The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

k-hawinkler

Thanks Carl.
Very detailed shot. I should use that feature more often. :thumbup:

I wouldn't mind an E-M1.2 soon with 24 MP and better high ISO performance. :grin:
But most important to me would be better focusing speed.
My cameras are set up to only fire on focus, so Release is set to Off!
For available light or low contrast situations AF-C simply doesn't work for me.
So I have been forced to use AF-S, never mind using focus tracking.

My reason for wanting more MP is the ability to crop more heavily.
The 42 MP of the A7r2 are just marvelous for that.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Carl.
Very detailed shot. I should use that feature more often. :thumbup:

I wouldn't mind an E-M1.2 soon with 24 MP and better high ISO performance. :grin:
But most important to me would be better focusing speed.
My cameras are set up to only fire on focus, so Release is set to Off!
For available light or low contrast situations AF-C simply doesn't work for me.
So I have been forced to use AF-S, never mind using focus tracking.

My reason for wanting more MP is the ability to crop more heavily.
The 42 MP of the A7r2 are just marvelous for that.
My main reason for more MP is being able to crop as well!

I actually hope that the EM1-2 will also give a huge boost to AFC, even in bad light. I do not care about the HR mode, as I would not like to use this camera from a tripod.

k-hawinkler

My main reason for more MP is being able to crop as well!

I actually hope that the EM1-2 will also give a huge boost to AFC, even in bad light. I do not care about the HR mode, as I would not like to use this camera from a tripod.

Now HR mode without a tripod, hmm, that would be interesting, no? :facesmack:

bensonga

That really is interesting. Maybe they got it right with the GH-2 and not with the GH-3? I never noticed any distortion. I am long sighted so I am able to adjust the dioptre to my eyesight and not use glasses.

I am perfectly happy with the EVF on the GX8. I regularly get myself into hot water by contending that in 10 years time people will look back on OVFs the way we do with film. Nice idea but so outdated. :)

LouisB
Hi Louis. From what I've read subsequently, it does seem that the GH3 may have been a step backwards from the GH2 re the quality of the EVF. I had a chance to compare my GH3 with a GH4 at the local camera shop today and the GH4 was very noticeably much better.

Camera Ergonomics: Lumix GH3 Review Part 2 Viewfinder Problems ?

I really like the EVF in the GX8.

Gary

bensonga

After the snows of winter (not much this year) and before we see flowers and budding trees of spring, we have a period in Anchorage that locals call "breakup". All the ugliness of the trash which people have discarded over the winter is uncovered. It gives a whole new meaning to the need for "spring cleaning".

Gary

GH3, 20mm f1.7 II lens, converted to B&W with Topaz

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Those are Ravens - not Vultures! :LOL: The store does very well indeed! :grin:

E-M5.2 + LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 @ FL=42.5 mm, F/10, ISO=200, 1/320 s.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Louis. From what I've read subsequently, it does seem that the GH3 may have been a step backwards from the GH2 re the quality of the EVF. I had a chance to compare my GH3 with a GH4 at the local camera shop today and the GH4 was very noticeably much better.

Camera Ergonomics: Lumix GH3 Review Part 2 Viewfinder Problems ?

I really like the EVF in the GX8.

Gary
I've read the critic about the GH3 viewfinder earlier, but never saw it as a problem with my own camera. Maybe I'm too busy taking photos... :rolleyes:

biglouis

I'm already getting used to it and as long as I don't pick up the GX8 again I'll be fine. 😉
Gary
I'm not just saying this but I don't even register any longer that I am using an EVF. So, I agree about the GX8 and to be fair also the A7R/S and Leica Q. The ability to see the impact of +-EV is a major win in EVFs, imho.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had to do a brick wall shot, just to check if the lens was as sharp as I remembered it. It is.

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 17mm and f/5.6

biglouis

I still think Leica are bonkers for their public stance on m43rds.

Why they don't take the GX8, give it some subtle Leica styling - maybe with a silver version of the 15/1.7, throw in Lightroom and sell it for double the price is beyond me.

