The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

marlof

Last week, we travelled by bike (and partly by boat and train) from Passau (Germany) to Vienna (Austria) alongside the Danube. It was a very easy ride, through a beautiful scenery. Top it off with some days in lovely Vienna, and there's your nice holiday.

Some gear talk: I took a F-Stop Kenti (nice and small, goes perfectly on your back), with three cameras with a lens attached (so I didn't have to change lenses): EM1 with 40-150 2.8, EM5 with 12-40 2.8 and Pen-F with 17 1.8. Although that's a lot of gear to carry, the Kenti worked perfectly in carrying that weight effortlessly.

And then some images (more in the album on Flickr)

EM5 / 12-40

Donau Reflected
by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

EM1 / 40-150

Church

Pen-F / 17

Fiaker Driver

Knorp

These are quacking good shots Bart!:thumbs: I can't wait to get my pre-ordered copy of this lens, I chase it up every week but so far without success.:cry:
Thanks, Dave. I'd say it's absolutely worth the wait. Hope you get yours soon.

Kind regards.

biglouis

Pretty good hey these Panaleicas :thumbup:
I'm looking for a 25/1.4, but prices are steep.

All the best.
Definitely on my list to buy again. The lens is sharp from corner to corner at f1.4. And you can get decent bokeh from it, in my experience.

That said - you could make do with the 20/1.7 - there is not a lot in it.

This was taken on my GH-2 with the PanaLeica 25/1.4 just after the lens came out. I think I bought one of the first ones in the UK.

f6cvalkyrie

From a Mediterranean market held in Brussels.

The cheese from Corsica has to be handled carefully, otherwise ...

Stay safe,

Rafael

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Pretty good hey these Panaleicas :thumbup:
I'm looking for a 25/1.4, but prices are steep.

All the best.
The 4/3 25mm is legendary for good reasons. I agree that prices are steep, but sooner or later :)

Edit: The 14-50 is a bit too contrasty for my taste on the E-M1. Works better on Panasonic cameras, but AF is much faster on the Olympus :(

Knorp

The 4/3 25mm is legendary for good reasons. I agree that prices are steep, but sooner or later :)

Edit: The 14-50 is a bit too contrasty for my taste on the E-M1. Works better on Panasonic cameras, but AF is much faster on the Olympus :(
Perhaps we better wait for the hopefully soon to be announced Oly 25/1.2 ...

mediumcool

Definitely on my list to buy again. The lens is sharp from corner to corner at f1.4. And you can get decent bokeh from it, in my experience.

That said - you could make do with the 20/1.7 - there is not a lot in it.
I tested my 20mm f/1.7 (mk 1) against my new 25mm f/1.7, and the bokeh was about the same—OK until the B/G gets detailed and contrasty (I became used to using negative Clarity and Detail in C1 long ago). But I still miss the 20mm FOV; I sold that lens as mentioned along with a Sigma 30mm (for $300 the pair) when the 25 came along. For under $200au, the 25mm was and remains a good buy.

Next, a
15mm! :D

PS The f/1.4 is way out of my pensioner budget! :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Perhaps we better wait for the hopefully soon to be announced Oly 25/1.2 ...
But don't count on it to be cheaper or lighter. Another thing I like with the original 4/3 lenses is that they are are corrected optically as opposed to in software, the high quality ones also being telecentric or near telecentric. The advantages in image quality can always be discussed, but in my eyes, these factors make for images with more pleasant rendering and better corner-to-corner sharpness. Interestingly, the Zuiko 75 f/1.8 m4/3 is optically corrected, and there are no doubts about the qualities of that lens. I believe the PanaLeica 42.5mm f/1.2 m4/3 is very well corrected optically, but haven't been able to try that lens yet.

I have a Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6 in 4/3 mount on its way, and it will be very interesting to compare performance with the corresponding m4/3 lens.

mediumcool

Another thing I like with the original 4/3 lenses is that they are are corrected optically as opposed to in software …
I have three 4/3 lenses which are excellent (11–22, 14–54 and 50 macro), but avoided the 12–60 Zuiko because of its barrel distortion at its shortest focal length

From photozone.de.

BTW, the above pic shows in-camera corrected distortion.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have three 4/3 lenses which are excellent (11–22, 14–54 and 50 macro), but avoided the 12–60 Zuiko because of its barrel distortion at its shortest focal length

From photozone.de.
... which is one of the reasons why I have the PanaLeica. It's next to impossible to make a lens that is small, sharp, with little distortion for a reasonable price. Olympus chose to throw out the distortion part, Panasonic went for less reach and a more expensive lens, presumably with more advanced optical solutions, but I must admit I haven't studied and compared the optical details.

There are exceptions though. The 50mm macro is (was) small, light, extremely sharp, with little distortion, all at a very reasonable price :thumbup: