The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Annna T

What skiing does to our slopes and woods. The "Ski slope of the Bear", as seen in summer from the bottom of the valley, with a pretty long focal. Not a pretty sight ! Note that it is just as incongruous in winter and spring when they are using artificial snow and you can see this lone white snowy slope while every thing around is already green..

Olympus E-M52 and m.Zuiko pro 40-150mm F2.8 plus 1.4x extender shot at 200mm (aka 400mm)

Piste de l'Ours, Veysonnaz - 20160730_006_DxO-2em52i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Annna T

We got our national feast and fireworks a few days ago and I used the E-M5II along with the 40-150mm F2.8 pro zoom to catch it from my window. The contrast was very high, because the sky was completely cloudy and the night was very dark. I had to underexpose a lot in order to keep details in the highlights of the fireworks.

Here are a few :

Fireworks, Sion - 20160801_139em52i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Fireworks, Sion - 20160801_131em52i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Fireworks, Sion - 20160801_094em52i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Has anyone here mounted their M4/3 camera to a microscope? I would like to do just that so that I can capture imagery of those tiny strange alien-like creatures that live in pond and sea water. It's a pity that decent quality microscopes are so expensive.

mediumcool

Has anyone here mounted their M4/3 camera to a microscope? I would like to do just that so that I can capture imagery of those tiny strange alien-like creatures that live in pond and sea water. It's a pity that decent quality microscopes are so expensive.
Hey, but wouldn’t decent Raw processors get rid of all the colour-fringing in cheap compound lenses? :rolleyes:

Hey, but wouldn’t decent Raw processors get rid of all the colour-fringing in cheap compound lenses? :rolleyes:
Hmmm....good point! I think there are other potential issues too with cheap objectives like average sharpness in the middle of the image and softness / distortion in the corners. And of course the really good microscope bodies would have an additional viewing port for adding a camera, leaving the other eye pieces free for viewing with human eyeballs. One of the things I enjoyed the most in science class back in high school in Adelaide was viewing those microscopic critters in pond water that looked more bizarre than any alien you'd see in a science fiction movie.

Actually, speaking of chromatic aberration, I had a really bad case of colour fringing while shooting a colony of fruit bats this year in Yeppoon, Queensland. I was shooting against the light using a slow telephoto lens (the Olympus 40 - 150mm f4 - 5.6) so that certainly didn't help. I had to brighten the images a bit in Adobe Lightroom but the resulting colour fringing was extremely severe - the worst Ive ever seen. I was able to reduce a bit of it in Lightroom but still, a lot of it remains. The CA is so extreme that you don't even need to zoom in to see it.

mediumcool

Hmmm....good point! I think there are other potential issues too with cheap objectives like average sharpness in the middle of the image and softness / distortion in the corners. And of course the really good microscope bodies would have an additional viewing port for adding a camera, leaving the other eye pieces free for viewing with human eyeballs. One of the things I enjoyed the most in science class back in high school in Adelaide was viewing those microscopic critters in pond water that looked more bizarre than any alien you'd see in a science fiction movie.
I was essaying irony—I thought the rolling eyes pointed in that direction. Mmmm.

… speaking of chromatic aberration, I had a really bad case of colour fringing while shooting a colony of fruit bats this year in Yeppoon, Queensland. I was shooting against the light using a slow telephoto lens (the Olympus 40 - 150mm f4 - 5.6) so that certainly didn't help. I had to brighten the images a bit in Adobe Lightroom but the resulting colour fringing was extremely severe - the worst Ive ever seen. I was able to reduce a bit of it in Lightroom but still, a lot of it remains. The CA is so extreme that you don't even need to zoom in to see it.
Sample? I find Capture One to be very good at CA correction. I had a Zuiko 4/3 40–150 f/3.5–4.5 adapted to my Lumix G3—sharpness-wise it barked from around 90mm up, but had little CA (or was it simply well-corrected in C1?). :p

Its replacement, a Lumix 45–175mm f/4–5.6 is surprisingly good but slow, with hard-to-correct in C1 pincushion distortion at the long end.

I was essaying irony—I thought the rolling eyes pointed in that direction. Mmmm.
Oh I saw the irony! Yea I think I was wrong for putting all the unnecessary clutter in my post.

Sample? I find Capture One to be very good at CA correction. I had a Zuiko 4/3 40–150 f/3.5–4.5 adapted to my Lumix G3—sharpness-wise it barked from around 90mm up, but had little CA (or was it simply well-corrected in C1?). :p
I haven't uploaded any samples yet - maybe I'll post some on Flickr. Though because of the bad colour fringing, I may only have them online temporarily. I'm not familiar with Capture One - I'll have to look into that software. Lightroom is usually pretty good at correcting most CA generally but it couldn't do much with the fruit bat photos.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I haven't tried with a microscope, and as you point out, good ones are expensive. I'm sure Olympus makes one with a m4/3 adapter, but being a leading supplier to the medical industry, I suppose the prices of their microscopes are prohibitive.

A cheapish and probably very functional solution is to buy an OM-adapter, one of the excellent OM macro lenses and an OM bellows or the very functional telescopic extension tube for OM. Even the cheap OM 50mm f/3.5 macro is a good lens, and the lenses designed for use with bellows or extension tubes are even better.

Here's a photo of the extension tube:

A cheapish and probably very functional solution is to buy an OM-adapter, one of the excellent OM macro lenses and an OM bellows or the very functional telescopic extension tube for OM. Even the cheap OM 50mm f/3.5 macro is a good lens, and the lenses designed for use with bellows or extension tubes are even better.
I do have a Canon FD 50mm f3.5 macro lens that I occasionally use with my Panasonic M4/3 cameras. It came in handy for this pic of a black rock scorpion (Urodacus manicatus) under uv lighting.

Though Ive never used bellows - I bet I'd get some pretty impressive magnification with that.

seb

Wonderful Anna, and thanks for your kind words and the link.
I like the first. Though, you had to turn off the light at Tourbillon first. :D

We got our national feast and fireworks a few days ago and I used the E-M5II along with the 40-150mm F2.8 pro zoom to catch it from my window. The contrast was very high, because the sky was completely cloudy and the night was very dark. I had to underexpose a lot in order to keep details in the highlights of the fireworks.

Here are a few :

Long shot

Olympus E-M5 Lumix 45–175 at 175mm 1/640 f/6.3 ISO 400[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Yay Hindley Street! That reminds me of a similar shot of the infamous Adelaide street that I took a number of years ago on 35mm slide film. I was using a Vivitar 75 - 300mm zoom to exploit the telephoto compression. Like your image, it made Hindley Street look rather hilly. I really like the colours in all three of your Hindley Street photos.