The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

bensonga

I picked up a Pana 100-300mm lens yesterday. I've read some less than glowing reviews of of the Pana 100-300, but so far at least, I'm seeing some pretty good results. I might have been lucky and just got a good copy.

Being able to easily hand hold a lens that has an effective 600mm FOV and get sharp pictures is still amazing to me. I also took a few photos with the GX-8 and my Leica Telyt-R 250mm lens. Thanks to the IBIS of the GX-8, and the use of a monopod to steady the camera while manual focusing with the aid of focus magnification, I got many sharp images with this combination, although I think I will prefer to use it on a tripod in the future.

I posted a few more images from yesterday on the "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" thread.

Gary

GX8 and the Pana 100-300, first at 100mm then at 300mm, from the same spot.

Last edited:

biglouis

I picked up a Pana 100-300mm lens yesterday. I've read some less than glowing reviews of of the Pana 100-300, but so far at least, I'm seeing some pretty good results. I might have been lucky and just got a good copy.

Being able to easily hand hold a lens that has an effective 600mm FOV and get sharp pictures is still amazing to me. I also took a few photos with the GX-8 and my Leica Telyt-R 250mm lens. Thanks to the IBIS of the GX-8, and the use of a monopod to steady the camera while manual focusing with the aid of focus magnification, I got many sharp images with this combination, although I think I will prefer to use it on a tripod in the future.

I posted a few more images from yesterday on the "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" thread.

Gary
Great captures. I think it is a great lens and I always got amazing results with it. I am probably being no more than a snob hanging on to get the new 100-400 here in the UK.

This was with the 100-300 and I think it is probably my all time favourite with the lens: the Wren is a tiny if incredibly noisy bird and without the speed of m43rds and the incredible reach of the lens I would never have captured it.

bensonga

I love the view thru the tunnel perspective, the light and what appears to be an approaching storm in this photo Louis. :thumbup:

Gary

marlof

No GH3. I did have the GH2 but never bonded with it, so it ended up with my niece. A friend of mine shoots mostly with the GH3 and 12-35, and sees no reason to upgrade his gear.

bensonga

Even with MFT cameras, I prefer the size and format of a small DSLR style body. While I love the quality of the GX8 EVF etc, I still prefer the ergonomics of the GH line (I had a GH2 before), so I bought a GH3 recently. They are so inexpensive now. The GH3 EVF is nothing like the current state of the art. Amazing how much the EVFs etc have improved in just 3 years. However, the actual images from a GH3 are still pretty good.

Gary

GH3 and 42.5/1.7 converted to B&W with Topaz

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Anyone here still shooting with a GH3?

Gary

Not any longer, but it's a camera that I miss. I bought an E-M1 yesterday for under $500 and might buy a GH4 later if I can find a very good deal on one. I can recommend the Zuiko 75mm for the GH3. It was my absolute favourite combo.

k-hawinkler

Well, for shots like this one I would like a better camera.
Camera improvement areas: PDAF, CDAF Focus Speed, High ISO Performance. Did I say Focus Speed?
The 300/4 lens performance seems fine, provided new cameras deliver much faster focusing with that lens. Focus accuracy seems superb!

Image displayed at half resolution, cropped at the bottom, focus on the nearer Turkey Vulture.

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=6,400, 1/1,000 s.

biglouis

Even with MFT cameras, I prefer the size and format of a small DSLR style body. While I love the quality of the GX8 EVF etc, I still prefer the ergonomics of the GH line (I had a GH2 before), so I bought a GH3 recently. They are so inexpensive now. The GH3 EVF is nothing like the current state of the art. Amazing how much the EVFs etc have improved in just 3 years. However, the actual images from a GH3 are still pretty good.

Gary

GH3 and 42.5/1.7 converted to B&W with Topaz
I'm surprised you say that about the EVF. I was amazed with the evf on my GH-2. The first time I used I realised that OVF would eventually be consigned to the dustbin of history. I thought seriously about buying a s/h GH3 before acquiring the GX8 - but to be fair it was a sale opportunity not to be repeated that made me plump for the GX8 instead.

I would like a second body but now I am using the 20mpx sensor I am not sure I can go back to a 16mp one.

