The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

mediumcool

Throw the metal thing on top away, fill the red bag with rice, tie it closed and use that as a camera support.
Surprisingly enough, the ‘metal thing’ supports the Olympus E-M5 with the rather bulky Zuiko 14–54 zoom, lenshood, and lens adapter when it’s turned to align with the lens’ axis. The lenshood in particular is quite wide, but the combo sits flat and level with the ‘metal thing’ underneath it. Zooming is a little stiff, but.

So, thanks for your suggestion, but no thanks. ;)

Tim

Pardon my ignorance but what is it?
Pocket tripod perhaps one description. I've got the much earlier version.
They work well on a table where you want to make some small adjustments to frame an image.
Lighter and less bulky in the pocket than a small bean bag that I mentioned. I've found the bean bag idea somewhat quicker and less fiddly for me.

There are some other devices that I tried out, the idea of this is find a bottle at your travel destination.
Instant "tripod". I would not risk an EM5 on this though.

mediumcool

Bean bag (actually a lentil bag)

Olympus E-M5 Zuiko 14–54 at 25mm 1/20 f/5.6 ISO 1600

At 90mm by 115mm, the bag is small, and even smaller in width when filled with Puy lentils (nothing but the best!). They leaked.

Tim

Bean bag (actually a lentil bag)

Olympus E-M5 Zuiko 14–54 at 25mm 1/20 f/5.6 ISO 1600

At 90mm by 115mm, the bag is small, and even smaller in width when filled with Puy lentils (nothing but the best!). They leaked.

Yeah, that didn't work too well..
Maybe this kind of camera bean bag will be better. :grin: :facesmack:

Not sure where the SD card goes though?

biglouis

If I had to choose one lens which exemplifies the main concepts of m43rds for me it would be the Lumix Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 2.8/45 ASPH. This is a shot taken one-handed which is only possible because of the light weight of the camera (GX8) and lens. And of course the blazing fast AF helps as well. iso400 f8 1/400.

Small White butterfly on Sea Holly flower.

Seascape

Nice stuff Mediumcool.

I partially like these images because of the kit lens used to produce them…..the very compact 12-32 Pano.

I have it as the standard lens that came with my GM1, and was surprised by it's image quality, something that people don't talk a lot about.

BTW, when I'm not using the 12-32, I get excellent results with Leica M lenses via the M to M43 adapter…..a win/win :thumbs:

mediumcool

Nice stuff Mediumcool.

I partially like these images because of the kit lens used to produce them—the very compact 12–32 Pano.
Thank you! But this lens has shocking distortion—huge barrel at the wide end (in Capture One) and pincushion at the long end (C1 is rubbish at manual pincushion correction!) so not a great choice for rectilinear subjects. If C1 had presets for more Lumix lenses, it would be less of a problem. But the results from C1 are too good otherwise! :(

Seascape

Thank you! But this lens has shocking distortion—huge barrel at the wide end (in Capture One) and pincushion at the long end (C1 is rubbish at manual pincushion correction!) so not a great choice for rectilinear subjects. If C1 had presets for more Lumix lenses, it would be less of a problem. But the results from C1 are too good otherwise! :(
Agree completely 12mm and rectilinear subjects is a problem, but things change pretty quickly when you move up a bit in focal length. It is my P&S RAW shooting cam (also C1) and I am very happy with the size, cost, and image quality, and can be quite versitile via adapter, 50 Summicron-M:

Attachments

Seascape

Here's a recent grab shot with my P&S GMI/12-32 taken at 12mm, processed in C1 with no corrections, late evening, so could have been lighter in the dark areas.

It's a movie set lighting rig getting ready for shooting the evening scenes:

Attachments