The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

GerryM

Trekkers
New arrivals to Newport, Richard (on the left) and BeanieBoo. From Asheville, NC to Newport, OR in 8 months. On foot & feets :bugeyes:. Lunch break in the Fishermen's Memorial at Newport, OR.
G1/ 14-42

First post, so hope this goes smoothly.
Gerry

A click gets a bigger image.

Tesselator

Here's a shot of my friend taken a little less than one inch from his face at f/11. I used the GH1's flash with some tish over it to diffuse it a little. I think you can see the tish in the reflection of the monitor glass behind my little buddy there - dang glossy surfaced monitors!

After Cropping

Before Cropping

Jerry_R

Hello again,
for many weeks I was not following the forum due to lack of time :(
But am back and continue showing some of my photos, below is continuation from May 2010 :)

G1, 45mm f/2.8 @2.8

G1, 45mm f/2.8 @3.2

Jerry_R

Nice photo Piter, nice view, nice weather :)

May 2010

G1, 45mm f/2.8 @ 2.8

GF1, 20mm f/.1.7 @ 1.7

Last edited:

Tesselator

13 Images - No Processing

71 Images (after cropping and so forth more like 64 images) - Processing was only Healing Brush to fill a hole. :p

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
@Tesselator: Are you stitching shots taken manually using PS CS5 or are you using something like a Gigapan to capture the source images?

Tesselator

AutoPanaGiga from the RAW files and then just crop them myself (if the software doesn't do it right) resize and save.

It does actually create a global histogram and applies those curves before saving but I use manual everything on the camera so it's not too crazy.

For the 1st one I used "Best For Reduction" when scaling and for the second one I used "Best For Smooth Gradients" as anything else produced too much noisy sharpness.

Why do you ask?

GrahamWelland

Just curious since you don't include any information about what you used to create images from so many exposures. That's a lot of shots for this type of scene and a small image on the forum doesn't explain or show things at all. I have a Gigapan Epic Pro that I've just been testing with my E-P3 and so was interested if you were shooting with a similar device or manually shooting the frames with a pano tripod kit etc etc.

Tesselator

Ah, kewl! Yeah I wanna use a gigapan too! But I haven't found one used that I can afford. They seem so cool!

These were all hand-held. I use the grid overlay and line up the cross-points from shot to shot for overlap and alignment. It takes a little mental concentration but not much more than something like adding numbers in my head.

If the current feature sets of cameras continues to expand and mature soon all we'll need to do is wave our cameras around like wild-men and it'll automatically create the panos for us - and additionally tell us where to point it to fill in any gaps we may have missed too. What, 3 to 5 years sound about right? :)

GrahamWelland

Ah, kewl! Yeah I wanna use a gigapan too! But I haven't found one used that I can afford. They seem so cool!

These were all hand-held. I use the grid overlay and line up the cross-points from shot to shot for overlap and alignment. It takes a little mental concentration but not much more than something like adding numbers in my head.

If the current feature sets of cameras continues to expand and mature soon all we'll need to do is wave our cameras around like wild-men and it'll automatically create the panos for us - and additionally tell us where to point it to fill in any gaps we may have missed too. What, 3 to 5 years sound about right? :)
Well we're already getting there with the sweep pano features where you specify how wide a pano you want, click the shutter and smoothly move until the camera stops taking pics. My Fuji X100 has that feature although I confess that I've never used it. It seems like the iPhone apps are driving this capability into real cameras.

Btw, the Gigapan Epic Pro works excellently especially if you want HDR stitched shots. It's just not very portable! The smaller version that presses the shutter button is smaller and lighter.

Tesselator

Yeah I've done a few HDR panos and they can be a bit exhausting for the big ones. Even medium ones really: Eight by five by five exposure brackets deep. heh! :)

Oh well, one of these days...

I didn't know there was "a cheaper one" tho. What's missing from it feature-wise or is it just lighter weight (flimsier)?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lovely playground shots, Jerry.

Here's one from yesterday.

GH1 with OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex @ 1/250s on a monopod

GH1 with OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex @ 1/200s on a monopod

Right after I took these, I met a photographer with a 400mm f/2.8. He looked at my lens and I looked at his. I wouldn't mind having his, but mine is cheaper, lighter, smaller and has longer reach :D

J

juliedanurse

I played with bouncing the pop-up flash on my Lumix GF3 and was able to capture this shot of my daughter and granddaughter in a really dark room (light from the television was the only light). I used an Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 lens, wide open. The room blinds, walls and ceiling are all light in color so the bounce worked well.

1-852 by juliedanurse, on Flickr