The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

A couple more with the Oly 7-14 on a GX8. I can't emphasise enough how sharp this lens is. For a zoom it is unbelievable. I've always accepted that a zoom will give me convenience over image quality. I also like the colours and contrast. Both of these shots have only minor changes in LR.

This is taken inside an old Jewish cemetery in Whitechapel, London.

This is in Brady Street, which is right in the heart of Whitechapel.

scho

I decided to pass on the Pen-F for now and instead picked up another E-M5II (replacement for one I sold last year). Can't get out to shoot yet because of the polar vortex that moved in last night and dropped wind chills into the -20's. Tried a few snaps around the house and through windows with the M5II attached to an old Canon FD 4L in a gimbal mount. Hoping that Olympus will put a new 20MP sensor into an M1 body which is due for a refresh (or is it just going to be perpetual firmware feature updates?).

and one more of the silver maple above using the 1.4x extender to yield 420mm (840mm 35 equiv.)

Last edited:

Annna T

I like the 4th and the last two. Did you use the high res mode for some of the shots ?

I decided to pass on the Pen-F for now and instead picked up another E-M5II (replacement for one I sold last year). Can't get out to shoot yet because of the polar vortex that moved in last night and dropped wind chills into the -20's. Tried a few snaps around the house and through windows with the M5II attached to an old Canon FD 4L in a gimbal mount. Hoping that Olympus will put a new 20MP sensor into an M1 body which is due for a refresh (or is it just going to be perpetual firmware feature updates?).

and one more of the silver maple above using the 1.4x extender to yield 420mm (840mm 35 equiv.)

biglouis

I know comparisons are always dangerous but...

GX8+20/1.7 (first version) wide open - today

Leica Q 28/1.7 wide open - last weekend

Annna T

Personnally, I prefer the Leica Q version : may be because the composition is more interesting because we are seeing more flowers in a better arrangement : I prefer the horizontal twig. But that is not the only thing. The colors look better too and the transition to the OOF areas. In the GX8 picture, the twig/branch itself is very sharp, but rather distracting. Where in the Leica Q image, they are out of focus and the flowers are brought forward better.

To sum up : the composition is so different between the two that it is difficult to compare and draw any conclusions concerning those two cameras.

dhsimmonds

I agree with Anna, the Leica Q image has just a bit more "artistic" feel to it. To be fair though they are both excellent images and the differences are so close it doesn't really matter in the real world. However, when looking at the capital investments involved, the GX8 wins hands down!

mediumcool

GX8+20/1.7 (first version) wide open - today

I just sold my 20mm Lumix v1 (and a 30mm Sigma) to help pay for a new 25/1.7 Lumix—unfortunately they are all a tad ‘nervous’ in the bokeh department.

The 28mm is definitely smoother (creamier?) in OOF areas, but given the sensor differences, the little µ43 guy does a very good job!

Best value? Ha!:rolleyes:

biglouis

To be honest I prefer the GX8 version.
Personnally, I prefer the Leica Q version : may be because the composition is more interesting because we are seeing more flowers in a better arrangement : I prefer the horizontal twig. But that is not the only thing. The colors look better too and the transition to the OOF areas. In the GX8 picture, the twig/branch itself is very sharp, but rather distracting. Where in the Leica Q image, they are out of focus and the flowers are brought forward better.

To sum up : the composition is so different between the two that it is difficult to compare and draw any conclusions concerning those two cameras.
I agree with Anna, the Leica Q image has just a bit more "artistic" feel to it. To be fair though they are both excellent images and the differences are so close it doesn't really matter in the real world. However, when looking at the capital investments involved, the GX8 wins hands down!

The 28mm is definitely smoother (creamier?) in OOF areas, but given the sensor differences, the little µ43 guy does a very good job!

Best value? Ha!:rolleyes:
Thanks, all. I'm not about to divest myself of the Q which was a personal reward for a long working life (thanks to the tax free sum on one of my pensions) and a camera which is rewarding to use but I have always admired the 20/1.7 from the time I originally got one bundled with a GF-1 and I was curious to try and compare the results as I was able to (almost) recreate the shot even though it was a week apart.

The fact that you can buy a 20/1.7 second hand off ebay for around 150 quid is to my mind almost criminal.

There is no doubt in my mind, though, that the DNA is shared between the Leica Q and GX8. The sensor is obviously a lot different but I am sure Panasonic have tuned it to give a Leica-like look. The fit and finish of the GX8 is very good indeed. And the 20/1.7 is a most obvious rip-off of a Summicron.

Why on earth Leica do not re badge the GX8, throw in a free copy of LR and/or bundle it with the 15 or 25 'Leica' DG lenses is beyond me. They could even call it the Leica CL. They'd sell tons to the more-money-than-sense brigade.

LouisB

biglouis

First chance to really play with the 2.8/45 Macro Elmarit I bough s/h from ebay, on the GX8.

I was really surprised to see this hover fly inside a crocus collecting pollen. It is the coldest day so far in London this winter.

iso200 f8 1/250th

scho

Bedraggled. This little Chickadee was soaked from the mixed cold rain and sleet. Shot through kitchen window with E-M5II + 40-150 F/2.8 Pro.

scho

Sweet barter. I gave my neighbor permission to tap our sugar maples in exchange for some syrup. Olympus E-M5II+40-150 Pro.

scho

Flag in our city park was lowered to half staff today as a tribute to Supreme court justice Scalia. Olympus E-M5II + 12-40.

biglouis

First real attempt to use the GX8 for interior shots. This is St Dunstan's Stepney Green, the oldest continuous church in London (AD 952) and commemorated in the nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons - "When will that be, say the bells of Stepney".
iso640 f8 1/60 7-14/2.8