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 which I love, but it is a relatively heavy hunk of gorgeous glass. The 85/1.8 is a good compromise in weight and cost.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Good photos from Frankfurt, Friedel.

Here's something for those who would like to avoid the large tourist crowds. In northwestern Cambodia, 40 kilometers on dirt roads from the nearest town, Sisophon, are the ruins of the 700 years old temple Banteay Chhmar. It's a fascinating place, originally as big as Angkor Wat, but destroyed by wars and looted countless times. When I was there last last Saturday, there were no other people except the staff working on restoration. According to the guest book, a German couple had been there the day before, and somebody else a few days before that.

Interesting place with a fascinating history, and only the walk through those 700 year old corridors gives a special feeling.

GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 14mm and f/8

Last edited:

DHart

Friedel.... very striking, vivid images of the city... great compositions and juxtapositions of style and color. Wow.

Jorgen... wouldn't it be amazing to be able to see that when it was just built and in it's prime. Amazing to visit such old worlds.

kweide

Hi Godfrey, you lucky one. Policeofficers do not like being photographed..... did they arrest you ??? Or did you do this stunning pic underhand ??? Bobble hat pulled down over your face just two holes for the eyes ?? LOL :)

KLaus

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, you lucky one. Policeofficers do not like being photographed..... did they arrest you ??? Or did you do this stunning pic underhand ??? Bobble hat pulled down over your face just two holes for the eyes ?? LOL :)

KLaus
Thanks KLaus!

They're locals, I see them all the time as they do their shift-breaks at this coffee shop. I was chatting with them a little while before I snapped this photo and showed them some of my other "Communicating" photos. As they walked out, one of them bent over to me and grinned, "Get any good ones of us?"

I told him that probably yeah, I got their ugly mugs and I'll bring 'em all a print if I got anything worth posting. They all laughed and then said, "Sure! We want the prints!"

So I have some printing to do now ... :)

Godfrey

Self-Portrait

Olympus E-5 + Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8
ISO 800 @ f/1.8 @ 1/60 second

I'm pretty jazzed with this nice old lens. It gives me exactly what I remembered from using the Nikkor 180/2.8ED-IF on my Nikon F and F3 so many years ago: Hand-holdable, healthy reach, and still quite compact and reasonably light (much moreso than the 180/2.8 was!).

Lens hood on the way, can't wait go get out shooting with it. :)

kweide

Hair
... done on the fly ...

Olympus E-5 + Summilux 25 f1.4, no NR
ISO 400 @ f6, 1/250 second, 25 mm focal length​

DHart

Leica 77... you are obviously having waaaay too much fun wherever your are! ;) Looks like your model is a stone cold fox. Good to see you are enjoying life so! What's the story around this photo?

Godfrey... the fast 85 is a hoot on m4/3. Amazing portrait lens. I have a Planar 85/1.4 and just love what the lens can do.