The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

pjphoto59

Glen, that is a gorgeous capture and well composed/framed.

Gives me time to look at that bridge and ponder the question: is it vastly over-engineered for the load it is carrying?

LouisB
What a super picture of a famous landmark! Well done indeed.

I am a retired Chartered Engineer and I am in two minds about "over engineered" it has stood the test of time well having been completed in 1889.

It is on the rail route north of Edinburgh on which there are two wide water crossings this one, the Forth and the other the Tay further North. The Tay bridge was built first but suffered a terrible disaster in 1879 when a section of the bridge, with a train in it, fell into the sea in high winds with many lives lost. The engineer for the Tay bridge was Sir Thomas Bouch and the official enquiry found him to blame.

Bouch was at that time working on a design for the Forth bridge very much lighter than the one that was actually built.

Following the Tay Bridge accident in which wind load played a major part, the Forth bridge was designed to rather conservative wind loadings.

I recall comparing the design wind loads of North Sea Oil structures I was working on ithe 1970's with those used on the Forth Bridge and those on the bridge were indeed higher.

So with the benefit of hind sight maybe it was "over-engineered" but I think with the knowledge and circumstances of the time the designers did a good prudent job.

kweide

The way into death
I can hear the audience shouting with greedy demand for blood. I can see them , Gladiators, walking down this ways, not knowing whether they survive or not ...

Olympus E-3, Zuiko 11-22, noNR
ISO800 @ f4.5, 1/20 second, 18 mm focal length​

Hauxon

Here's one aerial shot from my flights this summer. It's Rauðasandur beach in the Westfjords, Iceland.

Olympus E-P1 and M.Zuiko ED 9-18mm @ 17mm and f/5.6

Hrannar

les

What a super picture of a famous landmark! Well done indeed.

I am a retired Chartered Engineer and I am in two minds about "over engineered" it has stood the test of time well having been completed in 1889.

It is on the rail route north of Edinburgh on which there are two wide water crossings this one, the Forth and the other the Tay further North. The Tay bridge was built first but suffered a terrible disaster in 1879 when a section of the bridge, with a train in it, fell into the sea in high winds with many lives lost. The engineer for the Tay bridge was Sir Thomas Bouch and the official enquiry found him to blame.

Bouch was at that time working on a design for the Forth bridge very much lighter than the one that was actually built.

Following the Tay Bridge accident in which wind load played a major part, the Forth bridge was designed to rather conservative wind loadings.

I recall comparing the design wind loads of North Sea Oil structures I was working on ithe 1970's with those used on the Forth Bridge and those on the bridge were indeed higher.

So with the benefit of hind sight maybe it was "over-engineered" but I think with the knowledge and circumstances of the time the designers did a good prudent job.
As an addendum to the above interesting details, I'd like to also suggest that the Victorian Engineers knew what they were doing with the Bridge - it's stood the test of time. Compare that with the road bridge built at the same location in the 1960's - it's having to be strengthened and be complemented by a second road bridge - to assume much of the traffic load. (Which maybe reflects badly on modern day tendering processes).
Naturally most photographers follow Glenn's lead and photograph the more interesting classic rail bridge. Great shot Glenn.

Glenn

As an addendum to the above interesting details, I'd like to also suggest that the Victorian Engineers knew what they were doing with the Bridge - it's stood the test of time. Compare that with the road bridge built at the same location in the 1960's - it's having to be strengthened and be complemented by a second road bridge - to assume much of the traffic load. (Which maybe reflects badly on modern day tendering processes).
Naturally most photographers follow Glenn's lead and photograph the more interesting classic rail bridge. Great shot Glenn.
Thanks to all for your comments and information. For those not familiar with the bridge, here is a shot that put it into context

Hauxon

retow I've never seen a bird at this altitude and I fly all summer at 10000 feet shooting aerial images for mapping. Composite?

I like the yellow toned image (center).

retow

retow I've never seen a bird at this altitude and I fly all summer at 10000 feet shooting aerial images for mapping. Composite?

I like the yellow toned image (center).
These are Alpine Choughs, they live up to 12000 feet, spectacular air artists. No no composites at all!:)

Last edited:

kweide

Sometimes
laugh is all we can do. Can live with that ...

Olympus E-5 + Zuiko 12-60SWD, noNR
ISO640 @ f4, 1/125 second, 20 mm focal length​