The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Tesselator

With my latests Toys:

The Tamron SP 500mm F/8 (55BB) Tele-macro - and - The Contax Zeiss MP 100/2.8 - and - The Contax Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8

<------------------------------------------ Tamron SP 500mm F/8 (55BB) Tele-macro ---------------------------------------->

<--------------------------------------------- The Contax Zeiss MP 100/2.8 ------------------------------------->

<----------------------------------------- The Contax Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8 ----------------------------------------->

Last edited:

turbines

WOW!

Tess I am always amazed at the crispness of your images. All of these are just lovely examples of what can be achieved I am especially impressed with the close ups you've made with the 500. Did you use your monster tripod? I recently sold a Canon 500; it was not nearly that sharp.

Paul

Tesselator

WOW!

Tess I am always amazed at the crispness of your images. All of these are just lovely examples of what can be achieved I am especially impressed with the close ups you've made with the 500. Did you use your monster tripod? I recently sold a Canon 500; it was not nearly that sharp.

Paul
Thanks Paul,

I think they're only "always crisp" because i don't post images from soft lenses - even tho I have or have had, many - like the uber-soft Lumix 100-300 for example. The images from such might be OK for my personal album but if I don't think the lens is exceptional in some way I don't wanna post the images. Just me I guess.

On the 500 shots the first one is hand-held and the other two are on a monopod (well, a walking stick that I drilled a mounting bolt into :D) and were taken indoors in a dark greenhouse. The fern thingy is 1/2s. and the cacti flower is 1/3s both at ISO 100. (Maybe if a get a GH2 I'll become brave enough to use ISO 400 in low-light?). The flower one is 1/2000, outdoors, and I think ISO 320.

I've found that in both situations at first I needed to take about 4 to 6 shots to make certain I got at least one keeper - or wait for the display to zoom for an eye-check. Now a few hundred shots later, two usually does the trick. The DOF of 500/8 is so shallow that there's only a few inches of DOF at 20 to 25 feet away and only a few millimeters at 1.7m - it's MFD (see below). So after zoom assisted focusing any body wobbles throw everything out of the intended focal plane. Also it was a little tough to maintain framing at first too. The focus barrel on this puppy is so smooth that even a light touch may rotate it so there's really no way to support/steady it by placing a hand on the lens barrel like usual. I think the ideal way to shoot this (and many other 500mm lenses) is with one of those rifle pods... err, rifle-mounts... whatever they's called... err, I guess bushhawk or the $25 one from cowboystudio.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhJ-m3-Qa0 - when a tripod won't do I mean...

Michiel Schierbeek

Some more from Venice.

First one is in the Galleria dell' Academia and the second is in the hystericly designed lunchroom of the Biennale.

Michiel

Tesselator

Michiel Schierbeek

Tesselator, thank you. What special sort of lamp are we looking at?

Jorgen, Thank you too.:)

First one is early morning traffic of Venice going downtown to work.

Michiel

Tesselator

Oooo, The Natty Greene's shot rocks!

Tesselator, thank you. What special sort of lamp are we looking at?
It's a UV-C germicidal/fungicidal tube I'm using in a lens treatment tent-like thingy I built. So after I work on a lens I use this for surface cleaning during reassembly. That way when I sell a lens I worked on I can be reasonably sure the customer won't catch a case of fungus for a good long while - I mean unless they drop it in the mud or something. :)

Here's the moon

shot with the Tamron 500mm F/8 (55BB) hand-held 1/125s, 100 ISO​

Last edited: