The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

Francis Crick Institute for biomedical research at Kings Cross, London.

Panasonic GX8, Olympus Zuiko Pro 7-14/2.8

pegelli

GX8+100-400.
Nice pictures but are these large crops? I'm asking because they seem to have more noise at iso 1250 then your starling shot below at 1600 iso.
But despite the noise the feather detail of the blue tit still looks quite good.

biglouis

Excellent, Louis. That lens has a high WOW-factor.
Thanks, I'm glad I bought it. But I'd not say it was worth 2-3 times the price of the 100-300.

Nice pictures but are these large crops? I'm asking because they seem to have more noise at iso 1250 then your starling shot below at 1600 iso.
But despite the noise the feather detail of the blue tit still looks quite good.
In the interests of community and sharing here is the image straight out of the camera without any post processing and full size (beware that the download full file size is 13mb). You can see it is not a large crop - I was maybe 20 feet from the birds so at 300mm the tableau pretty much filled the frame. Obviously, in post processing I have punched-up the RAW image.

300mm, iso1600 1/200 f6.3

pegelli

In the interests of community and sharing here is the image straight out of the camera without any post processing and full size (beware that the download full file size is 13mb). You can see it is not a large crop - I was maybe 20 feet from the birds so at 300mm the tableau pretty much filled the frame. Obviously, in post processing I have punched-up the RAW image.
Thanks Louis, sorry for confusing you but my question on the crop was actually on the blue tit and hawk in one of your earlier posts. I was wondering if those two shots were large crops, since they seem to have a lot more noise then the starling shot.

biglouis

Thanks Louis, sorry for confusing you but my question on the crop was actually on the blue tit and hawk in one of your earlier posts. I was wondering if those two shots were large crops, since they seem to have a lot more noise then the starling shot.
Yes, absolutely. They are maybe 20% of the central frame. In fact, they are not the best output and they were also handheld. I'd say they were on the edge of acceptable and as you've seen I can achieve much sharper shots with less noise. It is still my plan to get out to some bird sanctuaries with proper blinds where I can take my time. At present my only experience is backyard shots.

LouisB

biglouis

Neighbourhood fox making free with the Iams we leave out for the local cats. Shot through window.

GX8+100-400