LouisB

bensonga

I have never been very impressed with EVFs (vs OVFs) until recently. If I had been coming directly from the GH-2 to the GH-3, I might be ok GH-3 EVF (although several reviews have noted it's problems). But I've been using the Fuji XT-1, Sony A7 and now Panasonic GX-8 EVFs recently and they are a huge improvement over the GH-3. Apparently, part of the problem with the GH-3 is the magnifier that you actually look thru. I've noticed the distortion and color cast that some people complain about. If I move my eye in the least bit off dead center, the outer edges of the viewfinder become distorted.

This was from DPReview.com review of the GH-3:
"However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel and the corners are fuzzy unless you look straight at them (a problem that gets even worse if you wear glasses). We also found a distinct color cast to the EVF panel, meaning it gave a different (and apparently less accurate) color rendition to the rear screen. No amount of tweaking the fine tune settings in the menu could get the EVF to render greens the way they appear in the final output."

Unfortunately, I do wear eyeglasses, so I'm surely getting the worst possible experience with this viewfinder.

Other that the EVF issue....I like the camera! :)

Gary

biglouis

I have never been very impressed with EVFs (vs OVFs) until recently. If I had been coming directly from the GH-2 to the GH-3, I might be ok GH-3 EVF (although several reviews have noted it's problems). But I've been using the Fuji XT-1, Sony A7 and now Panasonic GX-8 EVFs recently and they are a huge improvement over the GH-3. Apparently, part of the problem with the GH-3 is the magnifier that you actually look thru. I've noticed the distortion and color cast that some people complain about. If I move my eye in the least bit off dead center, the outer edges of the viewfinder become distorted.

This was from DPReview.com review of the GH-3:
"However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel and the corners are fuzzy unless you look straight at them (a problem that gets even worse if you wear glasses). We also found a distinct color cast to the EVF panel, meaning it gave a different (and apparently less accurate) color rendition to the rear screen. No amount of tweaking the fine tune settings in the menu could get the EVF to render greens the way they appear in the final output."

Unfortunately, I do wear eyeglasses, so I'm surely getting the worst possible experience with this viewfinder.

Other that the EVF issue....I like the camera! :)

Gary
That really is interesting. Maybe they got it right with the GH-2 and not with the GH-3? I never noticed any distortion. I am long sighted so I am able to adjust the dioptre to my eyesight and not use glasses.

I am perfectly happy with the EVF on the GX8. I regularly get myself into hot water by contending that in 10 years time people will look back on OVFs the way we do with film. Nice idea but so outdated. :)

LouisB

scho

Hi res shot with the E-M5II+Lumix 20/1.7. Click for image that is 50% of original size (64 MP). Sharpening using display output setting of 50% adaptive in NIK Sharpener pro 3 LR plugin.

Last edited:

scho

I'm surprised you say that about the EVF. I was amazed with the evf on my GH-2. The first time I used I realised that OVF would eventually be consigned to the dustbin of history. I thought seriously about buying a s/h GH3 before acquiring the GX8 - but to be fair it was a sale opportunity not to be repeated that made me plump for the GX8 instead.

I would like a second body but now I am using the 20mpx sensor I am not sure I can go back to a 16mp one.

LouisB
I've been waiting for an E-M1 upgrade with that 20 MP sensor, but looks like it is going to be the usual long, Olympus wait. I'm spoiled by the Sony camera a month pace.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That really is interesting. Maybe they got it right with the GH-2 and not with the GH-3? I never noticed any distortion. I am long sighted so I am able to adjust the dioptre to my eyesight and not use glasses.

I am perfectly happy with the EVF on the GX8. I regularly get myself into hot water by contending that in 10 years time people will look back on OVFs the way we do with film. Nice idea but so outdated. :)

LouisB
I am fully in the Olympus m43 camp so far, but might get a GX8 just because of the reason to get the 20MP sensor NOW!

I cannot get friend so far with the PenF, a beautiful camera, but I am looking for a practical one to shoot wildlife - and the combo of the GX8 with the 100-400 should just work great for this purpose.

Eventually Olympus will bring the 20MP EM1mark2, but I also fear it will be introduced earliest at Photokina 2016, which means availability not before end of this year :sleep: Unfortunately Olympus is sleeping again ....