The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went on a business trip to Phnom Penh earlier this week, and when going on business, it's important to travel in style!

GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 9mm and f/4.5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm going more or less 100% m4/3 for my day-to-day photography, so had to do a test to see if I can do reasonably good pan shots with the EVF of a GH1. It seems to work fine. Although I can't see what I'm doing once I've started shooting, the speed of the movement mostly has to be anticipated beforehand anyway, and only minor adjustments are possible. I'm not selling my Nikon gear yet, but this shot was taken with a camera/lens combo that weighs less than 700g. The D300 or D2Xs with the 80-200 AF-S is nearly 3kg.

GH1 with OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 @ f/11 and 1/60s

Riley

I'm going more or less 100% m4/3 for my day-to-day photography, so had to do a test to see if I can do reasonably good pan shots with the EVF of a GH1. It seems to work fine. Although I can't see what I'm doing once I've started shooting, the speed of the movement mostly has to be anticipated beforehand anyway, and only minor adjustments are possible. I'm not selling my Nikon gear yet, but this shot was taken with a camera/lens combo that weighs less than 700g. The D300 or D2Xs with the 80-200 AF-S is nearly 3kg.
hey excellent !
I wondered how this would go with my own Gh2
If I read you correctly, it seems the configuration defeats follow up shots due to extended black out. (?)

What about the EVF lag though?
and did you try burst mode ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
hey excellent !
I wondered how this would go with my own Gh2
If I read you correctly, it seems the configuration defeats follow up shots due to extended black out. (?)

What about the EVF lag though?
and did you try burst mode ?
I do use burst mode, but if the images that come up in the viewfinder show that I'm completely off, I just let the shutter release go. It's a bit hit and miss, but all long exposure pan shots are, since the movement to a large degree has to be anticipated in beforehand.

Practicing the "swing" with heavy resistance at the gym helps also. It's all about control, and more power gives more control.

Tesselator

I do use burst mode, but if the images that come up in the viewfinder show that I'm completely off, I just let the shutter release go. It's a bit hit and miss, but all long exposure pan shots are, since the movement to a large degree has to be anticipated in beforehand.

Practicing the "swing" with heavy resistance at the gym helps also. It's all about control, and more power gives more control.

Sounds right. I would like to add that specifically "EVF Lag" on the newer µ4/3 bodies is just about nonexistent. The EVF Lag of my GH1 for example is juuust acceptable for almost all kinds of photography. For critical sports shots it's sometimes not. With my GH2 however the EVF Lag is about 1/30th of a second and maybe 3 or 4 times faster than my GH1. And that's fast enough for every kind of photography. The typical motor-chord to ones's finger digits is said to be 1/10s after all.

Black outs, EVF Preview delays and so forth are of course a different matter...

Just saying...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Visited my favourite restaurant with a friend of mine and my new GH2 last night. The GH2 really rocks :)

GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 14mm, f/4.0, 1/10s and ISO 3200

Tesselator

Some more with the FD 300/2.8L on the GH2:

The first image here was an experiment on a rather dull image to show someone how much sharpening could be applied using a MC booster without incurring those 2 or 3 pixel outline halos indicative of USM, Smart Sharpen, and the alike. :p The rest are just normally processed without much done to them.

1/2000s ISO200*

1/250s ISO200*

1/250s ISO800*

1/1600s ISO800

1/2500s ISO1000*

PeterB666

There are some lovely photos here. I thought I would post something completely different. I picked up an Olympus OM-D EP-5 a couple of days ago. I thought I would give it a try out with some long exposures, 40 seconds without the dark frame noise reduction. An impossible task with either my old E-P1 or E-P3.

Clifton Gardens by peterb666, on Flickr

I am very pleased with the results.