The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

bensonga

I spent 3.5 days at the Laguna Seca track for the Monterey Motorsports Reunion practices, qualifying and races last Thurs-Sunday. I took the GH3 with the 100-300, a GX8 with a 12-35/2.8 and a second GX8 with a 35-100/2.8 lens attached so I wouldn't have to change lenses while out shooting. This was a perfect setup for me. I took several hundred photos and will have to spend quite a bit of time sorting thru them. Had so much fun watching 548 historic race cars from 15 different groups dating from 1911 to 2001. Here are a few pics of Group 1A (pre-1940 sport racing and 1927-51 racing cars), Group 4A (1973-81 FIA, IMSA GT, GTX, AAGT and GTU cars) and Group 7B (1967-1984 Formula One cars).

Gary

bensonga

Another wonderful aspect of the Monterey Motorsports Reunion is being able to freely walk thru the paddock areas to see (and hear) these historic race cars up close.

These were all shot with my GX8 and the 12-35/2.8 lens.

Gary

bensonga

In addition to the 548 historic race cars at the Monterey Motorsport Reunion, there were a few modern race cars on display in the Porsche, BMW etc paddock areas. This Porsche 919 Le Mans Hybrid was especially impressive to me.

Gary

GX8 and the 12-35/2.8 lens

mediumcool

Metal stairs

Olympus E-M5 w/ Zuiko 11–22 zoom 1/125 f/5.6 ISO 320
Three adjustment layers in C1

Original

RAW rendered at defaults from C1

mediumcool

The Fat Man of Love

Olympus E-M5 Lumix 25mm f/1.7 1/1600 f/2 ISO 1250
Harry Van Venetie, music and performance legend from Adelaide, South Australia. At the end of summer, in February 2016.

mediumcool

Distortion correction

The Lumix 12–32 zoom is a remarkably tiny and sharp lens; it’s my walk-around optic of choice. But the distortion at 12mm is awesome, and not in a good way. 75% correction was applied in Capture One to straighten the wall in the distance on the LHS, and the gap between the double doors in the RHS foreground.

The two arrows towards the core of the image point to obvious barrel distortion, which if corrected (I had to push the slider to 120%!) would have created huge pincushion distortion in the outer margins.

No worries though—I have an excellent 4/3 Zuiko 11–22mm zoom which has been profiled in C1 and works very well. But the tiny Lumix weighs 70g with a 37mm filter vs a hefty 485g/72mm for the Zuiko. Nearly 7x heavier, for half-a-stop and 1mm wider!

Panasonic needs to supply sample lenses to PhaseOne for analysis; Olympus is clearly well ahead in this area.

Last edited: