The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

scho

An incredibly beautiful, February afternoon with no wind and 60 degrees F. Walk in the park with Olympus E-M5II + 12-40 Pro.

Old boathouse rear entrance. Two high res shots stitched in LR.

scho

One more image from yesterday's outing. Fall Creek with Cornell campus skyline in background. Three high res shots focus stacked in Helicon Focus. Click for larger image (50% of original size). I expected to see more motion artifacts in the trees, but not too bad.

Last edited:

teeraash

Bangkok Story with Nocticron and 15/1.4
Doing street with GX8 is a breeze. In fact, I find that the camera operates and focusses too quick and I have yet learned to slow down and be more careful with composition, and where I should place a focus point on the frame etc. Probably it's a good idea to go back to rangefinder for a change of tempo and technique.

[/url]_1040024.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

[/IMG]_1040047.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

_1040070.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

[/url]_1040081.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

_1040086.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Teera,

thanks for your post, I highly prefer the M9/Noctilux pictures over the GX8/Nocticron ones! Better colors, better sharpness where it matters and much better bokeh IMHO.

Peter

mediumcool

Re the portraits of “The Missus”!

The different times and locales don’t help with comparisons, and neither do the different outfits worn by the subject!

Some observations: skin and hair tones are warmer and more immediately pleasing in the μ43 shots—the first-posted Leica pic has a strong blue tint in the hair, on the other hand. Was there much or any adjustment made in the face and hair of different shots?

I have to assume that the μ43 pix were made further away from the subject (an equivalent focal length of 85mm vs 50mm for the Leica lens).

Given the difference in prices, I believe that the Lumix/Nocticron does quite well, though it has what I would describe as a “nibbly” bokeh (in the upper left area of the first posted pic). What were the apertures used in each photograph? And the relative equipment costs?

:)

dhsimmonds

To my eyes, all the portraits made with Noctitron/G8 combination are sharper in hair and face detail. The cost of equipment is not relevant but I would ask the OP which did he prefer using to make these shots and why?

biglouis

Not to you perhaps, but some of us have limited means, and a Leica system remains perpetually out of reach for many.
The more I use my m43rds Panasonic kit the more I realise it has inherited a large dose of Leica DNA. You might be closer to a Leica than you think. All the Lumix DG Leica lenses are ridiculously cheap (especially second hand where I have recently re-equipped myself with the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8) but to my eye produce Leica-like glows, colours and bokeh. BTW, I class the 20/1.7 as a Leica lens. The design is clearly a rip-off of a Summicron. I don't own the DG Lux 50 anymore (I will eventually crack and buy it back, I'm sure) but it is a fabulous lens.

The differences in the shots above are to my eye minimal. I actually prefer the second portrait with the Nocticron to the Noctilux. I think there is better isolation of the subject from the background and I find the Noctilux bokeh balls, while optically interesting, too distracting.

I owned a M8 and a range of Leica lenses for about 5 years and the biggest drawback was backfocus. You might own a lux or a tron but you would then have to deal with the fact that the lens over time needed adjusting to overcome backfocus. My lux 35 asph had awful back focus and I briefly owned a 50/1.4 which I returned because of back focus. One thing I like about live-view and EVFs is that you can check you are bang on focus.

So, even if you do lust after a Leica actually in the real world you could be better off with a modern m43rds system or similar.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The more I use my m43rds Panasonic kit the more I realise it has inherited a large dose of Leica DNA. You might be closer to a Leica than you think. All the Lumix DG Leica lenses are ridiculously cheap (especially second hand where I have recently re-equipped myself with the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8) but to my eye produce Leica-like glows, colours and bokeh. BTW, I class the 20/1.7 as a Leica lens. The design is clearly a rip-off of a Summicron. I don't own the DG Lux 50 anymore (I will eventually crack and buy it back, I'm sure) but it is a fabulous lens.

The differences in the shots above are to my eye minimal. I actually prefer the second portrait with the Nocticron to the Noctilux. I think there is better isolation of the subject from the background and I find the Noctilux bokeh balls, while optically interesting, too distracting.

I owned a M8 and a range of Leica lenses for about 5 years and the biggest drawback was backfocus. You might own a lux or a tron but you would then have to deal with the fact that the lens over time needed adjusting to overcome backfocus. My lux 35 asph had awful back focus and I briefly owned a 50/1.4 which I returned because of back focus. One thing I like about live-view and EVFs is that you can check you are bang on focus.

So, even if you do lust after a Leica actually in the real world you could be better off with a modern m43rds system or similar.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
I fully agree - but would like to expand this "Leica look" thing to "Leica look and feel"

1) also most of the better Olympus m43 lenses produce a quite a similar look, especially the 1.8/75 and the 1.8/17 IMHO. I do have high hopes for the upcoming Oly 1.2/25 ....

2) especially the new PenF gives lot of RF feeling with pretty well developed EVF technology and combined with some of the mentioned glass, especially with the Leica DG15 for just a small fraction of the cost of an equivalent M240 and 2/35 cron system

3) there is also the Fuji system, which is in my eyes a very good solution if you want Leica look on some "RF like" bodies (aka XPro1 and now XPro2), although it already gets a lot larger than m43 easily.

Peter

biglouis

This is a sort-of fun looking at m43rds camera post rather than with m43rds cameras.

