The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

B

Bhakti-rider

Thanks; I'll try that:

Post-attempt edit:

It appeared to have uploaded the file, and said it had. But then I clicked "submit reply" (should I have done something else first?), and the image isn't here. I tried from one of my local drives; should I try instead from the web - does that work correctly? Well, I guess I'll just go ahead and try that now, then I'll know:

http://photos.imageevent.com/bhakti_rider/naturepictures/thepictures/huge/Pink ladies.jpg

Post-post-attempt edit:

That obviously didn't work either... anyone care to educate me?

Last edited:
B

Bhakti-rider

It must be that I didn't use the
. I'll try now using that:

Eureka! Thanks!

Not very pleasing bokeh, is it? That was wide open (f3.5) at 54mm.

cjlacz

Thanks for the software suggestions. I'm on a Mac so some of them I can't use, although I remember Infranview from way way back. Gimp looks like it has been improved a bit, although still X11 based. I'll try downloading the demo of Photoshop Elements when I have time to play with it.

Maybe I should mention what I have now. I moved up from iPhoto to Aperture earlier this year. I'm still learning it's features but I'm pretty happy with it. I really like how good the highlight recovery is. I wish it had non-destructible local modifications like LR2.

Mitch's B&W work was what inspired me to get the GRD2 and I also picked up Lightzone. I've ignored Lightzone for quite a while and just started playing with it again last night. I see a lot of the advantages more clearly then I did before. I haven't been happy with what I've tried doing in B&W so I'll starting playing with Lightzone again.

I do have a few questions. Can I do things like removing the rope and bottle with this software? I haven't looked into how to do this. I assume Gimp can if/when I learn it. What useful tools would Photoshop Elements add on top of these two? I remember someone here was testing some new software that sounded like it would be a better Lightzone. Does anyone know what came of that?

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Arne Hvaring

A few more ice-abstracts.
I'm really impressed with how well the G1 handles these kind of motives, even with just the kit lens.

Last edited:

scho

A few more ice-abstracts.
I'm really impressed with how well the G1 handles these kind of motives, even with just the kit lens.
Beautiful images Arne. I love the abstract ice patterns. I agree that the G1 kit lens is really something special.

Regards,
Carl

Arne Hvaring

Beautiful images Arne. I love the abstract ice patterns. I agree that the G1 kit lens is really something special.

Regards,
Carl
Thank you, Carl. For the modest outlay the kit lens is hard to beat. FWIW, mine performs somewhat better in the close range than at distance.

A

asabet

Love the ice abstracts Arne! The second one in your last post is my favorite.

Carl, the first image in #49 is beautiful. The green is vibrant and natural, and the whole shot makes a 3D impression.

My 70 year old dad thought I was loony for making manually focused, film photos while he was having fun with a whole new class of digital camera:

Last edited:

scho

Love the ice abstracts Arne! The second one in your last post is my favorite.

Carl, the first image in #49 is beautiful. The green is vibrant and natural, and the whole shot makes a 3D impression.

My 70 year old dad thought I was loony for making manually focused, film photos while he was having fun with a whole new class of digital camera:
Amin, I'm just a year older than your father and I share his sentiments and good taste in cameras. I only shoot film when I'm feeling nostalgic and I also use a red G1.:)

A

asabet

Amin, I'm just a year older than your father and I share his sentiments and good taste in cameras. I only shoot film when I'm feeling nostalgic and I also use a red G1.:)
Carl, that's really neat :). I remember my father shooting film with a Nikon SLR when I was very young. He transitioned to digital with the Canon D30, and before the G1 had a 20D. I pre-ordered a 5D II for him, but when he tried the G1, he had me cancel the 5D II order. I don't remember him ever liking a camera this much.

monza

When I go visit my dad and bring along an old Leica or a Nicca (what he used in the Korean war) he isn't much interested. But if I bring out the D700 suddenly he wants to talk cameras. :)

andrewteee

This is a great thread to watch. It looks like the G1 is becoming a popular camera and something of a cult camera what with all of the adapters coming out. I might have to look more deeply into it.

fordfanjpn

I feel like just a kid at only 58, but I'm also shooting a red G1. Glad to know I'm coming up in such good company. :)

Bill

jonoslack

I feel like just a kid at only 58, but I'm also shooting a red G1. Glad to know I'm coming up in such good company. :)

Bill
Hi Bill
It's only you oldies that are brave enough to use the red one. Youngsters like me (56) can only really countenance black.
:)