The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

DHart

John... that is fantastic... love the OOF and color rendition...got me thinking about getting my first lens baby. Can you explain what the three elements you mentioned are?

JBurnett

John... that is fantastic... love the OOF and color rendition...got me thinking about getting my first lens baby. Can you explain what the three elements you mentioned are?
Thanks, Don. The Tilt-Transformer is the base unit that allows tilting of the lens; it was specially built for the micro-4/3 mount. On the base, one can use the "composer", which is a twist-type focusing unit, along with an optic -- double-glass, single-glass, plastic, and so on. One can also mount a Nikon lens, which means you can tilt that lens (but not shift). Using the composer/optic gives a sweet 'spot' which you can move around the frame by tilting the base. Using a nikon lens gives more of a sweet 'slice' rather than a spot. All these things are explained on the Lensbaby site (http://lensbaby.com/)

I forgot to mention that I also had a +4 close-up lens attached to the front of the composer/optic unit. The subject is actually a small area in a group of Hens & Chicks succulents. Obviously, I left the sweet spot in the centre for this photo.

The Lensbaby is an interesting unit to play with. Many people experiment with it, get bored with it or frustrated by it, and it sits in a drawer. I'm still at the stage of experimenting to learn how best to employ its unique characteristics.

Diane B

Thought I would include one of mine where you can follow the "slice" John mentions using a Nikkor (here I believe I used the Nikkor 35/2), mount it on the tilt 'base' and use it as a tilt lens. On this one I think you can see the slice where I wanted to include Marilyn's face as well as the plate on the bench (large series of benches painted by artists around town) so tilted at an angle, chose my focus and then find tuned until I got it as I wanted. This was my first foray with the Nikkors instead of using what they call Front Focus which mounts instead of the Nikkor lens and basically converts it to a Composer but with a wider FOV (40mm instead of the Composer's 50mm).

Last edited:

Diane B

I've used these before to show the difference between using the Front Focus mounted on Tilt Transformer making it essentially a LB Composer and a Nikkor (36/2) mounted to make it a tilt lens. The top was taken with the TT/FF with 2.8 disc aperture and bottom taken with 35/2 at f/2 which creates a slice of focus but no distortion.

I can also use the tilt much as I use my Canon tilt shift stopping it down to increase the focus wedge and then tilting to and refining the tilt until I get it as I want. Having a liveview EVF makes that easier the more I work with it. However, i'm guessing I will use it more to do selective focus than to increase the perception of DOF as I do with Canon TS on Canon body.

Diane

W

wbrandsma

After long consideration I decided to get myself the GF1 with the pancake 20. It will form a nice companion to my GRDIII.

DHart

Great. Thanks John for the explanation and Diane for the examples... I can see how one might make some images with the gear and then not use it much. But when the desire for the effect strikes... It would be nice to be able to create it.

theflyer

the thing that really jumps out at me with this thread is how much, and how often, people seem to use their m4/3 cameras. i guess that's part of their appeal, especially for those of us who are venturing away from DSLR's, this idea of convenience and the smaller form factor of a mirrorless system.

here are a few shots taken with the basic GF1/20 1.7 setup.