I can't help comparing my recently acquired GX8 with my other cameras.

Firstly, with the A7S and FE 90/2.8. This could be entitled 'Beauty and the Beast'. I am getting as-good results for macro shots from the GX8 and 45/2.8 as I am with my A7S and FE 90/2.8. I can also shoot 'one-handed' if necessary with the GX8 combo, something I can't do with the A7S+FE90/2.8. You might wonder why I would be using an A7S for macro? Other users, like me, have found that having noise-free shots at high iso means you can stop down to f16 and still have fast shutter speeds. However, the GX8 has a larger depth of field at wider apertures, e.g f4 which compensates for not being equal to the A7S in terms of IQ at high iso.

The GX8 is roughly the same size as the old A7 series bodies. I prefer the grip on the GX8, somehow it fits my hand (smallish) better than the A7 grip. Weight-wise the GX8 is heavier but it also feels a lot more solid than the A7S.

I argue that Panasonic have learned a lot about manufacture (or is it the other way around) when comparing the GX8 with my Leica Q. Both have a solid, professional feel about them that makes you want to pick them up and take photographs. The deep grip is an advantage for the GX8 when placed on a flat surface. The heavier lens on the Q makes it front heavy.

Finally, looking into the throat of the GX8 versus the A7S. When I bought the GX8 my first impression when I looked inside the camera was "Wow! That is a small sensor." This is still true. It is a small sensor compared with a standard full-frame one. However, for most purposes below bill-board size prints (I've never needed this) and in light up to iso1600 there is not a lot of difference in IQ, imho.

As stated above - this is just a bit of fun. All photographs taken with my Ricoh GR - which can still whoop all the cameras here in good daylight and is as well built as any of them.

LouisB

teeraash

Sorry for late reply. All images from Nocticron and Noctilux were shot wide open. The proof is in the print. I printed the images above at fairy large size. Some people like the ones from Noctilux, and almost equally number like those from the Nocticron. Differences between these images are really not image quality but stem from differing characters of these two lenses.

Forgot to add that I can do street photo with the Nocticron WO. The GX8 will effortlessly focus accurately and precisely where I want it to. The hit rates would be close to 100% with little practice. But I need to be 20 years younger to do likewise with the Noctilux.

PS I will stick with GX8 Nocticron and RX1M2 for a while and see what these combo can do for me. No need to fork out for the monstrous 85/1.4 GM at least until I surrender to a gas attack.

Last edited:

mediumcool

The more I use my m43rds Panasonic kit the more I realise it has inherited a large dose of Leica DNA. You might be closer to a Leica than you think. All the Lumix DG Leica lenses are ridiculously cheap (especially second hand where I have recently re-equipped myself with the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8) but to my eye produce Leica-like glows, colours and bokeh.
The 45 Macro is hard to find for less than $800 in Australia (I do have a macro lens—see below); not cheap. I aim to acquire a 42.5/1.7 and a 15/1.7 to fill out the kit, and since the 15mm is labelled “Summilux”, there may be a bit of Leica DNA after all!

I owned a 20mm f/1.7 mk1 and it was my sole µ43 lens for a few years—I now have a collection of adapted Zuiko 43 zooms and the superb Zuiko 50mm f/2 macro, along with a Lumix 25mm f/1.7; its bokeh is a tad nervous, akin to the 20mm f/1.7 and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 which have been sold as superfluous.

BTW, I class the 20/1.7 as a Leica lens. The design is clearly a rip-off of a Summicron.
I’m sure that the patent is well-expired by now! The 25mm seems adequate, but I do miss the 20mm.

I don't own the DG Lux 50anymore (I will eventually crack and buy it back, I'm sure) but it is a fabulous lens.
Unknown lens.

One thing I like about live-view and EVFs is that you can check you are bang on focus.
Indeed; very useful. I use magnified manual focus most of the time on the G3 and E-M5, as I do on my new[ish] Sony a7 with W/A lenses. [digression: I thought the E-M5’s menus were rubbish before using the a7!]

So, even if you do lust after a Leica actually in the real world you could be better off with a modern m43rds system or similar. Just my two cents.

LouisB
Lusted after an M2 about 35 years ago, but no lust has arisen since then for any of their products, though I found the S diverting for a short time. ;)

Last edited:

mediumcool

Some ppl dismiss µ43 as too small—but it’s great for macro work and many other things! These shots are so textural; you’ve outdone yourself here! Number 2 is my fave.

[I recently bought a Sony a7 for architectural work, but have not warmed to it as I did with various Panasonics and the Olympus E-M5, even with its quality and versatility]

biglouis

Some ppl dismiss µ43 as too small—but it’s great for macro work and many other things! These shots are so textural; you’ve outdone yourself here! Number 2 is my fave.

[I recently bought a Sony a7 for architectural work, but have not warmed to it as I did with various Panasonics and the Olympus E-M5, even with its quality and versatility]
I am beginning to agree. I've decided to put my fe 90/2.8 up for sale and only use the GX8+45/2.8 for macro work.

Incidentally, I had the choice of getting the Loxia 21mm for my A7 series cameras or getting the Oly 7-14 for architectural work (I am working on a book which requires quite a lot of photographs of buildings in tight urban settings) and in the end went for the Oly. The target publication is only A5+ so the m43rds photos will be more than enough in terms of IQ.

LouisB