They are leaving some serious money on the table, imho.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I still think Leica are bonkers for their public stance on m43rds.

Why they don't take the GX8, give it some subtle Leica styling - maybe with a silver version of the 15/1.7, throw in Lightroom and sell it for double the price is beyond me.

They are leaving some serious money on the table, imho.

LouisB
I am fully with you!

I even go as far saying that they would have done great if they stayed in the m43 camp (with whatever Panasonic camera, now of course the GX8) instead of inventing the T System. Which is really nonsense given the fact they do have now FF (M series and SL) as well as MF (S system). A great m43 system would have been the right complement.

They seem to be stupid ... at least IMHO

Peter

bensonga

I had to do a brick wall shot, just to check if the lens was as sharp as I remembered it. It is.

E-M1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 17mm and f/5.6
I was not familiar with that lens Jorgen. I know of the 14-42 and 14-45, but not a PL 14-50/2.8-3.5. Then is discovered it was a 4/3rds lens, not m43. I often forget that the earlier 4/3rds format existed.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was not familiar with that lens Jorgen. I know of the 14-42 and 14-45, but not a PL 14-50/2.8-3.5. Then is discovered it was a 4/3rds lens, not m43. I often forget that the earlier 4/3rds format existed.

Gary
It did indeed exist, and some of the lenses are among the best ever made, particularly among zoom lenses. The one above is one of them, sharp from corner to corner at any focal length and any aperture. The Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 is another, and the 150mm f/2, not to mention the 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0. Then there's the amazing 50mm f/2 macro, which seems to defy diffraction, being sharp to f/16 and beyond.

Most of them were rather large considering the small format, mostly because them were designed to be telecentric or near telecentric, which is the main reason for the very even sharpness across the frame. They obviously do fine with no corrections in software, as opposed to the m4/3 lenses that are all (except the Zuiko 75mm and probably the new 300mm) designed to be corrected for distortion in camera or during post processing. In my mind, there's no doubt which alternative gives the best quality results.

I wouldn't mind a 20MP E-6 to use these lenses on :)

biglouis

It did indeed exist, and some of the lenses are among the best ever made, particularly among zoom lenses. The one above is one of them, sharp from corner to corner at any focal length and any aperture. The Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 is another, and the 150mm f/2, not to mention the 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0. Then there's the amazing 50mm f/2 macro, which seems to defy diffraction, being sharp to f/16 and beyond.

Most of them were rather large considering the small format, mostly because them were designed to be telecentric or near telecentric, which is the main reason for the very even sharpness across the frame. They obviously do fine with no corrections in software, as opposed to the m4/3 lenses that are all (except the Zuiko 75mm and probably the new 300mm) designed to be corrected for distortion in camera or during post processing. In my mind, there's no doubt which alternative gives the best quality results.

I wouldn't mind a 20MP E-6 to use these lenses on :)
I saw one in the Aperture shop in Rathbone Place the other day and for a few minutes I was puzzled. "What is this?", I thought. Then I remembered that before micro four-thirds, there was of course four-thirds.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The E-5 is still a current product, and it's less than 6 years since it was launched:

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/e5/index.html
I bought my E5 back in 2010, this was 6 years ago. Had almost the first one in Austria ;)

It was a great camera, especially with the 2/12-35, 2/35-100 (I absolutely loved this one) as well as the 12-60.

Finally it had to go as the size/weight difference to FF Nikon with the lenses I had was only minor and the D700 I bought instead was just dancing circles around the IQ of the E5. Mind you that both the E5 and D700 had 12MP.

At this time it became soon evident that Olympus and Panasonic would go the m43 way and this would mean a complete replacement of 43 lenses.

What I still do not understand that Olympus is not bringing some of their Pro 43 lenses like the 2/150 or the 2.8/90-250 - I would buy the m43 incarnations of these lenses in a heartbeat :cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
E-M1 with 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5.6

And my 3 year old daughter insisted that I add this: :ROTFL:

The 7 year old demanded democracy and insisted on this one: :LOL: